Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Busy Monday here.

No work on the trains over the weekend. Got home late (for me) on Friday and had time to mow and trim the yard. Got the weeds sprayed on Saturday along with spraying the apple and peach trees. Went= to town and ran errands with the wife. Had a migraine late evening which took me out all day yesterday. The grand kids came over and grandma paid the to take the landscape blocks out of the truck and stack them behind the shed where their going to be used. At 6 and 9 they did a pretty good job. I still need to get some more material that we didn't get Saturday and do that project. We're putting a flower bed in beside the shed so it looks prettier...according to the wife. I also have a few more garden plants to get in before the storms take them out..

Cloudy and 60 this morning after severe storms overnight (which was only a little wind and rain at the house). Supposed to be rainy and stormy for the next couple of days.

Last edited:
I get into hobby shops on occasion and I have never seen this magazine offered! So, it's existence was unknown to me. Thanks Willie for the comeback!
Sorry Mark, I should have been more specific, the complimentary copies were only available in train stores that advertised in the magazine.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then planted the whistle post signs that I forgot to replace after the coal trestle project. Hopefully Thursday I'll be going up to see Jon and Phil and hopefully he (Jon) will help me with my 2 locos I'm having issues with.

Sherrel- Interesting looking loco.

Garry- Great 1:1 photos.

TruckDad- Nice looking passenger train.

Tom- Great looking modules.

Chet- You should also check out Logic Rail Technologies for the flashers.

Johnny- Congrats to your son. My daughter had it in February.

Willie- Isn't Pizzaland from the Saprano's?

Dave- I like the gravel operation in the background.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie- Isn't Pizzaland from the Saprano's?
Good catch Curt! I never saw the show, but my wife told me it was in the opening credits after she saw my model.
1556564516545.png

Actual photo courtesy Bing Maps.

Morning all,

Busy Monday here.

No work on the trains over the weekend. Got home late (for me) on Friday and had time to mow and trim the yard. Got the weeds sprayed on Saturday along with spraying the apple and peach trees. Went= to town and ran errands with the wife. Had a migraine late evening which took me out all day yesterday. The grand kids came over and grandma paid the to take the landscape blocks out of the truck and stack them behind the shed where their going to be used. At 6 and 9 they did a pretty good job. I still need to get some more material that we didn't get Saturday and do that project. We're putting a flower bed in beside the shed so it looks prettier...according to the wife. I also have a few more garden plants to get in before the storms take them out..

Cloudy and 60 this morning after severe storms overnight (which was only a little wind and rain at the house). Supposed to be rainy and stormy for the next couple of days.

Sorry to hear about the migraine. Fortunately you have help in the Grandkids!

I get a "strange" type of migraine that only affects my vision, creates a blurry area; it shows up the same place whether I am looking out of any one or both eyes. Luckily, it has never lasted more than an hour. However, I have to stop whatever I am doing and sit or rest very still while it affects me.

Dave

Good Afternoon Everyone....overcast and cold here in Wisconsin. Just came home from the cabin and it was 24 degrees on Friday night into Saturday morning. No heat in the pump house, but lucky nothing froze.

Looking forward to some model railroading tomorrow. Found another stretch of tracks to install more utility poles and will string some EZ Line when the poles get glued into place. Going to decal my little Bachmann 70T this week with CM&N on its sides and the #3 on the cab. Going to use Roman Black decals for the lettering.

Not much to report on the model railroading front.

Later....

Greg

##################

IMG_0244 (1).JPG

Another view of the rock out outcropping near the Saxeville tunnel. Thanks for the comments of the photo I posted last week of the rock outcropping. -Greg

Checking in..... hardly... .... Bad case of the flu..... Slept most of yesterday and most of today.

See you tomorrow.

Thought I'd better check up on the progress of my SD35. Tracking has 2 entries that say it's at Brisbane Airport yesterday and today (30th). Then I noticed a FedEx number, so clicked on that. Not before the 8th, at my place, 1 hour's drive away, according to them.

Thought I'd better check up on the progress of my SD35. Tracking has 2 entries that say it's at Brisbane Airport yesterday and today (30th). Then I noticed a FedEx number, so clicked on that. Not before the 8th, at my place, 1 hour's drive away, according to them.
The joys of international shipping...

Good morning, 39 and cloudy. Looks like rain for later on today.

Garry-- hope your flue doesn't persist!

Terry, Boris-- pass the coffee!

I received some ebay packages yesterday, one was rattling pretty bad. The seller did not tape the inside box closed and a few screws, etc, were outside the box. Didn't have time to check the contents but sometimes I wonder about the thought process of people.

