Recent content by Switch Track

1. S

Model Railroaders Helping Underprivileged Kids

I have one brand new Spectrum and possibly another, and finally an older Spectrum, all steam locomotives, that I am willing to give to underprivileged kids. The older one definitely needs minor repair to make it operational. Is there a model railroad benevolent organization that works with...
  2. S

Displaying Locomotives

Selector & Trucula, Thanks so much for extremely helpful advice. Is there a better way of displaying locomotives than on E-Z Track in a curio cabinet? If you guys were going to display locomotives, how would you do it? My curio cabinet is oak, with sliding glass doors, about 3.5' x 1.25' x...
  3. S

Railroad Lines

UP2CSX, As I delve more deeply into this hobby I find that I give myself fits trying to become prototypical. I think I need to take a step back and follow your lead. If I focus on having fun I'll be more apt to enjoy model railroading. Should I really give myself a stroke trying to get the...
  4. S

Railroad Lines

How many lines do you guys run? I have two: ATSF & Union Pacific. I chose them because I live a stone's throw from Cajon Pass, and BNSF & UP are the two lines using the three sets of tracks there. In fact, I have been seeing lots of UP consists, the most frequent was today, that have rolling...
  5. S

California Dreamin'

el3637, Your three Western Pacific locomotives make a handsome set. Are the two "B" units powered? It would be too tempting should Genesis make another run of these locomotives. Happy railroading, Tom
  6. S

Displaying Locomotives

I just bought a curio cabinet. I placed my locomotives upon E-Z Track inside of it. Will displaying my locomotives upon track cause them any harm? Thanks so much, Tom
  7. S

Competition Steaming Up

Genesis wins!
  8. S

Minimum Radii

Crandell and Jim, Thanks for affirming what I have been thinking. Bigger radii seem to be more functional. HO model railroading has been a most educational process for me. A few months ago I would have never imagined the complexities of this wonderful hobby. Then I was under the naive...
  9. S

Minimum Radii

I have a Blueline ATSF 4-8-4. According to BLI specs, this locomotive will operate on minimum 18" radius. I tried it on such small radius, and while it will run it does not do so efficiently. I just received a new Genesis UP FEF 4-8-4. Athearn's specs indicate a minimum 22" radius for this...
  10. S

Competition Steaming Up

UP2CSX, Yeah, I gotta agree with you. Keeping in mind that to date that I've only been able to compare F-7's, head-to-head I am partial to Genesis. My Blueline UP F-7A & F-7B are of good quality, it seems that Genesis pull better, run more smoothly, and look better. However, Genesis does not...
  11. S

Comparing F-7's

Well, now I have something to which I can directly compare my Genesis F-7 locomotives. I have Blueline's EMD F-7A & F-7B, both of which are powered. I wanted to silence sound from the "B" unit. After I so programmed her using my DC Master, the damned thing up and died on me. Not even a peep...
  12. S

Competition Steaming Up

Thanks a lot. I did have opportunity to put my new Blueline EMD F-7 on the track yesterday. I tried to turn off sounds to the "B" unit, and it stopped working altogether. The "A" unit works perfectly. I'd have to opine that my Genesis F-7 locomotives are superior to the Blueline model. At...
  13. S

Competition Steaming Up

And what do the letters "FEF" mean in this locomotive's title? Thanks, Tom
  14. S

Competition Steaming Up

How does Genesis steam stack up against BLI steam? I have a Blueline Northern that I really enjoy. As of now it is the only steam locomotive of quality that I own. I just bought a Genesis 4-8-4 UP DCC coal fired. I should receive it in about a week. How will the Genesis compare with the Blueline...
  15. S

Engine Roster Thread

Pretty cool thread. But I'm curious: do you professional model railroaders have favorite locomotives that are most frequently on your layouts? As for me, I really enjoy my F-7's, but it's still steam that I most often like to see pulling freight on my tracks. Happy railroading, Tom

Back