A few ideas for a small switching layout

This is a pic of my small layout at the very start of scenicing and when complete. it started as an Inglenook but I decided to add some trackage. But just angleing your lead track at the left and a bit of space on the tracks at the right of your plan will add visual interest. https://photos.smugmug.com/Trackplans/i-T3KxdnD/0/88fcf092/L/2018060512534337-DSCN1158-L.jpg
Amazing layout ! What are the dimensions of your layout ? What scale is it ? H0 maybe ? Thanks.

Last edited:
After looking at numerous switching layouts, I finally put my feet back on the ground. The construction of such a layout is well beyond my very poor skills in railroad modeling. Sorry folks... :oops: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've watched a lot of switching layout videos. It looks like I will need Kadee magnetic uncouplers. How much ? Which model ? #312 or #321? Where should I put them ? Do they work with Bachmann couplers ?
Sorry for all these newbie questions.

850.jpg

I think the 321 is delayed uncoupling and the 312 isn’t for some reason. Anyone?
You'd place it left of the switch so you can push cars to any track.
You can also disguise it as a road crossing, should you decide to add scenery.
Now go and build the dang thing and have fun! 😝

Kadee #321 is a delayed action uncoupler, which means shunting the cars forwards and backwards to release the coupling, Kadee#312 is simpler to use in that once the car is positioned over it, as soon as the tension on the coupling is removed, it immediately releases.

Personally, I'd go either #312 or a Bamboo skewer.

Back