Search results

1. A

what I do when Im not model railroading

enjoy!! And please..opinions welcome!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjEpK6F9ua0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7HEsFdXCOE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ehVYSaBWcU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTltdnQL2E
  2. A

Anyone else take long breaks in building?

Im new to model railroading, just started last year. I came out of the gate flying wanting to get everything done at once, get the layout built, and run trains. I quickly realized that this is not a hobby that one can rush, and be able to appreciate the results. Anyway, it seems like as soon as...
  3. A

Ideas for lines on Roads

Hello all, I just recently started putting down the roadways on my layout and was wondering what methods are best to put the lines down. (double yellow side lines, stop lines etc.) Thanks!
  4. A

Coniferous Trees: A Different Approach

Saw this tutorial on Youtube and figured I would share my experience. Materials needed: Wooden Toothpicks, Round Bamboo skewers Furnace filter Material Elmer's Craft bond spray adhesive Crazy Glue Acrylic Brown or Burnt Umber Woodland Scenics Coarse Turf Scissors Process...
  5. A

Got some weathering done

Makin the seaboard show its age...as soon as I uploaded the pics I realized, the loco may look aged, but the handrails look brand new...lol, I will have to go back and put some powders on them. and a before pic:
  6. A

Crazy Dead Short problem

I recently purchased a Rivarossi locomotive off of flee bay that didn't work. After fighting with the seller, I decided to keep it and convert it to a dummy. Ive removed the motor, driveshafts and gearing, but when I couple the locomotive with another, they wont run. If I remove the Rivarossi...
  7. A

Coupler help with Riverossi U30C

Hello all, I recently purchased a Rivarossi Seaboard Coast line U30C. Tonight I converted it to Knuckle couplers, but they sit too low. A good eighth of an inch below the couplers of my rolling stock and other locos. Any way to fix this. I really dont want to cut into the body (theres no...
  8. A

First Successful attempt at a deciduous tree

After several failed attempts...I got one right!
  9. A

Show us your mobile home/trailer parks

Anyone have em on your layouts?
  10. A

Lets see your tunnel portals

Hello all, I just finished constructing the mountain terrain on my layout, just looking to see what looks best in the way of tunnel portals. Thanks!!
  11. A

Using patching plaster as a cover for plastercloth

I started on the mountain area of the layout tonight and was wondering, I have some DAP patching plaster in a container that I wont be using for anything else. Has anyone ever used this as an overcoat on plaster cloth. Are there positives, negatives, or should I just stick to hydrocal (which is...
  12. A

My weathering is getting better..at least I think.

Ok, so my first weathering projects turned out terrible (enough to get me flamed by a couple users on here when I posted pics) but lessons learned..thank God for cheap rolling stock. Heres a few of my recent weathering jobs:
  13. A

My first layout (4x8)..what I have so far

There were a couple of you asking for pictures of what I have so far in my welcome thread so here it is. A couple of things to note. The track plan isnt complete yet. There will be a couple of interior sidings added in the next couple of weeks. Also the transformer catastrophy that is going on...
  14. A

First Couple of tries at Graffiti

I had a couple of old tyco box cars laying around and have been dying to try some graffiti. Heres what ive come up with so far. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics. For the life of me I can't figure out what my wife has done with the camera.
  15. A

Picture Request-War/Veteran Memorials

Anyone have one on their layout? I would like do something like this on my layout, but wanted to get some ideas...Thanks!
  16. A

Need some Help with Details West part numbers

Hello all. I am finished building a CSX SD45. My first custom painted blue box loco. I need some help locating the part numbers for the front end detail. If someone (or someone-s) that is knowledgeable with details west parts could inform me of the part numbers for the plow and hoses in the...
  17. A

Best way to install handrails/grabirons

Im currently building my first "from scratch" loco. An SD45 CSX (From what I can find, there was only one on the roster). The kit is an Athearn BB. Just wondering what method you guys use to install the rails and grab irons. For example, should I paint first, then glue, glue then paint or...
  18. A

Where to find detail parts for locomotives

Ive done a search both on here and on Google to no avail. Im currently painting and detailing my first "from scratch" undecorated locomotive. I was just wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I can find detail parts for an SD45. Hoses, etc. Thanks in advance for...
  19. A

Painting Plaster Cloth

Will it work out to paint plaster cloth with flat enamel wall paint. This would be more economical than acrylics considering the size of the area that I have to cover. Does the plaster cloth react badly to the latex?
  20. A

First weathering attempt on elcheapo gon

This is one of the cars that came with the lot that I bought. Having six tyco-elcheapo cars is like a license to learn to weather. I thought that this weathering was a bit too heavy. I made a custom load with playground sand and applied a wash of about 70% water and 30% charcoal gray paint, and...

Back