Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toot, the stories of rabbits in Australia are legendary (and the inspiration for one of the worst movies ever made). Something similar happened in the Carribean: the colonists imported mongooses (mongeese?) to get rid of the snakes; not only did it not work, the mongoose went after the island birds' eggs.
Yes, apart from the rats/mice that came in with the settlers ships, the rabbits for game, and the horses for the gentry, we got camels brought in by the Afghans who built the inland north/south railroad (where "The Ghan" train gets it's name), pigs etc, etc. The Cane Toads have decimated the natural fauna because of their poisonous glands. The only critters who have learned to eat them, are the crows. They flip them on their backs and peck away at their bellys to avoid those glands on their backs.

Yes, apart from the rats/mice that came in with the settlers ships, the rabbits for game, and the horses for the gentry, we got camels brought in by the Afghans who built the inland north/south railroad (where "The Ghan" train gets it's name), pigs etc, etc. The Cane Toads have decimated the natural fauna because of their poisonous glands. The only critters who have learned to eat them, are the crows. They flip them on their backs and peck away at their bellys to avoid those glands on their backs.

Yeah, but you don't have Kudzu, the plant that can swallow a town. Or Pythons that people have released in the Everglades that eat everything it can catch. Or wild Boars that have become a danger to agriculture across the South. Or Asian Carp that were released in ponds everywhere and eat native fry. Or Zebra Mussels that caught a ride on ships entering the great lakes and are pushing out native species, clogging boat and water intake systems. Or the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, that doesn't do actual damage, but it does stink up a house if they move in.

The moral of the story is that easy movement of people causes the easy movement of critters that don't belong. The problem is global and the solution is unknown or impossible to implement. Only real solution is an ice age, meteor strike, alien invasion, nuke/bio/chem war, or another cull the herd event.

3:30AM, up early to head out to PA for the weekend. I'll stop off and watch trains for a bit at the Enola yard just north of Harrisburg then continue on north to the restaurant in Port Trevorton.

793 miles yesterday ... home in about 5 hours today with one more fuel stop!

We are all ready - dogs too! Saw lots of Uncle Pete's trains yesterday ... a few pics which will show up later today - maybe.

Willie - I have a tip for your garden. My friend in Arkansas (his wife;s idea) uses old carpet strips between rows ... keeps the weeds/grass out and the feet/shoes don't get muddy. You need to build a working lift bridge like the one in Beaumont there for your door opening?

KEN D&J -- You must have caught a bad time on your run -- only have seen ONE piece of tire tread in the road all day yesterday.

Good morning fellers. Looking through layout builds threads in other parts of this forum and man there is some good builds going on. I'm all over here with my sacred sheet layout. Sold myself short. Not by choice. But I think I set myself up as best as can be with what I have available to me. Still fun to run my trains on. I guess I should be happy that I have a working layout and I'm running trains. Running some errands today so maybe get to the layout later tonight. If anything I can to it tomorrow.

Good morning y'all! Happy Saturday! 51° and raining. There has now been measurable rain for eight consecutive days. Maybe, we will get a break tomorrow, and I can cut the lawn either tomorrow or Monday.

Good morning fellers. Looking through layout builds threads in other parts of this forum and man there is some good builds going on. I'm all over here with my sacred sheet layout. Sold myself short. Not by choice. But I think I set myself up as best as can be with what I have available to me. Still fun to run my trains on. I guess I should be happy that I have a working layout and I'm running trains. Running some errands today so maybe get to the layout later tonight. If anything I can to it tomorrow.

Justin: So, you have a sacred sheet layout, eh? I had one for years. Had as much fun with that as I do with what I have now. Since your current space limitations prevent you from doing anything else, you have no other option, for now. It's perfectly fine to follow the "Builds", and steal the ideas, for your future layout, but keep things in perspective. You have talent and much potential with your Mine Run layout. Now move that coal.

