My weathering is getting better..at least I think.

adurbin

Ok, so my first weathering projects turned out terrible (enough to get me flamed by a couple users on here when I posted pics) but lessons learned..thank God for cheap rolling stock. Heres a few of my recent weathering jobs:

DSCN0685.jpg

DSCN0686.jpg

DSCN0688.jpg

DSCN0689.jpg

Looks great. I like the N&W boxcar! Tastefully done. Next buy an airbrush and you'll do even better! It's addicting.

the NW looks great.
the spsf looks even better - real subtle.
the UP looks good too. i agree with the guy above, this can get addictive. i got a relatively inexpensive airbrush and it works wonders for weathering.

Looks OK to me. Mother Nature does not have specifications for the proper application of dirt & grime to railroad rolling stock or locomotives. I once attended a very well presented clinic on weathering, and the fellow had so many photos that there was literally a prototype for everything. Chances are, if someone tells you you've done it wrong, what you should be hearing is "I don't like it" Keep your giant salt shaker handy for the liberal application of grains of salt to take with whatever these types say. The best advice I am willing to give is: work from photographs of the real thing. As for methods: Use them all. No single method does a thorough job. Some sort of blending techniques, such as you are already doing, works best.

Keep up the good work.

The weathering job on the N&W car, now that you've done the trucks, looks 100% better. I hope that all the criticism that you've gotten here you've considered constructive. Your work has been steadily improving and certainly looks a lot better than my first attempts at weathering. I did end up with a lot of useful shells for yard shacks and storage buildings though. :)

Small world, my first trainset came with Chessie 4810 too :D

Mine is snow sporting a white coat of paint with the "doors" open, an exposed engine, badly weathered, crudley lettered for a scrap yard, and switched into a dummy. Although i must admit, i shouldve kept it in Chessie colors. :rolleyes:

Your weathering looks great, but i do agree that a airbrush should be brought into the picture if you plan on doing this more. I personally dont own one, but if i was more involved in model railroading and weathering i might.

Back