Search results

1. Scordicus

Need help with NCE Power Cab...

I have a Power cab and have recently started installing sound decoders in to my small fleet however I don't particularly like the way the sound stops dead as soon as the controller is set to zero speed, so I have selected to have the engine sound run on when the control speed is set to zero, on...
  2. Scordicus

Directional lighting CV's set-up...

Now I don't know if this is possible or not to set up, but if it is, I could do with some help! lol.. This is what I would like to achieve on my switching yard layout.. When switching on the loco lights, the lights at both ends are on but dim (Rule 17) not full brightness and do not...
  3. Scordicus

A question of sound...

I was going to post this in the DCC section, but I think it is kind of relevant for almost everyone's opinion.. I have a couple of Soundtraxx sound only decoders, Alco prime mover ones to be precise.. I know these are a few years old as I've had them sitting in a box for nearly two years, one...
  4. Scordicus

Metal detailing parts painting question...

At the moment I'm in the process of super-detailing my Geep fleet (all be it very slowly lol), I'm wondering when it come to the white metal snow plow's & metal lift rings two things.. Do they both need a priming coat first? (I'm presuming the snow plow's do) but also do the DA eye bolts seeing...
  5. Scordicus

Question about reporting marks...

Why would a shortline railroad have different reporting marks on it's rolling stock as to those on it's locomotives?? Is there any particular reason for this??
  6. Scordicus

Tracing motive power...

I know that most new locomotive's are purchased from the manufacturers by class 1 railroads and then when their superseded their sold to other class 1 railroads or short lines rather than being scrapped & broken up. Does anyone know of a website or any other resource where you can track the...
  7. Scordicus

Modern loco number boards...

Are number boards on modern loco's (1990+) no longer back lit?? The reason I ask is because I've seen a couple of photo's on rrpicturearchives.net of loco's with the long hood number boards painted out & new road numbers painted underneath.. I've also recently purchased a Kato GP35 & the...
  8. Scordicus

To strip or not to strip??

I have an HO Kato shell in Santa Fe livery which I intend to paint black for the home road.. The question is, should I try stripping the shell first given the problems that Kato shells can be to strip, or should I just wash it well & paint over the top of the factory paint??
  9. Scordicus

Installing sound in an Kato GP35??

I'd like to hear from anyone that has fitted a sound decoder in to a Kato GP35. I've bought this loco second hand and it seems to me to have a very odd way of lighting the front & rear lights with the LED's in the center.. The loco is DCC ready and just has the jumpers installed at the...
  10. Scordicus

Utility poles!

Despite there being a few good websites out there on what services utility poles carry, I can't seem to find the answer to a specific question.. In an industrial area, how many drops to how many buildings does a typical transformer have? I'm guessing, knowing a little about electricity and...
  11. Scordicus

Shortline Heralds

Does anyone know of an on-line resource for shortline railroad heralds? In particular I'm looking for a decent image of the Kansas & Oklahoma railroad (KO) herald but I can't seem to find one that I can use so that I can make up some loco decals.. Any help would be appreciated..
  12. Scordicus

Help with Aermotor Windmill

Does anyone know of a decent O scale manufacturer of these? I'm really only after the top blade section, I don't mind scratch building the rest if I have too, but I can't seem to be able to find a model of one in O scale, not this side of the pond anyways.. :( A supplier that ships...
  13. Scordicus

Yard Lighting??

I'm currently looking for some modern era yard lights, the type that are usually high up on some type of lattice mast.. I like the Viessmann lights, but unfortunately the problem with their 'Lattice Mast Floodlight' is that the lights on top that I guess are supposed to be spot lights of some...
  14. Scordicus

DCC Sound directory?

Is there a directory of what sound decoders are suitable for what loco's? I'm more after information for HO diesel loco's than anything else.. If there isn't, then maybe a comprehensive list can be built on here...
  15. Scordicus

Share this on your favorite Social Network: Or Google Ads???

What gives??:confused: It seems that either the 'Share this on your favorite Social Network:' Or Google Ads is causing all of the pages to take 10 seconds or so for each page to load up before you get to any posts, this is absolutely infuriating if your trying to read a thread and even more...
  16. Scordicus

Simulating rail joints...

What's the best way to simulate the top of the rail joints in flex-track? I've got some 4 bolt fishplates in order to simulate the joints on the side of the rail, but what is the best way (best tool?) to simulate the break in the top of the rail without actually cutting the rail in two? Does...
  17. Scordicus

Chain sizes for detailing...

I was wondering if anyone knows what size chain (links per inch) is used for detailing in HO? I know loco end safety chain is 40 LPI But what about Brake chains? Loco brake cylinder chain? Box car (or any car for that matter) brake chain? Any others I haven't thought of??
  18. Scordicus

Cosmetic fishplates...

Who manufactures the best looking cosmetic fishplates? Either in plastic or metal, they really are just for looks not connectivity, and also preferably although not absolutely necessary in code 75.. Any make for other codes can be adapted for my personal purposes, but I would like to see what...
  19. Scordicus

East Wyatt Earp Boulevard Yard

I'm embarking on a new 'shelf' layout in HO, the two main center modules are 3'6" x 18" each giving 7' visible operations overall with fiddle/traverser modules being bolted on each end, the idea being that for home use the end modules will be 30"(2'6") long taking the whole thing to 12'x18" and...
  20. Scordicus

Boot Hill & Western Railway (BHWY)

I'm after a little help! I'm trying to find out a little about this 'apparently' shortline railroad, most specifically their color scheme and herald to incorporate in to my new shelf switcher layout that is currently under construction, but I can't seem to find any information or images at...

Back