Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, 57 and cloudy. However a real spring smell in the air due to a sprinkling of rain we got last night.

Time for another cup of coffee!

Tom, Terry, Boris, Karl, Mark-- good morning! Willie--quite the train room!

I recieved an order from ebay last evening, a pack of these 3 shorty flat cars; and the seller had them wrapped in this 1979 version of a model railroad magazine! what a cool idea, will get as much fun looking at that as putting together the model!

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Also found this cool photo of the NP depot in Hinckley, MN which is planned to be in my new layout; this will be "the " yard for the layout.

Hincley.PNG

The town burned in 1894 so this was taken sometime after that and probably before 1917

more later, Dave

Ready for my second cup, Flo!
Was 84 yesterday - supposed to be only 80 today with a clear sky.
Tried to do too much Tuesday - yesterday was a bust, today may be a semi-bust?

The CRV + Baseplate + assorted Tow Bar and components going to the shop early tomorrow. We'll see how all this "stuff" is going to work?

What did you have last evening, Willie? Hope you told the owner how much we enjoyed being there?

Good morning everyone. 72 and raining.

Willie - Your Oakleaf facility is a nice piece of work. I love the attention you pay to details. Really personalizes the structure.
Dave L&SM - That magazine is a nice extra score with your eBay purchase.

Nothing much from the train room - continued wiring structures for lighting.

Have a nice day everyone.

Howdy ...

Chooch, Curt, Willie, and anyone I missed.... Thanks for the birthday wishes for my wife. Shelley and I celebrated her birthday in downtown Nashville Tuesday evening. We spent the night in a 4 1/2 star hotel, and had champaign and birthday cupcakes in the room compliments of the hotel. .... In the daytime Tuesday and yesterday with visited with Shelley's Mom in the Long Term Care facility.... With other family members, we met with the doctor yesterday. Sadly, the prognosis for her Mom's recovering mental capabilities is very poor. The family had been hoping to have her move into assisted living when she recovers, but now it looks like hospice care will follow instead. Hopefully, not too soon..

It is good to see this coffee shop has been so active with many interesting conversations and photos. Again, I am behind , but I hope to catch up.

Have a good day, everybody.

Afternoon fellers. This has been the longest work week for me in a long while! Just relentless!!! I guess you'll have that from time to time. No pics today. Well at least not at the moment anyways. If I get time I'll dig up some. Some more great posts from y'all. I think maybe I should share a pic of my layout. Nothing has changed on it but hey at least I'm running trains. Well when I can anyways. I'll try to check in later.

Good afternoon. A nice sunny day today. Started off at 32 degrees but has already warmed up into the low 60's. I even got the tractor out and mowed a bit of grass on the south side of the house that was getting a bit tall. I will probably need to mow the entire yard in maybe a week.

Also just got back from physical therapy. The therapist gave the arm a good working over and I am still far ahead of where she expected me to be.

Willie
- You got a bit of work done yesterday. Looking good. That Blue Cross supplement is apparently well worth it. I still can't get over how much it did cover. I was expecting to have to pay a lot more.

Dave
- I really enjoy your vintage photos.

Stopped by the post office on the way home to pick up some LED crossing signals that I got on ebay for $2.99 each. If the work, it will be a good buy. Working with Hobbytronics for the flashing unit. Measures about 14 scale feet tall.

thumbnail_20190425_123611.jpg

I got all of my equipment together for the operation session on Saturday. The wobbling cars were a simple fix by just tightening uo tyhe screws on one of the trucks. Everything runs smoothly now. Hate wobbling cars.

Later

Rain tomorrow and all weekend should be good for the show people can't do much outside.

Willie,A long 60-70 car coal train with 3 pulling and 2 pushing always brings a big crowd around the layout.:)

OK, I've made an executive decision to get rid of all my Kato double-track plates. I've been swapping them out, rearranging them, changing rail connectors and clips, and not even my Athern Big Boy can make it around without snagging on a rail end. And it's always on the double-track plates; there's been no trouble at all on the single-track joints.

Speaking of my Big Boy, it's Hors de combat, already. No idea how it happened, but the pin holding one of the drive bars to a wheel popped out, and it happened in the same place on both sides! See here:
20190425_151425.jpg

I managed to almost get one side back together, but my only tool at the moment is the hooked end of a file on a set of nail clippers (I've got a fairly complete tool set, somewhere) and I'm afraid to press the pin into the wheel with my fingers.
20190425_154512.jpg

Good Afternoon Fellow Model Railroaders...sunny with rain coming later and then on Saturday maybe snow.

Late start since I had my truck detailed and wow did the guy do a nice job. At the dealership he preps all the used vehicles for re-sale. My truck was dirty from all the sand up North. The truck looks new.

Going to the cabin with a "To Do List" for the weekend. I enjoy working on the cabin since it doesn't seem like work and most of the work I do can be done outside. This summer I do have manufacture new doors for the two large sheds. The local lumber guy will cut the cedar Texture T1-11 panels to the correct size to fit the main door panels and then I just stain the panels, cut and fit the 1X4 trim and rehang. The T1-11 weights a ton per panel. Easy hey.

Hope that new L&G battery will work even after just sitting since I purchased it last April 2018.

Mark and Hobbytronics: After following your thread about using the oils for weathering and watching the two video, I ordered the oils except the Burnt Sienna and several sets of paint brushes, thinner and something else which I soon forgot what it was....? I like the idea of using the oils and will try them on an old car first and then a SOO Line caboose.

Chet: Have a great time at the club this weekend. Please come and mow some of my grass. The crossing gate signals look great and the price was right.

