AC OR DC to run my trains

mowman24

I am just putting together stuff for a layout. I am panning to run 3 small circuits with 3 different engines. All pretty old. Well the Kline o4o switcher is only about 15 or 20, but the Lionel. southern pacific is ??? age, and the other. is an old Marx from who knows?? The Southern is that awful green. I need to know weather to run them on Ac or Dc. I thought the manual for the K Line said AC only, but the others I was pretty sure I u sed to run on DC. But my memory is not like a 59 year old anymore. Of course neither is any other part of me. LOL

Engines numbers would help. You can try the tender with an AC transformer with a whistle button. See if it whistles.
The tender will have a center roller if it has a whistle.

I am just putting together stuff for a layout. I am panning to run 3 small circuits with 3 different engines. All pretty old. Well the Kline o4o switcher is only about 15 or 20, but the Lionel. southern pacific is ??? age, and the other. is an old Marx from who knows?? The Southern is that awful green. I need to know weather to run them on Ac or Dc. I thought the manual for the K Line said AC only, but the others I was pretty sure I u sed to run on DC.
My rule of thumb is if it is old three rail it will be AC. I am very certain all Marx O-gauge is AC.

The only 3 rail DC I know of is that the Lionel Lion Chief that can use DC or AC.

And you know, it is not going to hurt a locomotive to put it on the track and give it a try. Hit it with a shot of AC and see if it moves, if not try a jolt of DC and see if that works. As long as you don't just let a locomotive sit there doing nothing they should be fine while you "test".

This one?
1710214033289.jpeg

When Lionel first used a can DC motor, there were DC sets. This was back in the 70's MPC Era. The Lazer set was one of them. Because of the DC, none had whistle tenders. Later the Electronic e unit converted these engines to AC track.

You have to identify your engines. Can or wire wound motor, Two or three rail, Lever or electronic reverse unit. Over time Lionel probably covered it.

The first Sound of Steam was an electronic board making static sound with AC.

I am just putting together stuff for a layout. I am panning to run 3 small circuits with 3 different engines. All pretty old. Well the Kline o4o switcher is only about 15 or 20, but the Lionel. southern pacific is ??? age, and the other. is an old Marx from who knows?? The Southern is that awful green. I need to know weather to run them on Ac or Dc. I thought the manual for the K Line said AC only, but the others I was pretty sure I u sed to run on DC. But my memory is not like a 59 year old anymore. Of course neither is any other part of me. LOL
Odds are, based on your brief description, heavily leaning towards AC power for all three of them. As inferred by everyone else, with some more proper info. we could figure it out for certain.

They are all 3 rail, and I believe the Marx is a wire wound motor as it is the only one I have seen the motor on, and it had a lot if copper windings. the Lionel silver streak 2/4/0 tender doesn't have any electrical connections, just a big rubber covered wheel that runs on the center rail. The tender for the Marx has no connections

My rule of thumb is if it is old three rail it will be AC. I am very certain all Marx O-gauge is AC.

The only 3 rail DC I know of is that the Lionel Lion Chief that can use DC or AC.

And you know, it is not going to hurt a locomotive to put it on the track and give it a try. Hit it with a shot of AC and see if it moves, if not try a jolt of DC and see if that works. As long as you don't just let a locomotive sit there doing nothing they should be fine while you "test".

This one?
View attachment 183701that is the green, but smaller and not silver nose

Bingo! 8314 is a DC engine with a can motor. To get it to run on ac A bridge rectifier or electronic e unit is needed. One give away is the drum roller tender for sound.

In order to reverse the motor electrical contacts are moved mechanically by a drum. This is call an e unit and normally a lever will stick out of the top of the shell. In the seventies DC motors came on the scene and were reversed by means of an electronic board that mounted sideway in the rear of the frame.

The 1666 is an AC motor with a different reverse unit. It is forward or reverse. When power is applied a pawl rises and moves a wedge. This allows a change of direction depending on the angle of the wedge.

I have a DC motor Lionel on my table. It is on a trolley line and goes back and forth. I use relay timer to operate it.

If you look at Iron Horseman picture above, you will see the lever sticking out near the cab

Ok, so now I need at least one more transformer, as I have one Lionel that has both ac and sc output, but how do I tell when buying a used one if it puts out ac or dc? And don't tell me check with a vom, as I am talking buying on line. Are there certain model numbers to look for?

Most DC transformers are referred to as "Power Packs"

Most AC transformers are referred to as "Transformers"

Look closely at the photos of what you are buying. The label should tell you the output. Also look at the power cords and inspect everything for any damage. If the photos don't show you enough, look for another that has more photos.

##

Ok, just checked my stash, and I have a Lionel #4063 that has terminals marked D/C track. and 2 marked A/C accessories. I guess that is pretty self explanatory. Except, am I right in assuming that the A/C terminals CANNOT be used to power track for a train. ?? It is marked transformer

Also heve a Marx # 1239 hobby transformer, just 2 output terminals. I assume it is A/C?
Also have a Lionel what I assume to be a VERY OLD transformer, as it is larger, and has 4 terminals marked a b c and one more. A chart on the side telling which ones to hook together to get which voltages. I assume this is also A/C or am I wrong again??
I am learning a lot from this forum, and I really appreciate it

##

Ok, just checked my stash, and I have a Lionel #4063 that has terminals marked D/C track. and 2 marked A/C accessories. I guess that is pretty self explanatory. Except, am I right in assuming that the A/C terminals CANNOT be used to power track for a train. ?? It is marked transformer
I'm not familiar with the Lionel #4063

I would assume you cannot use the accessory output to power a train. I would think a train would draw too much power for an accessory output.

We need to ask @Dub He knows this postwar stuff much better than I do.

Also heve a Marx # 1239 hobby transformer, just 2 output terminals. I assume it is A/C?
Marx # 1239 hobby transformer -50 watts AC

I'm learning some things along with you! 😁

I'm not familiar with the Lionel #4063

I would assume you cannot use the accessory output to power a train. I would think a train would draw too much power for an accessory output.

We need to ask @Dub He knows this postwar stuff much better than I do.

Marx # 1239 hobby transformer -50 watts AC

I'm learning some things along with you! 😁
So anybody know anything about the really old one? since my volt meter set on dc won't read anything but kinda jumps around I am assuming it is A/C.
So I guess it looks like I have 2 a/c and one d/c.

Back