Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob: That's a fantastic shot of the eagle.

Johnny: Nice job on your firehouse. The engine sets it off nicely, as does the soda machine. Great scene!

Joe - What you have to get through just to get a drivers license sure is a bunch of bull. Can't believe it. No problems up here. The only drawback is that if you don't make an appointment, you may have to wait a while. The last time I renewed, it took less that 5 minutes, and that was for CDL.

Chet: Remember, It's for out safety and protection :p I'm thankful that I have four more years until I have to do this again.

FL requires 4-5 things for a drivers license.

Curt: That's to keep the large number of former New Yorkers and New Jersey people from getting homesick. Speaking of Jersey people living in Florida, ran into this person in the Endodontics office while the wife was getting her Root Canal...This woman told anyone who was in hearing range that she and her husband lived in Florida, and they spend each April cruising the Caribbean, and May in New Jersey, visiting relatives and going to doctors. What? o_O They don't have doctors in Florida? o_O

[QUOTE="Now a few homes from the town of Vernon.[/QUOTE]

Willie: Town of Vernon is looking good, also, liked the old vehicles at the Museum, especially the Fire Truck. Cool stuff!

Woohoo! I finally won on eBay! I won my American Model Builders engine house kit. For under $20 too! That price includes shipping. Now if I can just score the C&O GP38 I've got my eyes on.

Wow model train stuff has this kit priced at $44.99! Here's my score.

Attachments

• AMB-708-2__51010.1504129938.500.750.jpg
    AMB-708-2__51010.1504129938.500.750.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 188
I'm remiss in not having remarked on your earlier Eagle photo Bob, but as an armchair critic (well computer chair actually) I think that while this latest one has better clarity, especially of the feathers in the wing tips, the first wins hands down for spontaneity and artistic content. If both were entered into a contest, the first would win the "peoples choice", if not the main prize, because of the amount of action it captures and portrays.

Well, I may have to try that. The second one won first place in the photography division when I entered it in an art show, so it would be interesting to see if the new one could beat it. What you can't see here is the true detail in that second shot. It's hanging on my wall as a 24" x 36" print, and the detail in the feathers is really good. It's almost all sharp, with just a touch of blur on the wingtips, which implies the motion.

Well, I may have to try that. The second one won first place in the photography division when I entered it in an art show, so it would be interesting to see if the new one could beat it. What you can't see here is the true detail in that second shot. It's hanging on my wall as a 24" x 36" print, and the detail in the feathers is really good. It's almost all sharp, with just a touch of blur on the wingtips, which implies the motion.

Bob: I started in photography back in the early '70s. I used 35mm, 6x7, 4x5, and 645. I used to develop my own b/w and color, both slide and print. I took everything from graduation, wedding, and scenic. Followed the Adams Zone system, and attended many workshops. I can without reservation say both eagle shots are some of the best I have ever seen. I like the first one best, but both are top shelf stuff. Good work sir, good work.

Good morning everyone. 61 and clear, hitting 82 later. Still calling for isolated thunderstorms tomorrow, but we're hoping they will miss us while we're on that Branson Trainride.

Nothing to report from the train room. Got home from work and did some yardwork. Picked some strawberries in our garden and noticed just how much the tomatoes, squash, cucumber, beans, etc., have grown in the past week. with all the rain we've had combined with some sunny days, that garden is really taking off! Won't be long and we'll be having home grown salads. Willie's garden is way ahead of ours, but he always has a Texas head start :D

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning guys. It's still raining here and the forecast has it raining through Sunday. That has really scrubbed my plans for a bike ride up to PA. I'll have to take the truck instead.
I'm still trying to figure out this video editing computer. I can't capture video from the camera into it. I can transfer a computer video file to it that I shoot using my smart phone but not the high def camera that records onto tape. Of course B&H video has no idea how to do it.

Good Morning Gang. A very muggy 69° and mostly cloudy. Going up to 95° later today. A minor thundershower passed through between midnight and 1:30 am. Left .15" in the gauge. I thought that my racoon had left, but noooo! Not as good a picture as Bob posted, but I didn't bother with the tripod for this one.
05-18-18 008.JPG

Very aggressive critter, note that it partially dismantled the handle/guard on the top of the trap. This called for work gloves and long pliers to handle. Successfully relocated it about 10 miles away at an ATV ranch. Bad thing about it is that when I discovered it about 3:30 this morning (quite a racket), there was a fellow racoon taunting the cats on the porch; really no match and the cats disappeared rapidly.
Meanwhile I got the pool up and filter running yesterday without incident. Picked my last head of red lettuce for the spring and noted that several tomato plants were approaching 4' tall. Onions should be ready for harvest in about 10 days. As an experiment yesterday, I made a pint of pickled beets to try a new recipe. We have more beets this year than normal and I need to preserve some; they just don't can or freeze well, but pickling works best.
Thanks for the comments on the additional museum pictures a well as the layout one, Chet, Garry, Sherrel, Curt, Joe, and anyone that I may have missed.

Johnny - Nice work on the firehouse scene. It looks like you have been doing this for years! Have a good and safe trip to Branson.
Chet - That sure is a "purty" view from your porch, I don't believe that I have seen that view before.
Sherrel - Up to 78° in the pool by evening after falling to 74° overnight. Not unusual for this time of year. Nice shot of the bridge and crossing. Definitely can tell the most used route.
Toot - Looks like my rodents are bigger than your rodents!:p
Justin - Great score on the engine house. Mow remember what I posted; Patience, patience patience! This won't go together in one evening unless you totally ignore your family!
Not all of my critters are aggressive, here's a different one taken yesterday.
05-18-18 002.JPG

The shell is about 13". Not as big as the snapper that lives in the ditch out front though.

