Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louis, neither LHS has an online presence to speak of.

Terry I feel for shops in that position. If they sell online they almost have to provide discounts and everybody complains about shipping. (blame Amazon) If they sell at discounted prices the in store customers will of course want the same discounts.

It would take some deep pockets to be able to transition to online sales, but if they don't, I don't see how they can survive.

The modern world is changing so fast. The ones who get hurt most by it are those who are slow to transition or don't have the resources to make the changes necessary to compete.

Good morning everybody ....

I'm trying to catch up on all of your posts. Lots of interesting comments and photos.

Willie ..... You have lot of track on your layout.

Max ... I like the Pittsburgh photos.

Chet ... It looks like a lot of fun with switching operations on your layout.

Karl ... That is a neat way to store paint.

Good Morning - been up for a couple hours already - just reading the Spousal Units FaceBook positings of the trip.
She put up many photos of their trip to Normandie. I think I am going to have to find my hammer and nails to keep her feet on the floor when she returns.
I have to return to Riverside tomorrow morning for a try at physical therpy for my balence problem. Doctor suggested that I at least try it once. PIA as it is 65 miles away and takes minimum of 1.5 hours to drive meaning by the time I get back I will have shot over 1/2 the day.

MAX-JIM (whomever you are) I have really been enjoying your Pittisburg photos -- spent many nights in the Sheraton right at that "Goldon Triangle" point during the 60's and early 70's. Rode a few of those trolleys around, but failed to make it over to the TRAM.

Supposed to be in the 70's again today, but suddenly - it has clouded over! It was clear just a short while ago.
I'm going to run over to Wally World before it gets busy and grab a few things. Namely out of doggie treats and need a couple racks of eggs. SIL (daughters hubby) came over and helped me get the Xmas boxes back up on the shelves.
Amazing - his reach is little over a foot more than mine and he could put the containers on the top shelve without using a ladder - I anmstoked!

Plan on trying to hollow out enough room in the garage to get the car back inside. Almost had it made yesterday, but need to have another foot to open the drivers door. Going to be tough to do and not have everything piled up where no isles will be usable to reach anything.

Also want to watcch the games today as KC was my hometown team when i lived there - and New Orleans is my "go too" team after the Packers. Go Chiefs - Go Saints!

Good morning. 34 degrees to start off the day. There is a winter weather advisory out but if we're lucky, the mountains to the south will keep and weather away. I am guessing that some of you may be moving some snow and others glad that the storm missed them.

The U-505 is something I enjoyed taking a tour of. Being ex Navy ships always interested me. When we were in Hawaii we took a tour to the Arizona Memorial and also took a tour of the USS Bowfin which is on display at the Museum. I couldn't get over how tight the conditions were inside the sub compared to what we had on the ship I was on, a guided missile frigate. When we were on a road trip we visited relatives in northern Indiana and had some time to kill so we went to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago and went on board the U-505. Our sub mariners had it a lot better in WW II the the German sailors.

Jim - Nice photos from Pittsburgh. Liked the trolleys. Louis had also posted some excellent photos of trolleys and of Baltimore.

Not a lot of history out here in Montana compared to the east coast. This is the oldest known photo of Bozeman, MT taken in 1866.

Bozeman-1866.jpg

Here are a few taken in the early to mid 1900's.

23796_3283_540_Screen_shot_2014_08_02_at_2_27_47_PM.png
Main-Street-Old-Bozeman-Photos.jpg
25317_5584_309_Hathorn_block.jpg

large.jpg

The Ellen Theater above is still around and operating as a theater. In the third photo, it looks like a lot of prototypes for DPM kits. The looks of downtown Bozemen pretty well looks the same today.

Willie - Great photos. Thanks for posting. It give a better idea of what you're doing.

Hope to get back down into the train room and run more trains later today.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Gfp-wisconsin-madison-sunset-over-the-train-tracks-by-the-lake.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Very windy here with later rain and temps in the 30's tomorrow morning. o_O Did some chores earlier. I'm helping the wife in the kitchen from time to time in preparation for tonight's family get together. No train room time again today. Tomorrow I hope to get back to the build.

Joe- No issues. I think everyone rants from time to time especially these days.

Chet- Thank you. Nice layout shots. We do have leftovers, you just have to show up.

Willie- Impressive layout.

Garry- Continuing to wish your MIL and family with all the best.

