Are IHC locomotives any good?

I've always liked their steamers, but the diesels are lower on the totem pole than Bachman.
For $75 I'd look for Athearn, unless things have changed since I've owned one.

I haven't read any enthusiastic personal reviews about IHC diesels, and I agree that their steamers are generally good value if you don't mind that almost any one you pick up won't look a lot like the decalled railroad's type. They are generic.

You should be able to scout around and fine bargains for P2K and Genesis models. They are on eBay all the time, and trainworld advertises good prices.

Don't overlook modeltrainstuff.com...that is M. B. Klein, and they are a very good outfit.

-Crandell

IHC diesels are very old technology with very crude detail. You can probably find an Atlas SD-35 DC only version for that price. Much better quality. If you want to spend less you can get Bachmann Spectrum DCC versions of many diesels for about $40.00 to $75.00. I know there are people who don't like Bachmann and never will but I have about a dozen of them and I love them. They look good and run well. I have over one hundred locomotives from Atlas, Bachmann, Proto 2000, Broadway Limited and others so I know the differences.

IHC's premier line (mostly made by Mehano) has a decent drive and a very good can motor, but the details (or lack thereof) are horrible.

Back