A couple more museum pictures.
05-13-18 020.JPG

05-13-18 060.JPG

OK, gotta go, Varney is about to start. Everybody have an awesome Friday.

Willie

Howdy ..... Coffee to go, please.

We leave in about an hour for Branson, MO. I'm looking forward to meeting Johnny.... Altogether, there will be four couples. Model train nuts and their wives. 2 from KY, 1 from IL, and 1 from MO. ..... It will be fun...

Willie .... Interesting photos.

Everybody .... Happy Model Railroading !

Good morning. The rock is wet and the temp is 47 degrees. Scattered showers are expected all day long. Won't complain about any moisture.

Bob - The second shot of the eagle is better. Excellent! First prize. Well done. I used to do a lot of photography with film cameras, but digital is so much easier now. I still have a Minolta 35mm with just about every lens made for it, a Hassellblad and a Speed Graphic 4x5. Don't use them much any more. I also used to do a lot of developing also. In the Navy I got to 73 countries in 6 years and used to buy slide film in bulk and load my own cassettes. Had a dark room set up in an unused head above the radar director.

Joe - In Montana you can renew your license for 8 years paying double the normal fee. Worth it to avoid the hassle.

Justin
- Nice engine house. Should be a nice addition to the layout.

Willie - Coon can be really nasty. Don't have many around up here. Wouldn't mind having one of those old cars. Looking good.

Phil - Where are you. He could be treading water or building an ark with all of the rain that they had in the Sunshine State.

Ken D&J - Can't believe that you can't download right from the camera to the video computer. I guess I can assume that you aren't very thrilled with it. Bummer.

Garry - Have a safe trip to Branson.

Getting some things taken care of for the trip to Syracuse for the tournament. Have rented a condo for $45 a night a couple of blocks from the venue. We have our partners from the Friday night league to split the cost. Cooking out own meals will also cut the cost.

Hoping to get over to the club in Livingston and do some running tomorrow night. Missed going last week and won't be ale to make it needless to say when we're gone.

Here's a rail picture for the day.

2019197f8f2a7e33b7fe65b9f32cef23.jpg

Later

Good morning, 60° and wet. More rain is expected. through Sunday.

Willie, that raccoon doesn't look happy, while the turtle hasn't got a care. Those old vehicles are classic.
Garry and Johnny: Have a great time.
Chet, An eight year renewal would be nice...but then they lose an opportunity to hassle you...

Quick trip to the grocery store as soon as this is done, then, the rest of the day is open, choices include working on the layout, or watching it rain...

Good early Friday afternoon fellers. It'll be a few days before my engine house gets to me. Granted if the postal service can actually get it to me. I'm highly intimidated by craftsman kits. So much so my C&O depot kit hasn't been touched at all and ive had it since 2007!! But if I don't try I'll never know how to put one together at all. Willie mentioned patience. I have plenty of that to go around. I've learned the hard way not to rush anything. Too many mistakes are made and I'm left regretting it later. This too includes structures. I have a few that I rushed to build and they have a residence in a box now. Be ok hand me downs if need be but they won't find a home on my layout. Still a good pointer Willie.

GLUB GLUB GLUB !!! Busy treading water- no time to write. When it rains look for rainbows.
Yesterday was a MILESTONE. (NOT a MILLSTONE). Celebrated 37th anniversary. DEB deserves a medal for putting up with me. But ,then again, if I don't behave I'd be toast.
Enjoying all the pictures being posted. Please keep 'em coming.
Prayers for all,
Phil

Afternoon All,

Spent a couple of hours on the road this morning picking up the refurbished pool pump. In the train room I spent about 90 minutes doing trim work on the station. One long side is complete and a end piece around a door and window. I'm leaving the outside edge trim on the 2 ends until the walls are all together (this weekend hopefully).

Another school shooting in Galveston:mad:. When are we going to get serious about mental illness and bullying and actually do something that matters? I know it's much easier to blame guns...sorry I'm off my soapbox now.

Chet- Great scenery but too cold and snowy for too long. Nice rail shot.

Willie- Great pics. The raccoon is lucky you aren't that jack... teacher who was videotaped drowning a raccoon at his school with students helping him!

Garry- Safe travels.

Garry/Johnny- Have fun and you must take pictures.

Justin- Nice engine house. That will be really nice on your layout.

A partial shot of a long wall (too long for a full length detail shot)

20180518_153603.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie, yes, you can have those sorts of rodents. Too many exotic animals were imported here for nostalgic reasons by the early British settlers and then later for supposedly pest infestation control on also imported flora, namely Sugar Cane and it's associated Cane beetle, here in Queensland. The Cane Toad has spread from those fields, right across the "top end" of Australia and is now working it's way down through Western Aussie. Has been seen in the state below us, but prefers the warmer tropical climes.

Toot, the stories of rabbits in Australia are legendary (and the inspiration for one of the worst movies ever made). Something similar happened in the Carribean: the colonists imported mongooses (mongeese?) to get rid of the snakes; not only did it not work, the mongoose went after the island birds' eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back