Search results

1. H

Programming dual decoders

Ok I just baught a MRC 1662 Sound only decoder. I been reading up programming them so they work togather. So far what I THINK i have to do set the Motor Decoder CV1=3 and the sound decoder to CV1=4 if thats right. Then I have to set CV29 to 2 to activate the short address for both decoders. Then...
  2. H

Is this a bad color for this kit?

I wanted to use floquil depot buff, but I don't have an airbrush. I don't really want to wait to get an airbrush to paint this kit so I went with spray painting 3 coats of a medium greyish color on it. Is this realistically accurate for a flour mill? does it look ok?
  3. H

trying to find the perfect kits for this building

I have been searching and searching and trying to decided what to use that will best fit this structure. And these are the only items I found that could possibly match. The engine facility seems way off but I can't find any building with the barn like shape and also that is the...
  4. H

using outside dirt on your layout

I was wondering if I could take dirt and sand from a location that I'm modeling and use it on the layout with any problems? I heard of people baking the dirt to get all the contaminants out. Thanks in adavace
  5. H

getting a ground throw to fit

I'm trying to figuere out how I could get a caboose industries ground throw to fit inbetween these turnouts but no light bulbs above my head. Anyone have any tricks up thier sleeve they could share?? Thanks
  6. H

Using real pictures for backdrops

With my prototype layout the railroad is in front of the Mississippi River and I would love to capture that image and use it as a background. I was wondering if anyone here had taken pictures, used photoshop to size them and printed them off say at kinkos?
  7. H

Using LEDS with Details West Ditch Lights

If I used 3mm LEDs with Details West DL 243 w/platforms ditch lighs will they fit? I know the grain of wheat bulbs fit but I would rather use LEDS. Would I be able to bend the LED forward so that it shines out of the casing and fit that way. Or would I have to just keep the LED pointing straight...
  8. H

What Number Tunrouts would you prefer?

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should have the turnouts in the red circle be #4s or #6s. I'm only running geeps and slow speed switching threw the crossover tracks and the siding. But eventually when I add on I will be having long frieght and modern sized engines running on the mainline...
  9. H

Wiring insulfrog turnouts

I'm about ready to install all Peco Insulfrog turnouts. from differant posts I have read on wiring turnouts this seems like it would work. But when I take a second look at it, it seems like it's too much. Would all the drops be neccasary?
  10. H

Caboose Kit help!

I really need this model on my layout. But the kit looks too advanced for me. Is there anyone I could contact that could help build and paint the kit for me for a reasonable price? http://www.railyardmodels.com/catalog/mopacsbwcaboose.html
  11. H

Detail Associates HO coupler lift bars

I'm having a little trouble figuering out which coupler bars to get for a GP38-2 GP40-2, and ac4400cw. On some websites they have 3 differant ones. When you add these do you have to bend them or modify them other than painting?
  12. H

Question about Athearn GP38-2 Locos

I'm sure some of you have purchased a RTR GP38-2 by Athearn and noticed that they don't come with snow plows or MU hoses. My question is, who would be the best to buy these items from for a UP GP38-2? Details west has some parts but do that look accurate and fit? Thanks!!
  13. H

My new layout plan

Yes I did it in paint, I haven't downloaded any software yet But I will. Anywho, This is a rough scratch of what my 2x16 switching layout will be. later on I will add on to it. It is a prototype layout of the Ste. Genevieve Union Pacific Yard and the Terminal and Production facility. The Lime...
  14. H

Need a little help

My main Industry on my switching layout will be the Mississippi Lime Kiln. But I am unsure what kit I could use to look as similiar as possible to the prototype. It would be very diffacult to build this from scratch. Let me in on your thoughts on what would work good becuase I can't find...
  15. H

I haven't shown off in a while

Becuase I sold my last layout to start over since I'm moving in to a house. But what I have been doing is alot of railfanning this past month at the Kirkwood Train Station in St. Louis. So I made this little video of some of the footage I had collected. http://youtube.com/watch?v=VRXPR54_HvU...
  16. H

couple questions about scene backdrops

I have a 5x9 table and I want to divide it in half with a backdrop. My 2 questions are, what is the best material to use to for a backdrop? And what is the best technique to stand the backdrop up from the middle of the table? Thanks!
  17. H

I finally got a Camera

I just bought myself the Canon S5IS. I been on here for a while and haven't been able to post my progress so here we are. My latest buy for the layout was today, Bought my first #6 RH Peco SL turnout and my ADM grain hopper oh and the Walthers "bible". Since the Walthers turnouts are never...
  18. H

Question oabout ADM Grain Elevator Kit

I just picked this up tonight and its my first kit. If anyone here has built this kit or knows about it, Should I use liquid plastic cement for all of the pieces? It doesn't seem like anything snaps togather. What is the easiest way to put this togather? The instructions are kind of vague...
  19. H

I'l tell you what I'm going to run...(video)

I'm gunna run these bad boy son of guns on my layout. I love this video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=JxlbneQeX6o BTW Can these run on 22" radius. the HO Scale that is. HAHA P.s. If anyone would like a copy of this 3 hour Diesel DVD I can send it to you.
  20. H

What Scale would you prefer for this.....

I'm at the undecisive part. Before I built the 5x9 benchwork I had my mine set on HO. Now after it's built, i'm thinking I would be able to fit more if I went to N scale. But HO Seems to have everything more available and it seems easier to work with. I need some opinions. so I guess the real...

Back