track spacing

dmiller

what center track spacing would you all recommend for a straight staging yard in HO scale Is not 3" standard?? It would be at the back of the layout (reachable) , but I would not be doing any coupling Trying to get as many parallel tracks in a s possible.

Thanks ALL!

2" is standard spacing for HO tracks for mainlines & yards as it's close to the prototype spacing of 14'. 3" spacing would be for people w/ VERY fat fingers. LOL If you're worried about getting your fingers between cars, do some testing using 2 tracks at different spacing to see what works for you. Back in the "olden" days track spacing in yards was 13' requiring the trainmen to walk on top of the cars to do their switching.

Last edited by a moderator:
what center track spacing would you all recommend for a straight staging yard in HO scale Is not 3" standard?? ..., but I would not be doing any coupling Trying to get as many parallel tracks in a s possible.
Is the main goal to get as many tracks in as possible? If so you can get yard tracks as close as 1 3/4". When they are that close if one derails on a "center" track you can forget re-railing. Just have to take it out and put it on somewhere else.

I think that 2" is OK for straights.

BTW, what turnouts do you use? What is the default center-to-center distance for them in parallel?

Mixy

Back