Yard Lighting??

Scordicus

I'm currently looking for some modern era yard lights, the type that are usually high up on some type of lattice mast..

I like the Viessmann lights, but unfortunately the problem with their 'Lattice Mast Floodlight' is that the lights on top that I guess are supposed to be spot lights of some sort, just look way over scale..

They also do a 'Double Yardlamp Lattice Post' but this only looks like it would light the area immediately at the bottom of the post rather than a specific part of a yard and they also just look too European for my liking, a bit just like a shortened street light..

I was thinking of using their single 'Floodlight' and mounting 4 or maybe 6 on top of my own lattice mast, but this would work out quite expensive, around $70 just for the lights (4) for one mast! :eek:

Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make modern era working US yard lights that look in-scale?? And preferably don't cost a fortune either! lol...

the yards around Chicago have what lools like large flood lights. Simply pointed to the aeras where the switch tracks and truck traffic is at. Try testing some LED yelglow and see if you like that look. It is fairly simple to install a LED into a plasticstruct square tube. add a clear or foggy lense, and run wires thru a metal mast. then add a resistor to the wires under the table. Thats how I made a few for the club and they look pretty good and to scale.

just my .02

I'm looking for the same thing myself. I'm suprised it is so hard to find proper looking yard lights.

I hope I don't have to build my own tower!!

I could just use brass tubing and make it a pole I guess. :)

I was working on a drawing a few months ago that I was going to have a PE light tower made for a intermodal yard. Maybe I need to get it done and have extra's made as thre is a void out there for these lights. It was going to be a tower non-tubular type with a platform on the top and lights hanging from below or like that. If anyone has some photos I would love to see more ideas.
Dave

Here are some pics of the yard tower lights at the CSX yard near my house.

DSC01778.png

DSC01784.png

3-17-2011002.png

Mark,
Those are great photos. You don't have a photo of the base by chance do you? I really like th wooden floor. It makes a great detail.
Dave

Sordicus - might be worth an email to this guy in UK - tell him Shortliner sent you
http://www.phd-design.co.uk/ I think he does lighting towers, but not sure about scale
EDIT - It is actually a mobile phone antenna, but may be adaptable - click on "Products" it is the last one on the page

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working on a drawing a few months ago that I was going to have a PE light tower made for a intermodal yard. Maybe I need to get it done and have extra's made as thre is a void out there for these lights. It was going to be a tower non-tubular type with a platform on the top and lights hanging from below or like that. If anyone has some photos I would love to see more ideas.
Dave
Do you have any pictures of your drawing Dave??

Here are some pics of the yard tower lights at the CSX yard near my house.

DSC01778.png
This was exactly the type of thing I was after! Now the only question is, who makes a working model at a reasonable price?? lol..

Sordicus - might be worth an email to this guy in UK - tell him Shortliner sent you
http://www.phd-design.co.uk/ I think he does lighting towers, but not sure about scale
EDIT - It is actually a mobile phone antenna, but may be adaptable - click on "Products" it is the last one on the page
I will indeed Shortliner, thanks very much for that link, I was actually looking for one of these as well to sit a-top one of my office blocks lol, so you've done me a real favour! Cheers for that!

Cheers to all of you for your replies guys, your all coming up trumps one way or another! and especially for the pics, at least now if I can't find one, I can build a prototypical one! I don't suppose you know roughly what size the one you've taken pics of is MGWSY do you? A guesstimation would do!..

This was exactly the type of thing I was after! Now the only question is, who makes a working model at a reasonable price?? lol..

Working...reasonable price...

Interesting concepts but I've yet to have a hobby that didn't drain my wallet big time. ;)

(Yes, I know there are diehards who have built Decapods with toothpicks and Squadron Putty... :D)

Cheers to all of you for your replies guys, your all coming up trumps one way or another! and especially for the pics, at least now if I can't find one, I can build a prototypical one! I don't suppose you know roughly what size the one you've taken pics of is MGWSY do you? A guesstimation would do!..

I can get some kind of measurment but that Alkem etched model is pretty much exact. All you would need to do is supply LEDs.

http://alkemscalemodels.net/ASMMain/YardLightTower.html

Best guess I can come up with is the tower is 4ft x 4ft and 72ft - 80ft tall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can get some kind of measurment but that Alkem etched model is pretty much exact. All you would need to do is supply LEDs.

http://alkemscalemodels.net/ASMMain/YardLightTower.html

Best guess I can come up with is the tower is 4ft x 4ft and 72ft - 80ft tall.

Yes this is a nice tower however, like you said, also a little pricey and to be perfectly honest with you, I wouldn't stick ordinary LED's on top, I'd probably put something like these Viessmann spot/floodlights which would cost around $70 for just 4 of them..
VN6333.jpg
I already have 2 on a building and they do look the business...

well if you can get the viessmann housings or similar without the LED then it would be cheaper to add your own LEDs. I wonder if anyone makes housings like that or if Viessmann would sell them without LEDs in bulk.

well if you can get the viessmann housings or similar without the LED then it would be cheaper to add your own LEDs. I wonder if anyone makes housings like that or if Viessmann would sell them without LEDs in bulk.

I doubt Viessmann would sell them without the LED's, it's not like I'm after a few hundred of them tbh..

I guess I could make my own out of plasticard really & just add the PCB LED's unless I can source something else that's suitable - I guess I could also find some hollow dummies of some sort and adapt them myself.. Hmm... We'll see...

Back