Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 31 degrees with a very light dusting of snow overnight.

Justin
- Very glad to hear that your daughter is back home. Hope she gets back to normal soon.

Curt
- Many of the appliances are now made in China. The Maytag dishwasher we got to replace the LG was made in the USA. We did a lot of looking and caught the Maytag on sale plus it was the only one in the store that had stainless steel spray arms. All of the rest were plastic. Garry, our serviceman also commented on how manufacturers pretty well know how many cycles their appliances are good for. I was talking with my wife last night and our Kenmore (basically Whirlpool) washer and dryer are over 30 years old. Made in the USA. I replaced the heating element in the dryer twice. No other problems. We had talked about replacing them, but so long as they're working that ain't gonna happen. We have a 15 cubic foot chest freezer in the basement we bought used 40 years ago. Still working just fine. Made in the USA.

Johnny - Another nice photo. The fire truck does look familiar.

Willie
- More nice photos. You sure like the FP45's. Texas Motor Speedway is one of the few tracks that I haven't been to and I hope to get there some day. California is another, but I refuse to go into California have have the money I have to pay in taxes go to some of the off the wall projects they have. I also don't care much for baseball any more. I really enjoyed playing years back, but have lost interest over the years.

I did spend a lot of time in the train room yesterday running trains and switching. Being grounded, it help keep my mind off the shoulder, that is until I try to reach for something with my right hand. Here's a photo of McNab Livestock with a couple of hands getting ready to load cattle.

thumbnail_20190328_112338.jpg

Guess I'll post layout photos instead of rail photos for a while. Heading down to the train room shortly.

Later

When we sold my late mother in laws home there was a huge chest freezer in the basement that came with the house when she first purchased it in 1972. The freezer was used up the last several years before we sold the home and we had no way of removing from the basement. My guess is that it was dated to the early 50's.

The new owner wanted the freezer as part of the deal and never asked if it ran. Maybe they turned it on during a walk thought. But we're glad that it became their property and we didn't have to disposal of the monster. We heard he was a hunter and wanted the freezer for keeping his deer meat.

Greg

Last edited:
Happy Lunch Time....taking a break from the train room

Spend the morning working on the layout doing some housekeeping tasks and running trains. This afternoon going to cut out another section of Horizon backgrounds and apply them to foam core. I have an empty skyline spot for this section of buildings.

Some people have said that their foam core warped over time, but has been cut and in the layout room for maybe two years and no warpage of any kind.

Willie:
I liked your comment abut "Floor Models" and wearing sleeves. I have ground foam clusters all over the layout room floor from them being picked up by my sleeves. Numerous trees are out of level due to being hit. The room is a nice 67 degrees.

That's all for now.

Greg

Good afternoon,

Got up to 50 yesterday with lots of sun! Got some decal work done on my steam engine project, actually had to start over and put on one piece at a time. To bad they didn't make a whole decal that included everything (small NP, larger 653, small B; in one piece).

Here is my layout photo for today, it features this old Woodland Scenics truck kit which I have always liked

Chet, nice shot of your stock yard; looks like lots of Angus

Willie, like your Sante Fe

contest4.14 007.JPG

in the background is the boarding house and a little lunch (what I am doing now)

Sorry, no baseball in my diet! Haven't even been to the "new" Twins stadium.

Take it easy, Dave

Afternoon All,

Ran down to the LHS this morning and surprise, surprise they had what I needed! After lunch I ripped out the old coal trestle and approach. After some finagling I finally found the correct height that will work for the new one. I didn't glue the risers in place because I want to double check it tomorrow first.

Justin- Great news. I am happy for your family.

Terry- Funny story about your Grandfather.

Johnny- Nice layout shot.

Willie- Great looking motive power.

Chet- Nice stockyard shot. I hope your shoulder is doing OK.

Dave- Great photo.

Before photos
20190329_123510-2016x1512.jpg

20190329_123650-1612x1209.jpg

Today
20190329_141630-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon.

Greg - I wouldn't want to thing about trying to get the freezer out of the basement. When we brought it down there, the basement was unfinished and it took four pretty hefty guys to get it down there. It it dies, I could always fill it with dirt and turn it into a planter.

Willie - quite the video. Some people have more money than brains.

Dave
- Nice photo. Always enjoy seeing them.

Curt
- You must have just about fell over in the hobby shop when they had what you needed. Waiting to see the finished coal dock. So far as the shoulder goes, it's still a pain, literally. It doesn't bother me much during the day, but at night I just can't find a comfortable position. Would give anything for a good nights sleep. Almost, ALMOST went for the oxycodon last night.

Spent a lot of time running trains today. Not much else to do when you're grounded. Here the Northern Pacific outbound waits for the LV alco RS 4/5 to enter the yard to clear the main line.

thumbnail_20190329_132208.jpg

Later

Here the Northern Pacific outbound waits for the LV alco RS 4/5 to enter the yard to clear the main line.

Chet: That's a busy engine terminal. Sorry to hear you are still suffering from the surgery. This too shall pass.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back