Louis- Don't overdo it buddy. Tomorrow is another day.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Rain ended around 1000, at 1100 it was 54° and cloudy, now it's sunny and 28°. That's 26° drop in 4 hours.
Curt: Gotcha!
Chet: Great photos, look just like DPM structures.
Willie: That's quite a railroad. Lot of work over time over.
Jim: Great Pittsburgh Photos.
Louis: You have competition. ;)

Boris

Howdy .

Chet .... Thanks for sharing teh historic photos of Bozeman. Very interesting.

Curt ... Thanks for the good thoughts.

Dave Truckdad...... That may be the biggest truck anywhere. Remarkable.

Chet,The blower is quite handy when the snow is deep and have limited places to put it.
Willie,the loader has made many projects much easier.Helps with those big hard snow drifts also.Nice pics of the layout,I got to get back to mine when the weather slows up.

Good evening,back from work,long day got the driveway cleaned out,dinner and a hot cup of coffee.Doing it all again tomorrow.

Karl: Good shot of you, glad to see at your work bench which looks very organized yet it seems we still wind up with a limited work area. Have you got any layout set up yet ?

Take care David

Just my display modules left over from my club days, 16 feet of straight modules plus a corner. However , the "permanent" layout has been laid out in a software program, and the wood acquired, just need time and an extra pair of hands now and then.

Good evening guys
Riding on the Mucinex express today, my head cold has gone bonkers! :oops:

Garry, Prayers for your MIL

Willie, looks like you have quite the set up there. Glad you liked the paint rack pics

Louis, The MPG calculator in the Impala and my paper and pencil calculations never agree. Usually the car reads 2-3 mpg higher than what filling up each tank dictates. But still, commuting to work it displays 27-28 mpg, which makes me feel good , even though it really should say 25. Conversely, I'm glad my truck doesn't have that feature. 15 mpg is depressing!

Chet Nice layout pics!

Been doing more research on the upcoming D&S trip, thanks to all for the tips and recommendations. I can't wait!

Good evening guys
Riding on the Mucinex express today, my head cold has gone bonkers! :oops:
KARL -- What has helped me more than anything with a cold is Alka Seltzer cold plus and at bedtime a good swig of Nyquil.
Been doing more research on the upcoming D&S trip, thanks to all for the tips and recommendations. I can't wait!
If your planning on overnighting in Durango -- plan to have dinner at the BAR DEE Chuckwagon a little north of Durango!
Another thing to keep in mind is to ride the train up and come back on the bus. That way you get to see a different look unless you are going up HW550 on North.

If your planning on overnighting in Durango -- plan to have dinner at the BAR DEE Chuckwagon a little north of Durango!
Another thing to keep in mind is to ride the train up and come back on the bus. That way you get to see a different look unless you are going up HW550 on North.

I think we are going to fly into Albuquerque on the morning of the 13th, rent a car and drive to Durango. Spend the night amd ride the train the next day. A Jeep tour the following day then back to Albuquerque to see her neice then back home by Friday. Any hotel recommendations? In town?

Willie: WoW, that looks like quite a neat layout to operate on. I like the fact that you use a number of passing sightings which is very realistic of course. Do you or are you also going to use block signaling although that requires a fair amount of additional wiring. I'm also wondering about the height of your lower Mainline and that upper line as you mentioned once before your a short person yet the photos make it as though the lower Mainline 40 inches above the floor on the Upperline probably about 58 inches from floor level ? So I was wondering how you handle that as my logging area on my layout will be at eye level for me and I'm 5 ft 9 in and height. I'm not all that tall but seeing things literally at eye level doesn't seem all that a natural to me !?

I like switching too as it adds to the realism indeed. Another thing that that really adds to the realism train movement is that whistle or horn signals to alert the train crew of movement ! It's more involved but a lot more realistic. Even though we are using just DC there is an App for your smart phone, that has both adjustable whistle and horn sounds and allows us to blow the sounds to our liking when and as desired. Let me know if your interested ?

Good Morning - been up for a couple hours already - just reading the Spousal Units FaceBook positings of the trip.
She put up many photos of their trip to Normandie. I think I am going to have to find my hammer and nails to keep her feet on the floor when she returns.
I have to return to Riverside tomorrow morning for a try at physical therpy for my balence problem. Doctor suggested that I at least try it once. PIA as it is 65 miles away and takes minimum of 1.5 hours to drive meaning by the time I get back I will have shot over 1/2 the day.

MAX-JIM (whomever you are) I have really been enjoying your Pittisburg photos -- spent many nights in the Sheraton right at that "Goldon Triangle" point during the 60's and early 70's. Rode a few of those trolleys around, but failed to make it over to the TRAM.

