trying to find the perfect kits for this building

hotwinger

HO Switchman
I have been searching and searching and trying to decided what to use that will best fit this structure.
3286527531_04188e5d78.jpg

And these are the only items I found that could possibly match.
302.jpg

541-8002.jpg

The engine facility seems way off but I can't find any building with the barn like shape and also that is the greyish metal color. If anyone has any ideas please share.
Thanks,
Mike

Mike, is that actually a sand and gravel plant? Looks like more of a cement plant to me. It looks like a small version of Walthers Medusa Cement plant. Other than that kit, which has been discontined, I know of no other kit with the type of car loading shed in that picture.

Your problem in finding something exactly like you want is what usually has modelers scratchbuilding or kitbashing what they want. Especially trying to find a starting structure that is the color you want; that's why model paint is available.

your problem in finding something exactly like you want is what usually has modelers scratchbuilding or kitbashing what they want. Especially trying to find a starting structure that is the color you want; that's why model paint is available.

ditto

Scratch building is the way to go, however those kits look good enough for general representation.

Thanks guys, I might just consider in kitbashing those kits then.
It's not a cement plant, it's actually a Lime river terminal for barges. They take the lime out of the hoppers and spill it into the barges by this long crane looking thing. (view blocked by the cars)

For a building with thin, sheet metal walls like that, I wouldn't go out and buy sheet styrene or a kit right away. I would first try thin cardboard, like the kind used for poptart or mac n' cheese boxes. I've found that one can do some pretty amazing stuff with cardboard and cardstock.

Well I tried the poptart method that weekendrailroader suggested.
I had some empty serial boxes laying around and thought I would give it a try.
Didn't turn out too bad.
what could I use to stiffin up the chipboard before painting??

3289624908_528fcee857.jpg

3289622648_3e4a1f0a5f.jpg

Glad to see that it worked.:) I have had some trouble with cardstock warping in the past from painting, but that's cardstock, not cardboard. I'll paint a flat piece of the same stuff you're using and see if any warping occurs. Once it's dry, I'll let you know whether it warped or not. I'll be using the paints that come in little plastic squeeze bottles, commonly used for painting plaster Christmas village buildings.

Well, my samples are pretty much dry. The cardboard did warp some, though painting both sides seemed to help. Even if you only paint one side, I was able to make the cardboard nice and flat again by gently bending it in the opposite direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine ended up warping quite a bit. It's real loose now since it's been wet.
3289887188_ab923e4d81.jpg

I might just get some Evergreen Scale styrene, the corrugated metal siding and give that a shot.

From the photo it doesn't look to be beyond hope. Once it's completely dry, you might try gently bending the warped pieces in the opposite direction that they warped in, making sure not to fold a crease in the board, until they come to rest in a desirable position.

Mike,

I would scratch build the structure. Before you start, make a card stock or thin sheet plastic .020 template. Make sure you accurately cut the template and then trace on to the material you want to use and make the end pieces. Is the real structure made of corragated sheet metal or cast concrete? If it is cast concrete, spray the exterior sides with Rustoleum Textured Paint white paint and then paint to match if necessary. The texture paint gives the exterior a rough cast look. I have included a photo of an open sided engine house that was done with corregated sheet plastic.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024-2.png

Larry

The prototype looks to be made from corrugated sheet metal.

I really like your structure you have there. Where did you get the stair case and did you make the support beams your self or did you buy them like that?

Mike,

The I-Beam frame for the building is made up from Plastruct I-beam pieces. Vertical I-beams come down from a square I-beam frame. The corregated siding is Plastruct and is glued to the upper framing and vertical I-beams. The cross bracing is made up of Plastruct square stock. I believe the stairs are Plastruct pieces and the support frame is scratch built. The railings are from Central Valley (#1601) and can be purchased through Walthers or ordered directly through Central Valley (www.cvmw.com). The upper landing near the door was scratch built as was the small office inside. The catwalk was also scratch built. The engine house is not totally completed since I decided not to use it in my current Florida switching layout.

Larry

Thanks for the info LArry. Boy it's hard to determine what H,W,T to pick for those I-beams.
I like the size you used.

Mike,

I will try to get a size for you. I will need to take a piece of scrap down to the LHS. I will send you an email when I get this information.

Larry

Back