Was really dragging yesterday morning, but feel better today.

Here is todays layout shot, the coal bin. This scratch built structure is made from regular typing paper and the iron framework is brushes broken off the street sweeper, picked them up off the ground along city streets.

_MG_5599.jpg

You may recognize the semi tractor trailer in the background,a woodland scenics -product which I have had on every layout.

morelater, Dave

Morning all,

Hopefully a better day today. In a first, a second migraine on the way home last night...the normal symptoms and I woke at 4:00 a this morning feeling a little better, but I don't dare move the head too quickly. So no train stuff last night (or anything else.

Expecting more rain today, there were thunderstorms in the area early this morning, but none severe. Under a flood watch until mid-evening, then a storm watch expected for the same time.

GARRY: Get better soon.

Good morning everyone. 65 and cloudy here in SW MO. Several days of severe weather on tap.

Garry - Prayers - get well soon.

Nothing to report from the train room. Ran trains for just a few minutes last night. Got to stop all this jury-rigging for lighting. Need to pick up a few things at the LHS.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy, 71° and 88% humidity. Even with the light breeze, it's going to be a miserable day. I am already sticking to the chair, the desk, the keyboard, everything that I touch. Time for the A/C. Weather geeks are still predicting thunderstorms every day for the next ten days, although there's nothing in our vicinity or headed this way. However in this part of Texas at this time of year, severe weather including tornados can pop up without warning; especially given the current conditions.
Aches this morning after loading, hauling and spreading several cart loads of wood chips on the garden yesterday. There's evidence that some animal(s) were using the "big" pile to nest on top of, there was a comfortable looking depression on top. It's over in one out of the way corner of the yard, and is several truckloads of wood chips courtesy of the contractor that trims trees away from the local power lines. The wood chips provide organic mulch and loosen my clay soil. I also spent about an hour re-mowing parts of the yard that I just did five days ago. I have spotted some snakes on the move from their winter dormancy residences, out in search of a meal, another sure sign that Spring is here. They'll have to survive on baby crickets, frogs and fledgling birds for now, since my cats have consumed all of the nearby rodents and the young rabbits are still about two weeks from being born.

Thanks for the likes for yesterday's posting, Jim, Sherrel, Patrick, Justin, Jerome, Phil and Tom. And thanks to all who commented as well, Dave and Curt, who by the way, scored the prize for identifying the origin of the Pizzaland model. The prize? His next cup of coffee is on me.

I didn't spend much time in the train shed yesterday due to other projects. I was able to do some more ground foam and plan additional streets. Progress picture.
04-30-19 008.JPG

Next step, a little dry wall joint compound and some manhole covers for those screws.
04-30-19 009.JPG

All of this construction hasn't held up rail traffic. Here's a pair of Kato Dash9-44CW's leading an intermodal freight on the main, while a mixed freight waits it out on the siding.
04-30-19 001.JPG

Sherrel - Good news regarding your daughter. Continued best wishes for a rapid recovery. You gotta post pictures of the turtle house, no not the one it was born with!;)
Patrick - Sorry to read about the migraine. Any possible connection to the weed spray? Or the fruit tree spray?
Garry - Best wishes for a rapid recovery for you also. Terrible time of year to get the flu. Well, any time is a terrible time.
Tom - Walther's likes those "all-weather" freight dock doors, they included them in their kit "Magic Pan Bakery" as well.
04-30-19 011.JPG

Made my reservation for my upcoming 50 year high school reunion, coming up on May 18. 50 years! Seems like last month. We had about an 80% turnout for #45 in 2014. It will be fun, It's a Catholic high school so an open bar is standard! The buffet at the last one was fantastic also. It was a fun time back then, eleven girls in my class lived within three blocks of me in suburban Dallas; every one was on my afternoon paper route. I hung with them while all of the jocks were back at school practicing! I was still known as Billy back then.

Everybody have a great day.

Howdy ..... Looks like I'm beginning to come back to life today.... Thanks for the well wishes.... Glad I did not get this next week. We are going to Utah to celebrate the Golden Spike.

Willie ... Your layout pictures continue to be impressive.

Dave... The loading structure is remarkable. You were very resourceful with your selection of materials.

Greg .... The rock outcroppings look great.

Last edited:
ARRRG! Moving furniture for carpeting the family room this morning ... carpet layers will be here in 2 hours!
It misted wetness most all day yesterday - but total was barely 1/4 inch - never mind - we will accept it.
Still cloudy this morning - what gives? - It's too early for the annual "June Gloom"!

Still sorting and moving stuff in the garage - little done yesterday as was coold and windy!

Coffee break!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back