3 Bay Car Shop

Actually thought about that as well but it goes back to the way the fibre emits light - as a beam. If I placed them through the floor of the pit, the light would go straight up. That'd be great for seeing the underside of an engine though :) Heating the end of it (the fibre) creates a "bulb" shape and that does disperse the light more; however, the larger the "bulb" the less light.

I really don't think I can use the fibre for the pits unless I put some in shining upwards for the reason stated. Might not be realistic but might look interesting :)

Better yet, have you seen the plastic or acrylic strips Kato uses in their passenger car lighting? Maybe a strip with the white paint to reflect the light along the strip?

I think the upwards light would definitely bring a cool look as long as an engine was above the pit. Don't know if the bay was empty. Maybe turn the light off until a loco is there?

You know something, I think I am only looking for short cuts for the lighting, something that is simple and straight forward. I've always maintained that taking short cuts never works in the end so, if I listen to myself, I might just have to do the shop lighting the right way which also happens to be the most work intensive way. At least it would be right in the end.

PS: this was written before the previous post was viewed.

Thanks mate, that is a better price per light. Just got figure out how many I might need now and whether or not the plugs can be cut of them so they can be connected to a wiring bus.

From what I'm seeing on their website, should be doable. It is bare wire before the driver.

It does look that way, yes so your most likely right - the plug should be able to be cut off. I am being difficult but don't want to deal with having to try to conceal plugs or have to buy extensions if they are not needed. Might be interesting to buy one and play with it. If it works, I can then get the rest. If it doesn't - well, put it down to experience.

Okay, well curiosity got the better of me and I have ordered one of the double 2" fluorescent lights - they didn't have any singles in stock.

Okay, well curiosity got the better of me and I have ordered one of the double 2" fluorescent lights - they didn't have any singles in stock.
Man, I need to come hang with you. You get all the cool stuff!! I've been wondering how those tubes would look. I have a Miller Engineering PRR sign and it's high quality. I have no doubt those fluorescent tubes will look good.

Thanks Olie and you'd be more than welcome to come and hang with me. Good to know that you have some of the Miller Engineering stuff and that it is good quality as well. I'm hoping like hell that these will work for me, as they do look great and, I think, would fit well into a car shop or any industrial type building. If they are that good then I have a number of business' that they might fit nicely in as well.

Anyway, as soon as I get them, which could be who knows with Kliens, I'll certainly arc them up and post pictures of how they look.

Sweet! I just placed an order with Klein and they shipped within 2 days of the order. I know they have some issues with fulfilling orders in a timely manner but you really can't beat their prices. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Have you noticed that you and I really never sleep. We post at the oddest hours......

Back