Will take a walk in the woods and gather some pine branches to use and dead trees on the layout thanks to Dave's tree making video. I like to model dead trees and I have some Woodland Scenic plastic pine armatures that I painted and use as standing dead trees. I was never happy with the Woodland Scenics trees so I'll find some of correct looking pine branches and make some of my own. With thousands of Red and White pines on the properties and it should be easy to find what I need in short order. I also have lichen growing in abundance and maybe should harvest some this summer and preserve. Its been two rainy summers in a row and everything grew like crazy.

Dave: I liked that old photo of the NP terminal. Different times for sure. If a get a rainy day I'll tour the old SOO terminal in Waupaca. I been following the Utah Belt Line for years that was featured on your gift magazine cover and I'm amazed that the creator of the Utah Belt, Eric Brooman can keep his Utah Belt locomotive roster up to date.

That's all for now.....

Greg

######################

IMG_0243 (2).JPG

Rock out-cropping near the Saxeville Tunnel. These formations are common near my home with the limestone formations being part of the Niagara Escarpment which I pass many times on the way to my cabin. The Escarpment travels from parts of Wisconsin/Illinois to New York and all the way to Niagara Falls. A Woodland Scenics pine amateur is in the upper right in the photograph. -Greg

Last edited:
It's 5:44 AM, 34 degrees and will be sunny and 53 degrees today. The kitchen cabinets are in, need the electrician to finish his work and the plumber to install the sink and faucet and we will pretty much be done.

Rose, cup of Joe and some white toast today, thanks!

Good Morning All. 55° and clear, expecting low 80's for the high again today. Need a hearty breakfast this morning Flo, how about two eggs over easy, a couple of sausage patties and a whole wheat English muffin with some grape juice to wash it down with. Coffee, no thanks. Come on Flo, don't you remember that I don't do coffee?
Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday and spent less than $100! Made up for it over at Home Depot where we (she) finally picked out a faucet set for the new vanity in the restarted bathroom remodel. So far I am still ahead of her regarding the paint, as I have installed all molding and trim the day after she paints it, a few pieces at a time. Note that while she was working, I sneaked a couple of pieces but she spotted them, so I don't bother any more.

Thanks for the likes and comments made yesterday regarding my current project; Johnny, Patrick, Chet, Tom and everyone else. I meant to include a couple of close-up shots yesterday, but just plain forgot so here they are today.
04-25-19 002.JPG

04-25-19 003.JPG

Abbreviated day in the train shed yesterday, had a few household chores after the morning outing. Did a little more ballasting on the main line and nearly completed ballasting on the two spurs on the RH side. Plotted out the locations for the first two structures. The first to be put in place is a beverage distributor that I call "City Wide Beverage Supply". It's a Walther's kit known as Central Beverage Supply. I'll get progress pictures later today.

Dave - That's pretty neat wrapping the purchase in the old RMC.
Sherrel - Yes we spoke to the owner, Leo, and I mentioned that you wanted to come back. What did I have? He regularly fixes me a special request that's not on the menu, "Sausage Parmigiano". Sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, on a bed of Ziti pasta and smothered in Marinara sauce and Mozzarella cheese. A Caesar salad and lots of those delicious rolls completed the meal. Wife had Eggplant Rollatini.
Garry - Sad to hear the news regarding Shelley's mom. Continued prayers.
Chet - I sure did get a lot done Wednesday. Nothing like a rainy day to keep me inside the train shed. It will go a bit slower for a while, as the ongoing rains have turned the yard into a second hayfield.

Today is National Arbor Day. Go plant a tree and allow AOC to continue to travel in jets.
Everybody have a great day and have an awesome weekend if you don't visit on the weekends.

Good morning everyone. 48 and sunny, heading for 70 today. Beautiful day on tap.

Garry - We'll keep praying for Shelly's mother.
Willie - Like the photos of your layout. I drool about the space you have. Maybe someday . . .

Nothing to report from the train room. Just didn't have time to do anything last night. I did take some clearer photos of the little mom-n-pop store on my layout - at least I think they're clearer. Here they are, one from the side and one of the back of the store.

NillStoreApril2019_1C.jpgNillStoreApril2019_1D.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning, Y'all. 54° and raining.

Willie: The main line curves you pictured in your close-up, really look good Nice track work.

Speaking of Arbor Day, in the swale on the East side of my house is an evergreen tree standing about thirty foot tall. Each year fourth grade students bring home saplings for planting on Arbor Day. This "monster" tree was the sapling my youngest son brought home roughly 26 years ago.

Garry: Sorry to learn of your MIL's prognosis.

Good morning, 55 and sunny, birds a singing!

Greg--nice modelling job on the rock outcroppings

Mark-- up and at em!
Willie--nice sweeping curves on the layout
Johnny-- like the modelling job on Nils Store
Boris-- interesting Arbor Day story---

Reminds me of when our old pet dog died, she was 18 years old and we got her shortly after I was born and so when I was 18 she died. I was the only one at home and came home and there she was laying in the garage. What a flood of tears, I got my best friend to help me bury her and I planted a tree over her grave the year after that. Now the tree is very large and looking at it reminds me of her.

Well, here is the stuff I am working on right now, just finishing up the stock car and getting these three shorty flats going to.

IMG_0470.jpg

Found this 1948 photo of the Wyoming Depot as well, check out the jackstand (hand pump) just to this side of the canopy, for the convenience of travelers!

Wyoming1948.PNG

more later, Dave

Morning all 56 and sunny while I type this. Supposed to be less windy today (gusts yesterday hit 43 mph) and a high of 74.

I'll take a couple of old fashioned doughnuts and a BIG diet coke.

Came in late as I have to take care of some server issues with a vendor and that has to be done after hours, but during their normal business hours to keep the costs down.

Did a little train work yesterday, but I'll put the photos in my layout thread.

I do enkoy all the pictures you guys post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back