Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis- Don't overdo it buddy. Tomorrow is another day.

Curt, those are true words of wisdom my friend. I pushed a little too hard yesterday trying to get done to see the Conference championships. I got done, but ended up going to be at 5pm when fatigue fell on me like a ton of bricks. I miss the end of the NFC game and woke up in time to see the post game interview with Tom Brady for the AFC game. I was not happy with missing so much or the outcome of each game.

The good news is other than the usual morning pains I feel good this morning.

Today I am resting and doing little else.

1548070837833.png

Good morning y'all. Happy MLK Day! 6° and sunny, going up near 15. Windy to noon.

Truckdad, that's a huge machine. Awesome pictures. makes the steam locomotive look like a toy!

Louis: Some familiar sights, eh?

I have no plans for outside activity today, I'm staying in to enjoy the warm. Possibly, spend some time with the layout. In ten more days, we will have been here 33 years. The weekend after we moved in, it was so cold that we drove over to Asbury Park to witness Artic Sea Smoke. The beach and Jetty were an amazing example of ice art. Not quite that cold this time, but it's cold.

Boris

Good Morning All. 34° and clear skies with a very bright full moon.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures, Louis, Chet, Garry, Curt, Joe, Karl, David and any other folks that I may have missed.

Nothing new to report from the train shed yesterday. Only ran trains and did some switching. Got to keep those engineers busy. I did pull out a DPM structure from the shelf and tossed it on the workbench to start on soon. I think it's called the Seymour Block. I already have one of these that I built about 15 years ago, but this one will be painted differently and placed in another town, a different aisle, a different level and a different viewing angle and no one will know it's a duplicate but me.

Louis - Hope Angela is feeling better soon. Dehydration - watch out. Note that coffee itself will not cause dehydration (you've posted that you drink a lot of it), but caffeine is a diuretic and may cause excess fluid loss. As a person ages, your body's fluid reserve becomes smaller, your ability to conserve water is reduced and your thirst sense becomes less acute. One key to avoiding dehydration is to drink plenty of fluids before you partake in an active schedule or strenuous activity. It takes longer to recover if you wait until you become dehydrated before addressing it. I dislike losing hours of my life recovering from anything...illnesses and hangovers are a good examples.
Garry - Yes there is a lot of track. Approximately 425 pieces of flex and in excess of 110 switches along with a bunch of older, recycled sectional track that I used on industrial spurs. Each of those staging yard tracks has 4-6 pieces of flex alone, and there are two other smaller ones as well.
Sherrel - People actually use garages for cars???
David -
Willie: WoW, that looks like quite a neat layout to operate on. I like the fact that you use a number of passing sightings which is very realistic of course. Do you or are you also going to use block signaling although that requires a fair amount of additional wiring. I'm also wondering about the height of your lower Mainline and that upper line
Operations was my goal from the very beginning. Originally I had 11 passing sidings, all long enough to hold 22-24 car trains, one has since been relegated to an arrival/departure track for the adjacent yard. No I do not plan to use any block signaling since I operate alone and don't run more than one train at a time. Lower level height is 36" and upper level is 52", a bit below my eye level. I have no grades as I model flatlands USA.

Today is the actual MLK holiday, even though his birthday was actually last week. Ever notice that liberals refer to him as Doctor Martin Luther King Jr., while conservatives refer to him as Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.? He was actually both.
Everybody have a great day.

They have made a comeback, of sorts.
www.wards.com
That's the modern way. In less than 10 years I doubt we will have half the "brick and mortar" retail stores we have now.

I always liked Montgomery Wards, I have yet to order online from them, but I keep saying I will. I liked Sears as well, but K-Mart was my favorite. I really miss my local Big K-Mart. The Sears/K-Mart "Shop Your Way Rewards" program when combined with the Sears Mastercard was the very best rewards program I ever participated in.

The Sears Outlet on route 1 (Belair Road) just northeast of Baltimore City has recently closed. That was where I picked up my $900 washing machine for $594, just a few weeks ago.

They can say "free shipping", but I know somebody has to pay and that always means the consumer.

Louis - Hope Angela is feeling better soon. Dehydration - watch out. Note that coffee itself will not cause dehydration (you've posted that you drink a lot of it), but caffeine is a diuretic and may cause excess fluid loss. As a person ages, your body's fluid reserve becomes smaller, your ability to conserve water is reduced and your thirst sense becomes less acute. One key to avoiding dehydration is to drink plenty of fluids before you partake in an active schedule or strenuous activity. It takes longer to recover if you wait until you become dehydrated before addressing it. I dislike losing hours of my life recovering from anything...illnesses and hangovers are a good examples.

Today is the actual MLK holiday, even though his birthday was actually last week. Ever notice that liberals refer to him as Doctor Martin Luther King Jr., while conservatives refer to him as Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.? He was actually both.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie, Angela is feeling much better, but that respiratory infection lingers. You think it's over and she wakes up with a minor sore throat.

You should have been a doctor. I have heard almost those same words from my doctors. Even as a young athlete (hard to believe now) I knew "drink before you get thirsty", but cramps have always plagued me.

I drink any kind of clear diet soda, warm over a full 32oz/44oz cup of ice before going to bed and in the morning between pots of coffee. It works great, when I don't forget! When it's hot I drink sugar free Power Aid in addition to the soda and ice.

Thank God I am a man. If you see an Amazon driver reliving himself behind a tree, don't worry, it's probably me :)

Happy Birthday to Reverend, Doctor Martin Luther King. I think that is fitting coming from a liberal conservative like myself. :)

Talking about retail stores I should mention Target. I never liked Target until they opened a store in Canton. That store has the nicest associates and managers. They also have a Red Card that can be used like a debt card as it is linked to a bank account. The benefit is that you get and instant 5% discount when you use the card. They also have a Target Mastercard and store credit cards that offer a 5% discount.

Amazon also has a 5% discount when using the Amazon credit card.

I always buy my boys video games from Target or Amazon because the latest video games are seldom ever on sale. With Target or Amazon I at least get a 5% discount.

From my experience target has great customer service, both online and in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back