Metal detailing parts painting question...

Scordicus

At the moment I'm in the process of super-detailing my Geep fleet (all be it very slowly lol), I'm wondering when it come to the white metal snow plow's & metal lift rings two things.. Do they both need a priming coat first? (I'm presuming the snow plow's do) but also do the DA eye bolts seeing as their so small? And I think their made out of stainless steel, but I'm not sure, so should I be using an etch primer if they need priming prior to the top coat..

Also, what about brass sun shades??

Are all these metal parts best painted off of the loco, or everything fitted first, then painted?

How do you guys normally go about it?

Primer, then paint, then gloss, then decals, then gloss, then weathering, then final coating of dull. That's my normal routine.

What about the DA eye bolts/lift rings wheeler?

Would you prime those first as well & if so, what type of primer?
What I'm worried about is the fact that the eyes are so small, with two layers of paint from the airbrush, it may well fill in the small loop..

Also I'm actually wondering if it would be better for these to be painted by hand or maybe mount these on a small piece of balsa to spray them, then fit them to the model after.. Of course the only problem with the former is if they need to be etch primed...

I've got three books on detailing and not one of them mentions what should be used, it just says that they should be painted the same as the body colour lol...

I mount all part directly on the model and prime/paint them there. The only exception is if I'll have to mask for a different color right where a certain part is, then I'll paint it seperaty. Eye bolts have never been a problem when painting with an airbrush. But brush painting them usually clogs them up.

Back