Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening fellers. I know I've been out of the loop for awhile. I'm glad everyone enjoyed my pictures I shared. I'll try to keep them coming. This past Sunday is a day that is going to haunt me forever. I had to bear witness to my daughter riding on her runaway bike. A new bike I might add. It ended in her striking a tree. I of course gave chase but my legs can only move so fast. I fell while trying to catch her. To which I knocked the wind out of myself and got banged up pretty good. My daughter was knocked unconscious when shit hit the tree. It should be noted she was wearing her helmet. The helmet most likely saved her life. She truck the tree with such force that it turned her front wheel on her bike sideways. The bike other than that survived undamaged. My daughter was not so lucky. She spent two days in the ICU having scans done. CT scan picked up something on the front of her head. Doctors thought she had either a frontal brain bleed or bruise. An MRI scan proved it is only a deep tissue bruise on her forehead. Most likely her initial point of impact. She also has a small laceration on her liver which causes quite a discomfort for her. The right side of her face is pretty mangled from the accident. She is recovering nicely and the swelling on her face is starting to go down. She was on a liquid diet until today. Poor childs birthday is today as well. My daughter turned 7 today and had to celebrate it from a hospital bed. I know this is a long winded post. I just thought I would share with y'all. We haven't gotten word yet as to when my daughter will be released from the hospital. Hopefully tomorrow. Oh and one last note. The doctor said she has nerve damage on her right side of her face. That she wouldn't be able to smile on that side or have any function on that side for some time. She actually smiled today and the right side functions just like it should. She should make a full recovery and is progressing very well. Now to just bring her home.

Justin, my thoughts and prayers are with you, and your family.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 56°. Another norther blows in Saturday night to cool things off for a few days, but mid-70's for a high for most of the next ten days. Looks like I'll have to rekindle the fire in the heater at night for two or three days though. And I just got used to not carrying in firewood twice a day! Looks like I'm back into the grind of mowing somewhere in the yard after the dew evaporates each day. Grandsons and their mother came by yesterday evening to pick up the granddog that has been visiting for the last three weeks. Even though she's a dumb dog, we will miss her.

Thanks for the comments and likes, Chet, Greg, Phil, Jim, Tom, Curt, Garry and anyone that I may have missed.
Here's a picture of the same train looking from the other direction.
03-27-19 004.JPG

Continued to make progress out in the train shed. Ballasted all of the remaining trackwork and started some ground cover between the siding and the industrial spur. Not much else except running some trains since I hadn't done that in a few days.

Mark -
Thanks for all you do and put up with, with these Grouchy, Old, Model Railroaders riding this train, where are we going, anyway?
Train to nowhere?

Joe -
On another note, the fire truck is a 2017 Pierce that pumps 2000 gpm, and has a water capacity of 750 gallons. When I was with that department, back in the 70s, the average engine pumped 750 gpm, and carried 275 gallons of water.
Seems like they would run out of water rather quickly. Can fireplugs supply that kind of volume? I don't remember any safety instructor relating that type of information in all of my safety training.
Garry - Thanks for another great picture.

Gotta go as I have to make the grocery/beer run early today. Wife is going to work after lunch on her day off to catch up on some lucrative tax returns, both for her and the IRS. I don't like baseball. Today is Lady Gaga's birthday, I don't like her either. It is also National Weed Appreciation Day. Take that as you wish.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 53 and cloudy here.

Justin - I join others in sending you best wishes and prayers for your daughter's full recovery.
Dave L&SM - Nice video of the log loading. gives me some perspective and ideas.
Chet - Hope you're feeling more mobile these days.
Willy - Nice photo. I like the detail in the barbed wire fence.

Here's a photo from my layout. That's a heavy Mikado parked at the passenger station while an F3A pulls a consist through the town of Pine Valley.
Townview1_3_25_19.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning, everybody .

Justin ... I'm sad to hear the news of your daughter's accident. Praying for her. Thank you for letting us know what happened.

Willie ... I like your photo of the Santa Fe war bonnet locomotives. ..... Thank you for commenting on my picture.

Johnny .... Nice photo of the New York Central locomotive. ... Answering your question, look at the top of this page. Click on ANPL Coffee Shop .

Boris .... Thanks for commenting on my photo.

Everybody have a good Thursday.

Can fireplugs supply that kind of volume? I don't remember any safety instructor relating that type of information in all of my safety training.

Willie: Depends on the water system. Where I worked, the mains ranged from 36" pipe to 4" pipe, so the volume from the hydrant depended on the neighborhood. Some of the mains dated back to the 1860s. Static pressure was generally good, because we were down hill from the reservoirs. We rarely drew a vacuum from the hydrant.