Good Morning All. 72° and clear. Only hit 94° yesterday, 2° short of the record. But the pool warmed up to 79° and I made use of it after 45 minutes on the tractor mowing part of the yard. I also know now that all of the window A/C's work well. A little late in posting today, as a nearby neighbor from about two miles away, stopped his truck to chat while I was out on my daily walk. A couple of coyotes passed across the road about 30 yards from us; I wish that they would come help with the remaining racoon. Trap was sprung last night without a captive, probably one of the cats climbing on top.
Forgot to update everyone on the train shed activities when I posted yesterday. Well the last two days have been pretty much identical. I am continuing to scenic the area that I call "small town business district phase II". Finished ballasting all of the main and passing siding that borders one side, added grass, brush, and rock to the ROW and in between the tracks. Painted parking stripes on the existing roadways and measured/marked a parking lot. In between, I am still dusting/inspecting freight cars to ensure trouble-free operation.
I posted a picture Thursday from the layout that had two houses in it, but I failed to identify them. The gray one on the left is "Drinkwater Place" from American Model Builders. The white one on the right is Albion House" from Branchline Trains. The small garage was scratchbuilt from leftover laser-cut sprues and other stuff from the "stuff" box.
Thanks for the comments on the additional museum photos, Garry, Chet, Joe, Curt, Phil, and anyone else that I may have missed.

Garry - Enjoy your trip and have a safe one.
Phil - Belated Happy Anniversary. Stay dry.
Joe/Curt - No that racoon wasn't very happy at all, but it sure put the pedal to the metal when I opened the trap at his new home. I release alongside a creek in a wooded area that leads to many hundreds of acres of wilderness. Part of the property is an ATV park, but they cannot access the wooded area. There are numerous deer there as well.
Sam - Totally agree, but those boars make for some good eating when young and prepared right.
Sherrel - 793 miles in one day is really trucking! Must have been on those stretches of highway in West Texas with the astronomical speed limits. Continue to travel safely and don't rush just to get home.
Justin - I think that most of us started with that sacred 4' x 8' sheet. I did 35 years ago. Nothing wrong with it; yours looks to be operationally interesting. Regarding those structures in a box, when needed, most plastic structures can be disassembled, cleaned up, and reassembled into better structures. I have done that to a number of them that I got at an estate sale.

OK, now a few pictures of the garden RR at the Texas Transportation Museum. There's actually two, a small one shown in the first two pictures and a much larger "work in progress" one that covers over an acre, with room to expand. Unfortunately there were no members there to operate the trains the day we were there. This museum is an all-volunteer museum staffed by the various model and prototype (RR and cars mainly) clubs in the San Antonio area.
05-13-18 036.JPG

05-13-18 038.JPG

05-13-18 053.JPG

05-13-18 037.JPG

05-13-18 039.JPG

05-13-18 040.JPG

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. I'm off to the garden to pick peas.

Willie

Willie - I have a tip for your garden. My friend in Arkansas (his wife;s idea) uses old carpet strips between rows ... keeps the weeds/grass out and the feet/shoes don't get muddy. You need to build a working lift bridge like the one in Beaumont there for your door opening?
Thanks for the tip. I have seen that used before. In my garden, I fill the paths between the rows (and plants where applicable) with hay, which slowly decomposes on the bottom thus "self-composting" for me. I lay scrap 2" x 8" or 2" x 10" boards that I hauled home from work (dunnage and bracing on incoming loads of glass) over the years on top of the hay as well. Besides the above mentioned benefits (your friend's and mine), it also keeps the ground beneath cooler and the moisture doesn't evaporate as quickly. I also don't compact the soil with my feet; weight is spread out. Any remaining hay at the end of the season gets worked into the soil and loosens it up as well.

Willie

Good afternoon. My rocj is drying out. Start off with light drizzle and 43 degrees but the sun is try to come out but we'l probably stay in the 50's.

