Christmas Trees, Trains and More

Advent 2 2023 JSW.jpg

Second Sunday of Advent...finally was able to upload on the Wednesday following.

This is “the wife’s“ Christmas village, that’s one way to spread trains throughout the house!
She also has three Christmas trees going on different levels of the house.
PXL_20231207_011741663.jpeg

And this is as crazy as I get. ( no snow in December, yikes!)
PXL_20231207_191448707.jpeg

These are among the first photos I have taken with our Samsung S22 Ultra and the new tripod (I still haven’t found the other one). I paired the remote that came with the tripod to the phone last night, but it did not work today. I'll solve that another day. As you can see I have much to learn, but after nearly 2 years I'm glad to be using the phone. It was too expensive to only be a backup for our work phones.

After many delays here are a couple of photos of our Family Room Christmas.

First and foremost, in our home, the Nativity
1702501856919.png

Here is a photo of our Family Room Christmas tree.
1702501294432.png

Not everything is turned on and setup. Yes, that is an ice cream truck. My youngest grandson picked that out years ago on a trip to M.B. Klein. We like ice cream, even in the winter.

More and hopefully better photos to follow, thanks for sharing Christmas with us!

I hope Everyone is enjoying the Holidays!

God Bless Us Everyone!

I noticed a few signs and REA (Reindeer Express Agency) trailer were knocked over.

I should have a sign "Giant Beagle Crossing"
1702536918272.png

Here is my old Beagle Tucker passing through and launching himself onto "his" couch. Not bad for an old dog that was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure in July. He hasn’t broken anything, and I don’t care if he does. I am so grateful to have him with us. Waking up Christmas morning and seeing him follow my every step would be the greatest Christmas gift I could ask for. He is headed for his grey blanket. He lays there when I am at my computer. So that I can reach over the couch to pet him and hold him.

First and foremost, in our home, the Nativity
My new wife asked why I didn't have a "Christian" themed Christmas tree. I said that would be sort of a mixed metaphor as the whole tree thing came from the pagan druids.... But I've been thinking about it and I suppose most folks these days don't know that, nor even that the whole Christ Mass thing had more to do with the early church replacing Jupiter's day with a Christian themed thing.....

What do you think about a Christian (or nativity) based Christmas tree? I do have 3 wise men ornaments to start with.

I noticed a few signs and REA (Reindeer Express Agency) trailer were knocked over.

I should have a sign "Giant Beagle Crossing"
View attachment 178022
Here is my old Beagle Tucker passing through and launching himself onto "his" couch. Not bad for an old dog that was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure in July. He hasn’t broken anything, and I don’t care if he does. I am so grateful to have him with us. Waking up Christmas morning and seeing him follow my every step would be the greatest Christmas gift I could ask for. He is headed for his grey blanket. He lays there when I am at my computer. So that I can reach over the couch to pet him and hold him.
He’s such a good boy, does he have his own stocking. Our always did. :D

What would we do without our animals?

My new wife asked why I didn't have a "Christian" themed Christmas tree. I said that would be sort of a mixed metaphor as the whole tree thing came from the pagan druids.... But I've been thinking about it and I suppose most folks these days don't know that, nor even that the whole Christ Mass thing had more to do with the early church replacing Jupiter's day with a Christian themed thing.....

What do you think about a Christian (or nativity) based Christmas tree? I do have 3 wise men ornaments to start with.
I think it is a great idea! The possibilities are endless and very interesting!

Saint Michael could be perfect on top of that tree. As I understand it Churches built on Pagan sites were often dedicated to Saint Michael (the protector and healer) to claim any sacred power for Christianity. As we have claimed the Christmas tree.

That could be one possibility, but the possibilities are endless. It could also be a simple tree of the Nativity or Christianity in general. The Magi are a great start no matter where you go from there.

