Search results

1. Black Davy

Conway Coal Photos

So I am pretty much complete with the basic structures, vehicles, and cars so I took a few shots. Detail items will be added over time.
  2. Black Davy

Converted Plow Truck to Coal Truck

With spring here and the duties of the farm and work I have not had much time to work on the Conway Coal layout. I finally stripped the B&M blue paint off the plow truck. Stripped with brake fluid, cleaned, primed and painted. I added head lights, blinkers, tail lights, side boards and Conway...
  3. Black Davy

Working on a better version of a Cletrac Tractor

After looking at more photos of Cletrac / Oliver tractors I decided to cut up the Tyco tractor a bit to make a more realistic reresentation.
  4. Black Davy

Large Coal Piles made easy

To make large piles of coal without a mess and waiting for glue to dry deep inside a pile I choose to sculpt a foam base first and test fit into the pocket and then coat with black paint full strength. I then wrap with saran wrap to protect the outlying structure from glue and place it in the...
  5. Black Davy

Cletrac Dozer with Nelson Coal Screw Conveyer.

I decided I wanted a conveyer at Conway Coal that no one else had. I found the 1950 patent from B.B. Nelson for the Coal Screw Conveyer that went on a dozer. I Used my old Tyco I believe dozer and made it look like a Cletrac dozer from the 1930’s. Items used for build. Tyco dozer, styrene tube...
  6. Black Davy

Clumps of grass from jute twine for Conway Coal

I started to work on my grass clumps using the saran wrap technique I read on http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/fur_grass/ I used jute twine and clipped in the appropriate lengths. The jute was then dyed in the color. I have natural jute, green and brown. I then clipped small lengths off a...
  7. Black Davy

Conway Coal Yard progress

Coal Yard Progression, So I am working on the fictitious version of Conway Coal so I can show the different scale versions of Coal I have. I am utilizing inexpensive scratch build material most anyone can utilize to produce a decent looking set up. I work in Retail Construction so I am...
  8. Black Davy

Coal Pocket Foundation Walls

Just starting the first structure on my layout. This is going to be the 500 ton coal pocket that is on my property that was once the old Conway Coal Co. I started off with some balsa scrap from an old boat model that was just about the right thickness. I've added durabond in multiple coats and...
  9. Black Davy

New guy here to an old hobby who now owns a old coal company.

Hey everyone, I'm Black Davy, why Black? I'm the Black Irish and I own an old coal company that has lots of Black Coal. I've always had my trains and lived next to the rail all my life, now that I own the family homestead / coal company est 1903, its time to get back at it again. I always had...

Back