Just got back from town and grocery shopping. This is the first time I have ventured into town with the wife for her weekly trip. I won't do that again for a while. Where did all these people come from ?????

Willie -
I have been procrastinating when it comes to ballasting the last part of the layout. I got the grade crossing started but have put off the ballasting because I have procrastinated finishing the grade crossings. Those outdoor layouts can really get large. Nice photos. I have seen some videos of garden railroads that are humongus.

Justin - Wille is right about the 4x8 layouts. We were all probably all there at one time. When I got out of the service the little N scale layout I had could slice under a bed. No room in an apartment.

I did get down into the traqin room for a while and istalled a few more LED lights. Working with those fine wires are a real pain. Ran out of choice words so I took a few photos and came back upstairs.

20180519_121938.jpg

20180519_121819.jpg

I'll get some more done tomorrow. Hate those fine wires.

Being that we will be out of town for a while, I have decided to pass on the NASCAR all star race and will go over to the Club in Livingston tonight.
I'll try to tke some photos and post them.

Later

Greetings, shop dwellers! No need for a weather report, since you all know that the entire Eastern Seaboard is soaking wet from rain and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Been way too busy to post recently, so I figured it was about time I should check in. Incredibly swamped at work so no time to post while I'm there, and my latest project requires me to be super-focused so evenings don't offer much time for posting either...at least if I want to avoid becoming sleep-deprived.

I've begun the process of weathering all of my "active" rolling stock, i.e., the stuff I use during op sessions. Nothing really hard-core; just some light overlays of white, gray, grungy black or rusty brown to eliminate the toylike fresh-from-the-box appearance. The only way I can get the desired effect requires the use of an airbrush 90% of the time; powders alone simply don't cut it, especially on the darker-colored cars. Since I lack the space for a permanent airbrushing studio, I have to spend a lot of time setting-up and cleaning-up the hardware [in fact I'm planning to post a separate thread on that topic]. This limits me to finishing one car per evening on workdays, plus maybe 8-12 on weekends. With roughly 200 cars left to paint, I estimate this will probably take ~6 months for me to complete.

From lurking I can see there's been a lot of excellent modeling activity going on, including but not limited to: Willie's structures, Curt's super-detailed freight house, Johnny's firehouse, Chet's installation of WS modular lighting, and Justin's foray into replicating prototype C&O wooden structures. Oh yeah, I see that D&J-Ken finally made it safely into retirement, congrats on that! And a shout-out to Sherrell, Boris and Terry. Sorry if I missed anybody...

Gotta run now, as dinner awaits - followed by some family commitments. Take care everyone!

Evening fellers. So errands got done today. Tomorrow focus on my trains. I just re-read my previous post. I really came off as whining. I really wasn't. I would have liked a bigger layout but I am content on what I have. Small trains don't bother me and we'll I have my counts on the size of training I can run and how my ops will work. I'm running trains and moving coal. What more can I ask for? And at least I'm not running from one point to another. My track work is about as perfect as I could ask for. I'm proud of what I have. It's not boring as there is enough switching to keep me busy. Make up trains. Send out my trains. Switch my load out and what not. So no shortage there. A bigger layout will come in time. A more permanent housing arrangement will see to that. Right now my 4x8 is what I can have and is the best move for me as I rent the place where I'm living. In other news I lost out on my C&O GP38. It's good news for me as my bills today over took my finances a little more than what I initially thought. So it's a win for me.

Good morning. It's (still) raining and 70.
I have met my opponent, and his name is Mickey.
I didn't know that ant baits will attract mice, but I managed to trap the mouse using an ant bait.
Here is a photo of the critter. Yes, he's still alive, and decidedly unhappy.
IMG_3134.JPG

Went to the club today (Sunday), was a really nice sunny day and mild, so probably why I was the only one to turn up. While it was good to have the layout to my self, I do enjoy the interaction with others and their trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back