For me I like that the Christmas tree is an ancient symbol of everlasting life, long before Christianity. I believe we are all God's children. The Christmas tree and Christmas in general has helped to bring many of us together. All who are brought together this time of year keep Christmas in their own way, nothing wrong with that.
He’s such a good boy, does he have his own stocking. Our always did. :D

What would we do without our animals?
My Beagles, Tucker and our late little girl Sophie could care less about Christmas. Last year my son and his wife gave them each a stuffed penguin dog toy. They played with them for a few minutes and never touched them again. They did like to play with a "Mr. Bill" (from Saturday night live) when they chewed on it, it would say "oh nooo". I gave them a new Mr. Bill every Christmas. Even that they never played with much. When Tucker got excited, he would grab anything and run with it. I miss that, but I'm happy to have my old dog.

Beagles don't play ball or do much with toys. They hunt and enjoy following scents in our back yard. Sophie was too slow to catch anything. Tucker has caught a few birds, but I doubt he will catch another. I hope he doesn't, it is upsetting, but it's in a Beagles nature to hunt. We have rabbits in our neighborhood, but they keep clear of our back yard. As do squirrels and most other animals.

I had a Dalmatian, Mickey and a cat Noel, they both loved Christmas. They both liked to lay together near the tree. I still have Noel's stocking. Mickey never had a stocking, but I did wrap a 36" rawhide chew toy for him every Christmas.

Our late Cocker Spaniel Bessy did not care much about Christmas. She loved the snow and she loved to play ball and run with the kids.

Life is so much better with our pets. I thank God for these wonderful gifts.

From fake grass to figuring out where the train tracks will go. Geometry of the tracks will often dictate where trees can go. Try to place the trees first and one ends up with impossible train track scenarios.
Christmas Forest 2023 tracks 1.jpg
Christmas Forest 2023 tracks 2.jpg

Christmas Forest 2023 track 3.jpg

Had to make some adjustments later. Notice the power plug on the lower right is directly over a track. That never works I should have caught it when I took this picture.

For those curious. The O-gauge loops are O54, O63, and outside O72. The G-gauge loops with trees and water fountain are 4 foot diameter. The final G-gauge under the shelf is mixed. I used 5' easement into 4' on the blobs, with the rest being 5'. So this was how it looked December 11th. Took up the track and started placing the trees.

Last edited:
From fake grass to figuring out where the train tracks will go. Geometry of the tracks will often dictate where trees can go. Try to place the trees first and one ends up with impossible train track scenarios.
View attachment 178245View attachment 178246
View attachment 178247

Had to make some adjustments later. Notice the power plug on the lower right is directly over a track. That never works I should have caught it when I took this picture.

For those curious. The O-gauge loops are O54, O63, and outside O72. The G-gauge loops with trees and water fountain are 4 foot diameter. The final G-gauge under the shelf is mixed. I used 5' easement into 4' on the blobs, with the rest being 5'. So this was how it looked December 11th. Took up the track and started placing the trees.
It looks good! Between plans and setup there are always adjustments.

So, skipping several steps, we go straight to the 2023 Christmas Forest. 27 trees, 19 of them lighted, 17 decorated. We were not quite done when guests started arriving. Had to rush to finish up while the earlier arrivals watched us. lay the last few feet of track and put away the vacuum. Here is the main path leading west into the the forest.
Cookie Lane.jpg

That is the Lionel Polar Express Loco (Berkshire 1223) on the center track, and the Christmas train on the outside. It was supposed to be opposite, but had technical problems so this photo caught it in the process of switching the two to opposite tracks. Train on the inside is an Atlas 4-4-0. All running on straight up AC power. Although I ordered the Polar Express for the 2017 forest, it was not delivered until after the event. Other circumstance kept it out of the show (power problems), so this is its first year. Christmas train is new too. Just purchased it last summer, but the Atlas has seen 3 prior forests.

The bench, across from the main "forest".
20231217_200509.jpg

This is LGB track and a Kalamazoo 4-4-0 Mountain Central loco and train, running on DCC. This was my very first G-gauge train set. That would make it 40 years old, and has run every Christmas. I am guessing it has more than 100 real miles on its little wheels.

The west end. Had a lot more plans for this area, but just ran out of time.
20231216_200012.jpg

This is a Bachmann 4-6-0 Annie, running on straight DC. Painted in North Pole Express colors. It first joined the forest in 2013, but has been in every one since.

