Search results

1. D

Insulated Frog or elecro frog for DCC

Purchasing Peco turnouts for my Steam locomotive era layout . Does it make any difference wiring wise for purchasing Electro Frogs. I am using insulated frogs but need a 3 way turnout and my the local store has only the Electro (power routed) frog . This turnout is for a Stub end yard and...
  2. D

Advise on removing HO steam loco drive wheel

I need to remove a drive wheel from a Broadway limited PRR M1b 4-8-2 to send back to replace the nylon gear on the axel. What is the safest way to remove from the attached rods? (needle nose pliers?) Is the screw normal thread (turn: Righty tighty, Lefty Loosey) , or reverse threaded?) There...
  3. D

Appropriate DCC Block size

I am starting to lay track on my first DCC mid-sized layout. I am using the MRC Tech 6.0 6 AMP out put Sound Control. (Will probably upgrade eventually as it can only program 6 trains. ) My first block is a single track Main about 15 feet long with TWO 8 ft parallel Staging tracks . At any...
  4. D

Plastic shims under turnout throws for smoother motion??

I am going to use Peco turnouts on foam roadbed. I plan to hand throw all switches. I read that it is helpful to place a thin plastic sheet under the throw bars to add in ease of movement. I was going to drill a 1/2 inch hole under the turnout track center throw before laying down in case...
  5. D

Florescent bulb type

I am stringing 2 Bulb florescent lighting down the length of my shelf layout . I purchased GE T12 Daylight High color rendering (very cool bluish white light) 40 W 2,050 Lumens. Is there a better color rendering or perhaps as in the picture, a second row with a different type to mix hues...
  6. D

What brand of DAP to use for laying foam/ cork roadbed and track ?

I can not find any grey acrylic caulk. I used the white but ugly on the black foam and could show up near switch points or areas after adding gravel. They have Clear but that is shiny .. which do you use flat white or glossy clear ( paint before adding ballast?
  7. D

Woodland Scenics Foam Track-bed or Cork track bed

Building a plywood "cookie cutter " layout with risers for elevations. I am using latex caulk to to adhere both track and roadbed to the plywood strips . Do you prefer Woodland Scenics Foam Track-bed or Cork? I am thinking cork better as I would be better able to smooth transitions...
  8. D

Does MDC tech 6 sound controller 6.0 give full sound options ?

Does any one know if the MRC Tech 6 Sound Controller 6.0 give the full availability of sounds for BLI? I have purchased several BLI Paragon 2 steam locos and will be getting a Paragon 3. I bought the MDC 6 because it allows both my old DC to work and use my new BLI sound locos. Good...
  9. D

Decoder Installer pro-shops

Are there any stores or individuals that install decoders on older equipment? I have some older steam I would like to add decoders (and sound if possible) . One challenge is a 0-6-0 Mantua Goat Camelback witch is may favorite shifter for yard work. thank you
  10. D

space to Support for scenery

I have an open grid self construction for a logging layout in HO Scale. I am doing cookie cutter plywood sub roadbed under the usual Atlas cork roadbed strips. My question is how far out from the cork should I cut the plywood to be able to attach scenery. I will be using plaster soaked...
  11. D

center track spacing for hidden staging tracks

I am building a STRAIGHT (10ft long) hidden Staging track under main shelf layout... What would be a good center track spacing amount for the 4 tracks? 1" 1/2 ? or do I need 2" (no curves) I want to keep them as close to the front of the layout for any derailments as the main layout will...
  12. D

To Cleat or Not to Cleat

I am building a mid size multi level self HO railroad and using 1/2 plywood for my roadbed. The risers are 1 x 3 " and will be screwed into the cross members of my base. The cross members are spaced about 15" apart Can I wood glue the top of riser to the bottom of the roadbed as a butt joint...
  13. D

What is a good clearance for the edge of a layout on a 22" radius loop back ?

What would you recommend as a good out edge of the layout distance where the track loops back? The outer track is 22" radius. So when I cut the road bed ( cook cutter technique ) the outer edge would be at WHAT radius? I was thinking 25" or 3" from the 22'' track center to allow space to put...
  14. D

Recommended turnout Manufacturers for hand throwing the switch and and DCC

Having been out of railroading for 15 years, and starting a new shelf layout in DCC, I intend to follow the trains and want to hand throw the turnouts . WHAT brands of turnouts do you recommend using? In my past experience with Atlas the grommets and points had electrical failures. I will be...
  15. D

what sub roadbed to use in HO 5/8 ply - 1/2 inch homosote 2. inch foam

I am building a 2 level shelf HO layout along my basement walls. I have humidifiers, heat and A/C in the basement but humidity can vary with season On the lower level I am modelling mountainous terrain (lumber and coal) I have a frame work with 12" placed cross members for risers and cleats...
  16. D

2 shelf layout design

I am designing a two shelf Freelance layout along two walls connected by a helix. The one shelf is to be a city-warf design with the trains then travelling to the other level which is to be a mountain/ logging-coal design. Logically, it makes sense to have the lower level be the city-warf, and...
  17. D

You Light up my life or Placement of lights for shelf layout

I am building a 2 foot deep mostly shelf layout. I built a valance. I would like to place the 2 bulb florescent lights in the best location. (easier to do now then when the layout is underneath.... I placed the lights about 16 inches from wall. please watch video I quickly did (about 3...
  18. D

Benchwork for an Ho helix or "Doughnut Delema"

Happy new year! Can someone tell me the best way to design benchwork to support an HO helix, which is basically a doughnut table! I would like to be able to shimmy up inside the doughnut hole for repair work. I am using L girder benchwork. The helix is for two levels about 18 inched...
  19. D

track spacing

what center track spacing would you all recommend for a straight staging yard in HO scale Is not 3" standard?? It would be at the back of the layout (reachable) , but I would not be doing any coupling Trying to get as many parallel tracks in a s possible. Thanks ALL!
  20. D

Laundry list for layout design

I would like help establishing a laundry list of considerations when designing a new layout. This would be for any sized layout. For instance 1 . Establish the local or region (eastern PA) 2. Interchange 3. Ruling grade You get the idea. This would make a great master list to check my...

Back