Supposed to be in the 70's again today, but suddenly - it has clouded over! It was clear just a short while ago.
I'm going to run over to Wally World before it gets busy and grab a few things. Namely out of doggie treats and need a couple racks of eggs. SIL (daughters hubby) came over and helped me get the Xmas boxes back up on the shelves.
Amazing - his reach is little over a foot more than mine and he could put the containers on the top shelve without using a ladder - I anmstoked!

Plan on trying to hollow out enough room in the garage to get the car back inside. Almost had it made yesterday, but need to have another foot to open the drivers door. Going to be tough to do and not have everything piled up where no isles will be usable to reach anything.

Also want to watcch the games today as KC was my hometown team when i lived there - and New Orleans is my "go too" team after the Packers. Go Chiefs - Go Saints!

Sherrel: About keeping your wife's feet on the ground. Ah, forget the nails, use Hob-e-Tac on the souls of her feet and clip her wings ! It's re-positionable but lift-off will be a considerable job !
I think I rember you saying she was in the Marines so that certainly would be an emotional event!

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Started off at 28 degrees with cloudy skies. Some snow is expected tonight.

Looking at the current radar, a lot of you are getting some precipitation. Glad I'm not in the north east right now.

View attachment 33493

Karl - You do look busy in the photo. Like your paint storage. I used to have more room and stored my paint in an old display case, but no room for it any more. You'll really enjoy the trip on the D&S. We've done it over a dozen times and never get tired of the scenery. Fantastic trip.

Curt - Did you save any dumplings for the rest of us ????? Sounds good. Like the truck train photo. Perfect to the era I'm modeling.

Louis - Those Mosquitos were quite the plane. Could be configured as both a bomber and a fighter and capable of over 400 mph at altitude. Was always a fan of them. As Sherrel mentioned, they were made out of wood. Also, keep the trolley photos coming. Really enjoy the period photos.

Greg - Rid-ex does work. When we built, we had to meet VA specs and with the number of bedrooms and bathrooms we had to put in a 2,000 septic tank. With only two kids, and now that we are empty nesters, we have only had to pump the septic tank 4 times in 41 years. Glad the snow is your way. Like the photo. The ore cars look familiar.

Tom - That some nice power equipment. I miss my old tractor with the snow blower attachment like your John Deere. Picked up an Ariens with a 48" mowing deck, 48" snow blower and a double extension rotor tiller for $3,000. It was a year old demonstrator., Picked ap a three point hitch for it and got a one bpottom plow and grading blade for it also. That tractor worked 12 months out of the year. We had a 100 ft by 30 ft garden back then. Where we're at we can get some pretty bad drifting and that snow blower was quite the rig. I kept a quarter of a mile long lane cleared as well as my driveway and the neighbors. After around 30 years of constant use it finally died on me one afternoon while mowing. It started running rough and I felt something warm on my leg. Stopped and looked at the engine and you could see the bottom of the piston and the rod through the side of the block. They wanted 42,000 for a new short block motor so it was finally retired. Ended up picking up a new Husqvarna with a 48" mowing deck as we keep a 2 acre lawn. The new tractor was $2.300. I put a plow on it in the winter, but still got a nice 2 stage snowblower as the driveway would start getting a bit too narrow. I use the blower to clear the berms on the edge of the driveway if needed.

Sherrel - Did you make a mess while the other half was on her trip? Bad boy. You should take your daughter out to dinner for the help.

I did run trains today and enjoyed all of the switching. Here are a few photos.

View attachment 33498View attachment 33499View attachment 33501

Here the Alco switcher is taking an empty Gon from the yard and spots it at the salvage yard and an NP NW2 picks up a couple of reefers and takes them to the yard for an outbound freight.

View attachment 33502 View attachment 33503 View attachment 33505

Here the little 70 tonnner backs into the factory and spots a couple of box cars and parks in front of the freight station where it is usually kept when not in use.

Hope no one gets snowed in. Later

Chet: Needless to say, you have quite a layout too !

Louis, The MPG calculator in the Impala and my paper and pencil calculations never agree. Usually the car reads 2-3 mpg higher than what filling up each tank dictates. But still, commuting to work it displays 27-28 mpg, which makes me feel good , even though it really should say 25. Conversely, I'm glad my truck doesn't have that feature. 15 mpg is depressing!

Karl are you resetting the calculator each time you fill up? I even use the same pump when I fill up because some pumps automatically shut off differently. Regardless, any way you look at 25mpg is great for a big comfortable car like your Impala.

For the record; depending on the routes I run for Amazon I get anywhere from 24.5mpg to 27mpg with my Chevy City Express mini-cargo van.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back