In urban areas with hydrants, the water carried on the engine, is for A. Initial suppression, until the supply from the plug is established, or for small fires that can be handled with the "Booster" line. In rural areas the fires suppression is dependent on the water capacity of the trucks, until an alternate source, like a pool or pond, is established.

Where I live now the mains are all 12", reduced to 6" in the subdivisions. Static Pressure is bad because they don't keep the standpipes filled with water.

In Philadelphia, the central business district, and industrial districts had two different hydrant systems. One drew water from the normal water feed, while the second, was strictly high pressure untreated river water supplied with demand sensing pumps. Of course, few locations had the foresight and capital to construct redundant hydrant systems.

In parting, I like the head end of your Stack train.

Boris

Morning everyone!
Justin: Wish all the best and a speedy recovery for your daughter!
Beady: Really like your KMA sign!
Willie: Really like your grain elevator and other photos.
Dave in PV: The bench work looks good to me! Keep us photo-posted on it's progress.
Louis: Welcome back!
Johnny: Great looking logging operation!
Chet: I like your logging operation, also! Hope you can drive soon.
Curt: Great coal trestle!
Dave LASM: That's a nice looking water tower. Like Willie said, it reminded me of the Petticoat Junction sisters!
Greg: I had a few banged-up gondolas on my old layout. Now I want a few for this one. Nice gons!

Everyone have a nice day!

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone......sunny here in Wisconsin and the temps will be in the upper 50's.

Going back down and string more utility wires. Short sleeves for this project is a must. After I finish with the poles, I want to check why that locomotive stopped dead going into Pine River Yard.

Curt:
I was wrong with using white glues for the rail, I thought you were doing the ties....sorry. GOO can be messy, but I used PlioBond when I did a trestle and once the rails were in place I heated the rails and the glue become even stronger.

Justin: Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.

Boris:
At the regional Shopping center and office complex where I worked if I recall correctly the yard hydrants were connected to the complex's fire system and a fire pump provided the water from a 10 inch domestic main down to the 8 inch laterals that fed the yard hydrants. The fire pump was rated at 2,000 gpm and the total flow from each hydrants was 500 gpm.

Jim: Thanks for the comment on the gondola.

Later.....

Greg

Beautiful morning here in the West - supposed to be 71 later on!

Justin - So very sad and sorry to hear of your daughters accident. Prayers for her recovery back to normal.

Garry - Nice photo.

Curt - The coal trestle looks nice - good jpb!

Beady - After reading your post - No wonder that you have some health problems ... Kids cause us all to age too quickly - then they have kids which finish us off!

Willie - Great tracklevel shot!
I laughed outloud at your last paragraph, but shame on you for not liking baseball - after all it is supposed to be America's pastime? I'm not sure who I will cheer for this year? Maybe the Angels - they are the closest, but it's a tossup with the Cubs.

Evening fellers. I know I've been out of the loop for awhile. I'm glad everyone enjoyed my pictures I shared. I'll try to keep them coming. This past Sunday is a day that is going to haunt me forever. I had to bear witness to my daughter riding on her runaway bike. A new bike I might add. It ended in her striking a tree. I of course gave chase but my legs can only move so fast. I fell while trying to catch her. To which I knocked the wind out of myself and got banged up pretty good. My daughter was knocked unconscious when shit hit the tree. It should be noted she was wearing her helmet. The helmet most likely saved her life. She truck the tree with such force that it turned her front wheel on her bike sideways. The bike other than that survived undamaged. My daughter was not so lucky. She spent two days in the ICU having scans done. CT scan picked up something on the front of her head. Doctors thought she had either a frontal brain bleed or bruise. An MRI scan proved it is only a deep tissue bruise on her forehead. Most likely her initial point of impact. She also has a small laceration on her liver which causes quite a discomfort for her. The right side of her face is pretty mangled from the accident. She is recovering nicely and the swelling on her face is starting to go down. She was on a liquid diet until today. Poor childs birthday is today as well. My daughter turned 7 today and had to celebrate it from a hospital bed. I know this is a long winded post. I just thought I would share with y'all. We haven't gotten word yet as to when my daughter will be released from the hospital. Hopefully tomorrow. Oh and one last note. The doctor said she has nerve damage on her right side of her face. That she wouldn't be able to smile on that side or have any function on that side for some time. She actually smiled today and the right side functions just like it should. She should make a full recovery and is progressing very well. Now to just bring her home.
Justin It is so sad when any child gets hurt weather we know them or not. Hope she recovers completely and gets back on the mean old bike. I have a son and daughter, 43/41 and 4 grandkids, and you NEVER quit worrying about them.
Dave in PV

Good afternoon, of for lunch and just enough time to catch up on posts.

