Anyone do their own photo-etches?

Hi,

A little update; I've been "testing" the MM Copy Chrome kit mentioned above.....

The instructions say the work should be polished with Flitz before chroming, but I found sanding (3200 then 6000 grade) produced a better finish.

The pic below shows a couple of pieces plated with the wand that's included and then one that was "bathed" - Much better in the bath.

It also seems that brass is easier to plate than SS, so the next etch will be brass.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian,

Looking good! But just to stir the pot a little bit... :rolleyes:

Will the chrome plating tarnish? And if so -- soon enough to be a problem, or maybe so far down the road that ya won't care?

(Ain't I a stinker!?)

Still looking forward to your finished product -- I think that Ford switcher is pretty good looking!

Regards,
Tom

p.s. While I stirring... what do you bet that about the time you get yours finished, some commercial concern will release a model of the Ford switcher for about, oh, $60-$70 bucks or so? ;)

Looking good! But just to stir the pot a little bit... :rolleyes:

Go ahead & stir - Better than no comments at all!.....

Will the chrome plating tarnish? And if so -- soon enough to be a problem, or maybe so far down the road that ya won't care?

(Ain't I a stinker!?)

:D I'm hoping it won't tarnish - I believe that is (should be?) one of the advantages of "chrome"...... I guess I'm about to find out.

Still looking forward to your finished product -- I think that Ford switcher is pretty good looking!

I think it will look awesome in my V&T colors with chromed handrails et al - I'm about to do another etch primarily to try and get the grilles.

p.s. While I stirring... what do you bet that about the time you get yours finished, some commercial concern will release a model of the Ford switcher for about, oh, $60-$70 bucks or so? ;)

I'd say it's almost a 100% certainty! ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Ian,

I know that it's "summer", and there's a lot more to do away from the hobby workbench -- but do you have a progress update for us?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Tom

I know that it's "summer", and there's a lot more to do away from the hobby workbench -- but do you have a progress update for us?

Keep an eye on my "Fords version" thread - I've gotta upload a few pix later and it's sidetracked me from the PE "experience" for now but I think I've got a handle on how to do the grilles......

Thanks for the comment,
Cheers,
Ian

Back