Best way to install handrails/grabirons

adurbin

Im currently building my first "from scratch" loco. An SD45 CSX (From what I can find, there was only one on the roster). The kit is an Athearn BB. Just wondering what method you guys use to install the rails and grab irons. For example, should I paint first, then glue, glue then paint or what..I preinstalled them just to insure they were all there and the problem I ran into was keeping the upright supports straight, so from what Im seeing they would have to be glued right?

Hi !

The handrail and grab iron was always a mistery for me.

Some prefer to paint them before but you can scratch the paint when you install them with this method.

Other prefer to paint them after but you must paint them with a brush and you cannot paint in some place or it's more difficult.

For sure you must paint to back of the stanchion before to install them. For the two method, try it, you can see yourself the result.

It's sure that if you use paint like accupaint, this kind of paint are impossible to paint with brush, maybe other brand are the same, specially acrylic.

I use floquil or tamia and it's not a problem to paint with brush.

On Athearn blue box it's not necessary to glue the stanchion in general but in some case it better, the problem if you glue them it's if you want to remove the handrail later.

I hope that i help you a little bite

Thanks !

I never glue my handrails unless the engine is old & the holes are worn out. If they are metal, they just push in the plastic. Make sure the wire is straight. I use a fine pair of needle nose pliers. If you are painting the engine & then installing decals & then matte spraying leave the handrails off till the last thing. I paint my handrails after they are installed. To keep the uprights straight I align them 1 by 1 & take a small pr. of needlenose pliers & squeeze the top of the rail towards the back. We have many threads covering this very topic on the previous topics. Just go up to the top of the page & hit search & type in "handrails" & such.

Thanks for the replies. I did a search, but the search engine hates me. Larry, I got the turnouts..thanks very much!!

Handrails

I do the same as Larry. I won't glue the stantions to the loco but wick a touch of CA to the top at the wire joint. let dry well then brush paint. That way they are removable if needed ! Have fun & good luck !
Joe :D

Back