Got up to 66 yesterday, really lovely after a rough winter!

Garry-- Really nice scene you shared! I have the same speeder
-- Sorry to hear about the passing of your brother in law.

THANKS all for the video comments

Justin-- Quite a harrowing experience with the bicycle. Praying that you both fully recover...

Willie-- I like the scene with the cows (and trains)

Johnny, beautiful shot of your layout with a very active background

Here is my layout shot of the day, "break time"

contest4.13 004.JPG

Everyone, have a good day... Dave

A late good morning/ 34 degrees with a chance of snow this afternoon and evening.

Justin - Very sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope everything turns out alright and that she makes a quick recovery.

Garry - So sorry to hear about your loss. Excellent photo by the way.

Here comes a RANT buckle your seat belts. I would recommend not buying any LG appliances. When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago, we purchased LG appliances. They were some of the better appliances that they offered. In less than a week, the ice maker on the new refrigerator crapped out, LG did replace it under Warranty. About 14 months later the dishwasher crapped out. Not under warranty, we had a service man come out to try to repair it. After three service calls and LG throwing parts at it I ended up sending it to the dump after spending over $300 for service. Recent the gas range, yes, LG is having a problem. When setting a bake temp, more often than not, it will start to heat up and then throw a code and cease heating. After clearing the cycle, a restart will get the oven going. Here comes the service man again. I did send LG an email telling them what I thought about the quality of their appliances. I received an email back and got on LG's chat. After a half an hour, they said that they would consider a courtesy repair if I could produce a receipt for the range. Then the games began. I purchased the appliances at Home Depot and it took almost 2 hours to get some one on the phone with a pulse. I did finally contact someone who did email a copy which was forwarded to LG. I am not holding my breath for them to take care of the repair. Rant over.

Dave
- like the old time logging video. Also another excellent photo..

Greg
- Nice job on the weathering in the gondolas. I would love to string some power lines but know for sure that I would probably ruin them sticking my hand into the layout.

Johnny
- You've been holding out on us. Love the photo. you have to post more.

Willie - Excellent photo. Now I guess I'll have to start posting layout photos also.

Here's my favorite new little switcher bringing a few cars to the Logan yard. The shortie flat car with sides is one of my track cleaning cars with a dust monkey.

thumbnail_20190328_112908.jpg

Tome for lunch, ................ Later

Back Everyone......sunny and warmer than expected with the temp now 60 degrees.

Finished the second phase of the EZ Line utility pole wiring. I used three and two cross arm poles and I would suggest the three arm poles for anyone stringing the EZ line to keep the lines separate specifically where they converge from other poles. I'm not a purist so I didn't worry about which line is a neutral or which lines are hot, but black is for the telephone service.

I'm using Instant AC to attach the line to the poles and it appears to dry as a mat finish.

Chet: The EZ Line will stretch to 700% of its length and if the Line is secure to the poles, the poles will likely bend before you break the line. But, it is sort of a hassle to work around the lines to fix a derailment or work on the tracks. The lines sure make a statement. Chet: Nice photo of your 70 tonner pulling a short freight.

Work on that dead section of track...? Looks like a bad rail jointer, but I have so many feeders that this is a puzzle. I did get it working but for how long. More testing later or tomorrow. I also checked the feeder connections and all look good. If it is a jointer, I'll clean of the paint and apply a soldering iron to the rail jointer to meld the solder and maybe that will take care of the problem.

Another issue arose with my BNSF GP38-2 derailing on a curve where it never did prior with many trips around that curve. I did some landscaping in that area yesterday so maybe something is in the inside of rail that is causing the problem. I remember laying that section and the flex track didn't behave.

You guys with large layout...is maintenance and other problems an issue?

Later.....

Greg

Last edited:
Beady - After reading your post - No wonder that you have some health problems ... Kids cause us all to age too quickly - then they have kids which finish us off!

Willie - Great tracklevel shot!
I laughed outloud at your last paragraph, but shame on you for not liking baseball - after all it is supposed to be America's pastime? I'm not sure who I will cheer for this year? Maybe the Angels - they are the closest, but it's a tossup with the Cubs.
I prefer sports that showcase individual achievement and growth, like most of the Olympics and Madagascar Headsplitting.

BTW, I forgot the bit where the younger son rolled a dune buggy and reached up to steady himself by holding onto the rollbar; then there's when older son was manning the topside machine gun in a humvee and it rolled; and then there's the the time when...

The author Ernest K Gahn called it "giving hostages to fortune."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back