Competition Steaming Up

How does Genesis steam stack up against BLI steam? I have a Blueline Northern that I really enjoy. As of now it is the only steam locomotive of quality that I own. I just bought a Genesis 4-8-4 UP DCC coal fired. I should receive it in about a week. How will the Genesis compare with the Blueline considering they're both Northern locomotives?

Thanks,

Tom

FEF is the from the UP employess calling it the four eight four when it was 1st delivered. The name stuck but was called the FEF cuz it was shorter, its still a Northern Class steam engine just like the 3751.

I think you'll find the Athearn engine is about equal to the BLI in detail and probably a little better in pulling power. I wouldn't buy the sound version of the Athearn engine because I think the MRC sound is inferior to the BLI sound system but, otherwise, I think they are pretty close in quality.

Thanks a lot.

I did have opportunity to put my new Blueline EMD F-7 on the track yesterday. I tried to turn off sounds to the "B" unit, and it stopped working altogether. The "A" unit works perfectly.

I'd have to opine that my Genesis F-7 locomotives are superior to the Blueline model. At least I've never had a lick of trouble with my Genesis F-7's! My Blueline F-7B never even made a single revolution before it gave up the ghost.

Take care,

Tom

My experience is that I have had a few more quality control problems with my BLI locomotives than my Genesis locomotives. BLI has been good about making repairs but I did have to send back one E-8 and one GP-7 that both had sound problems. BLI is a very small company compared to Athearn and they haven't been around for very long. I think they are still trying to get their mechanicals and electronics standardized from one manufacturer. From a straight out of the box reliability point of view, I'd have to give the nod to Athearn

UP2CSX,

Yeah, I gotta agree with you. Keeping in mind that to date that I've only been able to compare F-7's, head-to-head I am partial to Genesis. My Blueline UP F-7A & F-7B are of good quality, it seems that Genesis pull better, run more smoothly, and look better. However, Genesis does not offer a UP F-7, so I went with Blueline. If I decide to go DCC, I will get Tsunami decoders for the two Genesis F-7A locomotives I now own and one more for the ATSF passenger I will buy as soon as they're available. I do not think I'll put a Tsunami in the Genesis "B" units.

As far as steam goes, I do like my Blueline ATSF 3751, but I have a hunch that I'll be partial to the Genesis UP F-E-F 4-8-4 I just ordered. In the end I'll have F-7's for ATSF & UP and steam for both road names as well. God forbid, I decide to start another line!

Take care,

Tom

Back