Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening All,

Did stuff around the house today along with researching F22 (Pennsy flat car) trucks for the upcoming project. It appears the style trucks they used (viewed in builders photos) do not exist in the modeling world, so most likely I will end up the 2D-F8 style that the FM flat cars used that is available through Kadee.:( Normally I wouldn't worry much about it but since it will be a display item I would like it as correct as I can make it.

Justin- Nice layout pictures.

Willie- I agree with you about the RH side.

Sherrel- I am sorry to hear about your daughter, but I'm glad she is OK now.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sherrel - Glad all is ok with your daughter.

Willie - The tan Walthers building did that come with the black door seal or was that not with the kit.

Mike - I'll send you a video tomorrow night.The Intermountain and Atlas sound great with the TCS sound in them pulling 55 coal cars.:)

Just checkin in with a train room update...……...………...Nuthin been happening for 3 weeks. I got drafted out of semi-retirement "again" and have been pulling the lowbed for the const. co. I work part time for. Full time for a while. Train related, the mechanic there overheard me talking to another fellow about my train room and he told me he had a couple totes full of HO stuff he's had for 20 years. $100 later I end with 2 big boxes of not too high quality of stuff. Lots of track, 75 various cars, 12 locomotives, aDaylight F7A-B with 5 Daylight cars, 6 SP passenger cars, and misc. Mostly Bachmann & Tyco. I was just getting started building a control panel and do some major wiring, now all I have energy for at the end of the day is to run and test the locos and down a few beers at the same time. I cant say how much I enjoy all the pics of ya'lls layouts and they keep giving me ideas.

Dave in PV

Desmond.jpg

We got the cat, His name is Desmond. He's a curious boy, slightly timid but he is warming up.

Pleased to meet you Desmond. You're a good boy. Karl, looks like he's ready to take over. Best of luck with him. Desmond is a purrfect cat name.

Boris

Good Morning All. 66° with light sprinkles that just kind of showed up out of nowhere. Unfortunately that leads to an uncomfortably humid day later when the temperature reaches the expected high of 82°. Thunderstorms are predicted every day in the upcoming ten day forecast starting Tuesday. I did manage to get the remaining 2.5 acres of yard mowed yesterday, so I am ahead of that game. Waffles and sausage sounds good today Flo.
Had a mishap with the tractor yesterday while mowing, one front wheel just fell off!:mad: Upon closer examination, I found that both wheel bearings were wallowed out and the lock washer on the end of the axle popped off somewhere! I managed to find both of the missing spacer washers in various parts of the yard, but not the lock washer. I had a set of new bearings and a replacement lock washer, but the repairs took an extra hour to do.
Thanks for the comments and likes regarding yesterdays pictures of the layout scenery project; Phil, Garry, Tom, Justin, Curt and Jerome.

Less time than expected in the train shed yesterday, due to the emergency mower repair, and helping my wife unload potting soil and supplies from the car. Funny how she can get them in there, but needs my help getting them out!?!? Assisted in the potting process as well.The only thing that I did on the current project was to add the fertilizer plant. The rest of the time out there was spent running trains.
04-28-19 001.JPG

04-28-19 002.JPG

Yes, another laser-cut wood kit, this one from Blair Line, appropriately enough called "Farmer's Fertilizer Supply". I don't remember whether I ever posted pictures of this build or not. I built this structure back in September 2016.

Sherrel - Best wishes for your daughter and prayers for a speedy recovery.
Karl - Great looking cat and a fine name as well.
Tom - That's quite an engine servicing facility. How do they get engines into the loco shop?

Time to move on. Wife seems to be talking to me, better put the hearing aids in!;) Everybody have a great day.

Good morning fellers. Thanks to everyone who liked my layout pics. The water tower is still standing on the layout as it still has work to do. Actually had to buy some new bits for it yesterday as all of mine broke when I was installing more feeders on the layout. So I've added 4 more 1/16 bits to my lot. Added some literature as well. Full of Appalachian coal operations in this book. Great addition to my book collection.
IMG_20190427_193228120.jpg

I'll add a layout pic or two.
IMG_20190426_094501826.jpg

IMG_20190426_094532303.jpg

I hope everyone has a good day. I'll try to stop by later and post some more prototype photos.

Good morning. 28 degrees and some off and on snow. Got a couple of inches overnight.

Karl - I'll let you know how the flashers work. Waiting for the flashing unit now. With my bum arm it may take a while to get them installed. Nice looking cat. Hope he doesn't like model trains. I have seen photos of cats and train layouts..

