3 Bay Car Shop

Oh yeah, had to stop and think about that for a minute ... fortunately we live in the bush (the country) so we aren't "tormented" by loud noises, even on this day. We might get a neighbor letting of a few bangers and pretty lights for half an hour (maybe) but that's about it for us and something (even my American wife) appreciates.

We have seen so many fireworks displays that, to be perfectly honest, we can't be bothered with them anymore and prefer to sit at home on the porch, throw a few dogs and burgers on the barby, crack a tinny and enjoy the solitude :)

However, I guess I should be sociable and adopt the "when in Rome" principle and say, "Happy 4th of July" to all :cool:

Mike,

It will take a bit of patience and definitely a good pair of tweezers, one of the indispensable tools for N Sale :) Here are some pictures of the interior detail parts. I used a 10 cent piece as a comparison for size:

Fire Extinguishers:
JvBGOOz.jpg

Cabinets:
MW51aeT.jpg

Work Benches:
K2oSNHU.jpg

I have 3 sets of Cabinets and Work Benches to "Paint and Install" :)

A 100' of Optic Fibre Cabling arrived this morning so tonight I will be playing with it and seeing how I can use it in the shop. At the moment I am thinking about discarding the LED's and Lamp Shades (too fiddly) and perhaps using the Fibre Optic as fluorescent lights?

A 100' of Optic Fibre Cabling arrived this morning so tonight I will be playing with it and seeing how I can use it in the shop. At the moment I am thinking about discarding the LED's and Lamp Shades (too fiddly) and perhaps using the Fibre Optic as fluorescent lights?
Tony,

If you bought the fiber optic that only illuminates at the end, would that work as fluorescent? Wouldn't it need to illuminate the whole length of the cable?

Your absolutely correct. I was of the impression the whole cable would be lit like a light loom. Think I thought that as I read where the fibre needed to be painted or covered.

Tony,

The fiber optic cables might be just the ticket for lighting the inspection pits. Since you don't have a lot of room to work with there. I will be interested to see how these look when lighted.

I will be interested to see how these look when lighted.
Sounds like I'm not getting a choice :) But your right, it would be perfect for them. Small 1.5 mm holes drilled in the pit walls would be all it took ... great idea and one I hadn't considered, thank you. I have a few "spare pits" that I will try the fibre out on but I already think it will look great.

What I need to do now though is find an appropriate "light source" for the fibre. What I have (1200 mcd SMD) doesn't seem to produce a great deal of light at the end of the fibre. It glows more than it does omit light for an area.

Is there a way to tone down the light so its not blasting the other wall? maybe add a resistor?

This was just a test but yeah - seems as though all of the light is hitting the opposite wall and going now where else. The test LED is a 1200 mcd with a 1K resistor attached. I have 530 mcd LED's and 2K & 3K resistors, but I don't think that will solve the lack of light dispersion, all of the light, no matter how dull or bright, is going straight out to the opposite wall.

Your probably right. Light will hit the other side no matter what since the beam is being directed by the cable. the only other experiment I could suggest is putting another one directly on the other side, but that's grasping at straws.

Yeah, it was a good thought though but IF I am going to light the pits I will have to use LED's so the light is a little more dispersed.

Olie,

I doubt there is enough room in the wall of the pit to fit one of the lamp shades into it. That being said, apparently optic fibre produces a light source as a "beam" from its end. The only thing I have read, regarding light dispersion, is to rough up the end of the fibre or the "bulb" created at the end of the fibre. I did try that and the difference in light dispersal was negligible in such a confined space.

Back