2 shelf layout design

dmiller

I am designing a two shelf Freelance layout along two walls connected by a helix. The one shelf is to be a city-warf design with the trains then travelling to the other level which is to be a mountain/ logging-coal design. Logically, it makes sense to have the lower level be the city-warf, and trains travel UP the helix to the second level which is mountain terrain. The thing is, I find the mountain terrain requires more space below track level than the city and I have more vertical space on the lower level.

Would having the city on the top level and the mountains on the lower level (better visibility and less actual grade) look strange? One would be following the trains to the helix with short section of grade going down to the mountains and up to the city, Hopefuly this would NOT feel strange to the operator.

Thank You David Miller

I see nothing with the city on the upper level. It would probably be closer to eye level and any details could be seen easier.

I agree with Chet, I see nothing wrong with the city on top. In my opinion, mountain railroads look better when you have a somewhat "helicopter" view. As Chet says about the city on top, "It would probably be closer to eye level and any details could be seen easier".

Willie

After doing a quick mock up, I did find that with the buildings on the lower (Belt-(waist) level, I saw mostly roof tops and not the fronts as much as with the top level (arm pit level)
Both my upper and lower level are 24" deep .
I did want the back of the city shelf (20 ft long x 2 ft wide with loop backs at ends (one end is the helix ) I did want the city to shelf to have 4 staging tracks at a 3" or so elevated level running the back length of the loop.
On the logging -mining shelf I am planning to have the return loop track weave in and out of the scene . ALL switching be done East to West on front most single track .

Were to put the staging tracks??
1. Where to put the staging tracks if city on top level back of the scene elevated 3-4" visible at portions of scenes ( would need to reach with stool but they are straight staging only, not yards. tough reach-doable. again trains would be run in their position (switches need to thrown).
2. On the lower level (mountains now) along the front but under the 4"risers on top of the girders no real clearance to reach in unless I move the front cars Also no nice valance on the front to skirt the benchwork.

suggestions?

I have seen that layout and website before, it is one awesome project. Cliff is a member of another forum that I visit and he did a step by step layout build there over a few years, including moving the building 10 miles from it's original location to where it resides now.
Willie

The reason I linked it was because David was wondering whether to put his city scenes on the top or bottom levels and where to put the staging. As he has a helix, do as Cliff did and put it off the helix on a third lower level.

I watched the build on that layout from the point where he had the country level almost done. Hadn't been back in a while and see the sites format has changed, love the video journeys.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately I have half of the bench work completed (although it would not be difficult to drop the legs down 4 inches to accommodate an intermediate staging yard. Although I am redoing my drawings to accommodate two 3 track-4 track staging-yards . Thanks for the link to the Magnolia Route that is what I have in mind except in the scale of the lazy "Virginia Creeper" (NW). I will post my drawings for your critical eyes and experience.
David

One thing you can do for staging is to hide the staging tracks under the mountains, but make sure that you have access from underneath. If you're doing an open grid type of benchwork, this should be easy.

That is a great idea to hide under the scenery.
QUESTION...

Which is better staging tracks or two small single end yards?

For individual ( small way freight and passenger trains, and empties in / out) operation as opposed to teams of operators on a midsize layout.

On Dog bone designed layout like mine, would you find Staging tracks (two ended similar to passing sidings) or single ended at both ends (small yard) to simulate point to point. ?

Thanks !

I have two small yards at each end of my main line run as I do operate point to point. I also have three hidden staging tracks which with the use of a drop down bridge will allow for continuous running.

With the hidden staging tracks I can bring in an inbound train to one of the two yards where the cars are sorted and then arranged to go out as local freights to service various industries, dropping off loaded cars or empties to customers and also picking up outbound loads and empties which are returned to one of the two yards. These cars that have been picked up are then made into an outbound train and are moved from the yard to the hidden staging tracks where they will then become inbound trains.

Back