A different view. Looking out from inside the forest. I don't think any of these folks are recognizable so this is ok for me to post. It is the two owl & pine cone trees to the right. Denim and Burlap tree to the left, and snowman tree straight ahead across the path. Yes, each tree has a theme.
20231216_190425.jpg

Christmas Forest 2023 page 2.

The forest is really dramatic with the house lights off. Unfortunately we were worried about folks stumbling or tripping on tracks, cracks, and just over their own feet. Plus some of the cool details of the ornaments could not be seen with lights out. The photos make it look much brighter than it was in real life.

A white tree in white lights is behind the snowman tree giving it a backlit glow. The bulbs on the tree itself fade slowly from blue to white.
snoman tree.jpg

Almost same as first picture in prior post but with house lights out. Left to right is "train wreck tree"; Apples, Pine Cones, and Bows (the first tree of the forest so it has been around .... 40 years; way back under the exit sign is the Lionel tree (its first year), snowman tree again, Denim & Burlap again, Barbie tree (I wasn't going to put it up this year and then remembered the movie, could NOT not put it up); the back side of the white Owls & Pine Cone tree, way in the back is the white pencil sweetheart tree, more to the foreground the Lil candy cane tree; the tinsel tree, and finally just a filler tree next to the cookie table.
20231216_195139.jpg

Looking back the other way is the Cup Cake Tree; Apples & bows again; an unlighted filler; the blue one is the Little Critters tree; peppermint tree; and Goldy Locks in Emerald City.
20231216_194911.jpg

Then the Acorn tree (those pesky squirrels just show up), and the bird tree.
acorns and birds.jpg

Bad picture, but the mighty Berkshire with its smoke was the hit of the show. I don't know why, but I've gotten much better smoke out of it before.
20231216_193455.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, amazing, spectacular! I don't have the words to describe it. I love it!

That was a lot of work. Complete with cookies and a Nutcracker to stand guard.

I can't thank you enough for sharing it with us. I'm looking forward to more pictures if possible.

My only question: how did you get Santa's elves to help you?

My only question: how did you get Santa's elves to help you?
Almost didn't. At Thanksgiving it looked like it would be a one man show. I sort of dictated my one son help as he is living in my house "rent free". Then I guilted one of my daughters to come up from Tulsa to help for 2 days. Then my wife was finally able to break away from her work and came up for 4 days. And when I say days, they were from 8 AM when the sun came up until around 2 in the morning, except Friday when I went to bed at 5:30 Sat morning, and my son didn't go to bed at all.

No sooner than I hit the "post reply" button on my previous post there they were!
I fully intend to go back with the "real" camera and get better pictures. Where I stage the trains a bit better, and get good lighting for each tree. These are just snapshot's I took with the camera phone. But I wanted to get something up before Christmas.

Then I noticed the forum software is not allowing more than 4 pictures per post! When did that happen?

Last edited:
Almost didn't. At Thanksgiving it looked like it would be a one man show. I sort of dictated my one son help as he is living in my house "rent free". Then I guilted one of my daughters to come up from Tulsa to help for 2 days. Then my wife was finally able to break away from her work and came up for 4 days. And when I say days, they were from 8 AM when the sun came up until around 2 in the morning, except Friday when I went to bed at 5:30 Sat morning, and my son didn't go to bed at all.
Please thank them for me and the others who are enjoying this Christmas Forest. It is utterly Amazing!

You have inspired me to get my Lionel Christmas Tree finished. We only have three trees, two presently. No themes on the two that are complete. The tree in our living room is my wife's tree. She decides what ornaments meet her standards.
This is an example of my wife's ornaments.
1703102231965.jpeg

The Family room tree is anything goes.
Like this hotdog ornament. I love hotdogs!
1703102268789.jpeg

Work on our Christmas trains has stalled. I felt a sudden sharp pain in my back a few times. It began more than a week ago. That tells me I need to stop, for now. I had hoped my back would have relented by now. It is still "talking" to me.

Although I do have a bad back. I usually don't have much trouble with it. Bending, crawling, lying on the floor and getting up and down are not things I usually do.

Despite the back issue, I am so glad to have started this and I am committed to finishing!

Back