anybody got 2k i can borrow

Yes, I remember the first time I saw one. I said to myself, now there is a brass loco that is worth the big price tag. I believe the original list prices was $3500. That was 1995 dollars. In real life you can see the small holes on the pipe valve handles, the notches on the throttle handle, the "wrapping on the steam pipes the gauges aren't just brass blobs with a white dot on them. It has been on my "want" list from the first release day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Big Boys are a bit tempting. That monster conveys the huge amount of power that it must possess. Not to mention that I'd bet it dims the house lights when powered up. I'd be afraid to touch it. If that monster fell, you've got a broken foot at least. And the bill to get the foot fixed would probably be cheaper than getting the loco fixed. Between that, the price tag, the fact that it has no business on my layout (I'm doing Rutland, which never had anything anywhere near that big on it's tracks.) and the inability to do curves, I think I'll pass. Awesome machine if you can swing it though.

Love the part about this MTH loco is very rare. When MTH just released a crap load of these things, all available for cheaper prices. I saw some on Trainworld for $419.

And nobody is buying them because of all the bad reviews.

In all fairness to the seller, I think it reasonable to call the loco 'rare.' The 4014 (listed), 4004, 4006, 4012, and 4017 were the cab numbers produced in the first release. I have no idea how many of these locos MTH produced, but I do know that they are hard to come by. Just watch eBay or any other online source. They don't come around often, and when they do, they usually fetch a premium at the end of a bidding war. Granted, his BIN price of $2K was beyond far fetched! Considering that this auction is for #4014, I would not be surprised to see it sell. It's a shame that the big boys changed so much for the second release. I went through three of them (4005, 4018, and another 4005), each with multiple finish and operational problems. Ultimately, I gave up and just asked for a refund. Very disappointing. I don't know if it was a production change, a quality control issue, or what. I'm switching to O-gauge and will be selling off all my UP motive power and rolling stock... mostly to pay for the O scale Big Boy I picked up. Awesome! I'll be interested to see how this seller's auction ends.

It seems that everyone has or is producing the Big Boy. I can't understand the popularity of this specific loco over other articulateds. there were others that were more powerful, and faster, yet this one seems to get more press, and has for years.

While I will not have one, if I ever did get one, it would be brass.

It seems that everyone has or is producing the Big Boy. I can't understand the popularity of this specific loco over other articulateds.

Probably got to give credit to UP's publicity dept. And as far as out in these necks of the woods, the few times I can recall seeing a brass model in a shop, it was always a Big Boy.

It seems that everyone has or is producing the Big Boy. I can't understand the popularity of this specific loco over other articulateds. there were others that were more powerful, and faster, yet this one seems to get more press, and has for years.

While I will not have one, if I ever did get one, it would be brass.

well with union pacific bring back the beast it will only get worse

Yep'well remember the day I. Put my GN. 2-6-8-0 on our club layout during a public show half the comments I received were" Is that a bigboy? After a while it was ....Ah Yep sure is"
theres just no fixing ignorance....

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish someone would come out with a model like the GN/CB&Q T-1 2-6-6-2's. The closest I can come is Mantua's logging articulated, which is really too small in the boiler diameter. The Q didn't use many articulateds, only a single 2-8-8-2, which was mostly used for switching at the Galesburg, Illinois, hump yard. The rest were T-1's and a few slightly larger T-2 2-8-8-2's. The NP did use the equivalent of UP Challenger 4-6-6-4's. With 20-22" and tighter radius curves, a Big Boy or even a Challenger wouldn't work for me.

Back