Justin - Nice photos. An improvement so far over what you had before. You are gaining experience. Well done.

Willie - you sure don't waste any time getting to work on the layout. Looking good.

Sherrel - Sure hope your daughter is doing better and has a quick recovery.

Tom - The engine facility really looks food. Well done.

The operating session went well at the train show yesterday. The only thing I bought was a Northern Pacific coffee cup to replace the one my daughter broke a while back. Saw a lot of blue box cars, but they were wanting 8 to 10 bucks apiece for them.. There was one Northern Pacific mallet that I really liked, but it was too long for my turntables.

We had quite a lot of people visiting the layout as we had as many as 8 trains running at the same time at one point. One woman, ( I called her large Marge) had to stop at every choke point around the layout making it a bit difficult for a while. Things went smoothly even when one of the guys decided to run his Great Northern Empire Builder in the opposite direction. It got interesting trying to find a place to arrange a pass. Here are some photos of the Milwaukee Road SD - on the layout. Did get a few comments from regular visitors liking to see them appear on the layout.

thumbnail_20190427_094351.jpg

Here it is passing the little switcher that works the saw mill and lumber yard.

20190427_120528.jpg

IMAG1130.jpg

thumbnail_20190427_094547.jpg

Here it is about to pass the Empire Builder ( when it was running on the correct track )

thumbnail_20190427_095004.jpg

The Walthers F units ran extremely well and could pull 38 cars up the grades. That's all the cars I brought with me.

thumbnail_20190427_091353.jpg

Here it is passed the summit on the down grade.

thumbnail_20190427_093016.jpg

Here it picks up a few cars set out on the passing siding which were dropped pff in the main yard. With so many trains running and with so many visitors, switching was difficult.

thumbnail_20190427_105319.jpg

Here it is passing the main yard on the main line. It sure was nice to be able to run a decent size train. The visitors really enjoy seeing long trains.

thumbnail_20190427_111144.jpg

It was an enjoyable day but it kicked my butt. I should have worn my sling as towards the end of the session my shoulder was killing me.

Talledage this afternoon. One of my favorite tracks Saw races there a number of times in person.

Later

My internet has been down for at least an hour - thought I had broken it again?

Already almost ready for my refill of the coffee cup - may be a multi-cup day. FLO - Just leave the pot again, but I will try very hard NOT to stick my head in it this time. For some reason it seems that I have broken the website again? I cannot get the like button to work on the last 1/2 dozen posts - MAYBE I guess that I have used all my quota of likes?

Made it to the soccer game over in Newport on time ... Traffic was not as bad as I was expecting. G-Son's team won 5-3 and G-Son scored one of the 5 points. He was so pleased that his G-Ma / G-Pa got to see him score. It's only 65-70 miles over there and the wife and I should make an effort to go more often, but that freeway drive is like being on a racetrack when it's moving and a giant parking lot when there is a fender bender (and usually several) because everyone wants to be ahead of the car in front of them - even at 10-20 MPH over the speed limit.
WE stopped at the hospital on the way home to see the daughter - she is doing well the nurse said and will maybe go home today - she says that she still has a lot of pain and they have her doped up pretty good. Her husband is a pharmacist so I am sure he will watch the meds - don't want her to get "hooked" - they are giving her some strong stuff.

TOM - Your wife makes a very nice photo ... problem with me is all those engines look the same? I don't know one model from another - my bad.

JUSTIN - Nice pic of your layout! I too, like the water tower - sorry you broke the plumbing that goes with it.

Willie - Always neat photos of your work. Pretty lucky finding most of those tractor parts - maybe some oil on the bearings every now and them?

KARL - I like the cat - can't wait to hear how BUD takes to it. I would hate to see it become a "sailcat".

OK ... see if I can post this?

CHET - Those are very Awesome pics of the club. That sawmill is something - You sure have some talented folks in that bunch. Your SD-9 and F-7's both look very nice!
Thought the "large marge" comment was funny. Most unfortunate that my Spousal Unit fits in that catagory. Damn Meds that the doctors have her drowning in have made her into a baloon - and she tries all the time to diet, exercise at the gym, whatever ... nothing works!

Most unfortunate that my Spousal Unit fits in that catagory. Damn Meds that the doctors have her drowning in have made her into a baloon - and she tries all the time to diet, exercise at the gym, whatever ... nothing works!

But there is advantage to it Sherrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back