Running Bear's January 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl - Another picture or two would be greatly appreciated. Mine are all stored precariously upside down on a shelf.

Ask and ye shall find!
20190119_154555.jpg
20190119_154540.jpg

The 1st shot is straight on, the 2nd pic shows the groove cut into the 1x4 to allow the 1/8 inch luan underlayment to slide in. It also shows the 1/2 inch aluminum angle that holds the jars. I don't remember the angle I cut the grove at, but the whole thing is 20 inches long x 14 inches tall and the shelf cuts were made 3.75 inches apart.

Good afternoon. It's raining and 41.
Since it wasn't supposed to rain until late tonight, my wife talked me into driving to Roanoke for the car's first "trip" under its new ownership. It performed sell, everything works, and the little fuel data thingy says it gets 27mpg. Of course, it started to rain just after Noon.
Now, if I could get USPS to deliver the maintenance parts I ordered that were supposed to be here today, but are "out for delivery" with the mail man stuffing some ads in the mailbox and driving off...
I got a pretty severe case of sticker shock at the LHS, though. I was able to find a pair of Athearn RTR NS MOW gondolas, the total was $57 for the pair. That was my modeling budget for the next month...

Good Afternoon Everyone.......mostly cloudy with no more snow for today.

I did make it down to the train room and ran some trains for awhile before doing any work. I ran a 16 car ore train and a track cleaning train with two CenterLine cars with the rear car's roller wet with ACT 6006 solution. The first train found a couple of dirty areas.

While the trains were running I ran a ALCO into the mine spur for the first time. A few dirty spots that the Masonite pad car took care of with a couple of passes.

Found out one Tortoise motor wasn't working. Opened the panel to find a broken wire for the Tortoise at the DPDT mini-toggle switch. Repaired the wire and then no power to the panel.

Noticed that the cab mounted strobe light on the ALCO locomotive isn't working. It has a NCE decoder and I alwyas forget which function operates the strobe. Next time I'll work on that problem which is likely operator error.

I must of put the card connector for the troublesome Tortoise on wrong and it shorted out the power supply and tripped the internal breaker. Fixed that problem. I real task since this section of the layout is above my work bench and both visibility and accessibility is poor unless I wheel the workbench out from under the layout.

Willie: The cabin is in Sand Country so the septic tank's field drains real well. Maybe several hundred or more feet of sand below the septic field. The original well was a sand point down 50 feet and I replaced that 12 years ago with a 4 inch driven well at 80 feet after the sand well went dry over winter. We have a over abundance of high capacity farm wells that irrigate the farmers' fields, but they pump so much water they also drop the water tables. Being sand the soil drys out in several days, rain or no rain.

That's all for now.

Greg

#######################

Train at Crossing.JPG

Joe- Don't sugar coat it, how do you really feel?:D
Curt:;) I should spend more time working on the layout, and less time on line, eh?:rolleyes: The temperature actually reached 39° this afternoon, and the rain, (snow has been removed from the forecast), hasn't started yet so I have my fingers crossed.

Photo is Richmond, VA
Jim: I have alwys been impressed with that location. Think it was Seaboard on top, C&O in the middle and Southern on the bottom. Still an impressive photo. BTW: I also love Eggplant.

Went through some old files today, and found stuff from 1999, for accounts no longer open. I guess I don't need them, eh?:rolleyes: I also ran a few trains. Been a while because I had a few stalls due to dirty track. Something else to add to the list.

Boris

Good afternoon. Started off at 28 degrees with cloudy skies. Some snow is expected tonight.

Looking at the current radar, a lot of you are getting some precipitation. Glad I'm not in the north east right now.

animate.png.gif

Karl - You do look busy in the photo. Like your paint storage. I used to have more room and stored my paint in an old display case, but no room for it any more. You'll really enjoy the trip on the D&S. We've done it over a dozen times and never get tired of the scenery. Fantastic trip.

Curt - Did you save any dumplings for the rest of us ????? Sounds good. Like the truck train photo. Perfect to the era I'm modeling.

Louis
- Those Mosquitos were quite the plane. Could be configured as both a bomber and a fighter and capable of over 400 mph at altitude. Was always a fan of them. As Sherrel mentioned, they were made out of wood. Also, keep the trolley photos coming. Really enjoy the period photos.

Greg - Rid-ex does work. When we built, we had to meet VA specs and with the number of bedrooms and bathrooms we had to put in a 2,000 septic tank. With only two kids, and now that we are empty nesters, we have only had to pump the septic tank 4 times in 41 years. Glad the snow is your way. Like the photo. The ore cars look familiar.

Tom - That some nice power equipment. I miss my old tractor with the snow blower attachment like your John Deere. Picked up an Ariens with a 48" mowing deck, 48" snow blower and a double extension rotor tiller for $3,000. It was a year old demonstrator., Picked ap a three point hitch for it and got a one bpottom plow and grading blade for it also. That tractor worked 12 months out of the year. We had a 100 ft by 30 ft garden back then. Where we're at we can get some pretty bad drifting and that snow blower was quite the rig. I kept a quarter of a mile long lane cleared as well as my driveway and the neighbors. After around 30 years of constant use it finally died on me one afternoon while mowing. It started running rough and I felt something warm on my leg. Stopped and looked at the engine and you could see the bottom of the piston and the rod through the side of the block. They wanted 42,000 for a new short block motor so it was finally retired. Ended up picking up a new Husqvarna with a 48" mowing deck as we keep a 2 acre lawn. The new tractor was $2.300. I put a plow on it in the winter, but still got a nice 2 stage snowblower as the driveway would start getting a bit too narrow. I use the blower to clear the berms on the edge of the driveway if needed.

Sherrel - Did you make a mess while the other half was on her trip? Bad boy. You should take your daughter out to dinner for the help.

I did run trains today and enjoyed all of the switching. Here are a few photos.

thumbnail_20190119_123057.jpg thumbnail_20190119_121946.jpg thumbnail_20190119_123431.jpg

Here the Alco switcher is taking an empty Gon from the yard and spots it at the salvage yard and an NP NW2 picks up a couple of reefers and takes them to the yard for an outbound freight.

thumbnail_20190119_130820.jpg thumbnail_20190119_130341.jpg thumbnail_20190119_125945.jpg

Here the little 70 tonnner backs into the factory and spots a couple of box cars and parks in front of the freight station where it is usually kept when not in use.

Hope no one gets snowed in. Later

Howdy, everybody ..

We returned from two days in Nashville this afternoon, and arrived home before the heavy rain became heavy snow. Still snowing now. ...... We visited Shelley's Mom in the hospital in Nashville. She is out of ICU for now, but she is suffering when awake.

Not much model railroading from me to report......

Sherrel, to each his own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the modern Ford pickup trucks are weird looking, but they are number one in sales.

Don't be too concerned about offending the Brits. After my divorce and before I met my Angel I had a girl friend from Bristol, England. She made fun of us relentlessly. I learned from her that many Brits look down on us and they have pretty thick skin. Beautiful young lady, but she could be downright mean! When we broke up she told me "I hope your Christmas tree burns down". She knew my soft spots.

What do you think of this British plane? It's my favorite, It gave them a lot of bang for the buck!
View attachment 33460
de Havilland Mosquito

Louis: A good come back might have been, "and I hope your next boyfriend has a rusty festivus pole" !

Good evening Track Gang,

Hi Francine - Flo, How about some coffee and a Apple Fritter. Do I want extra Cinnamon ? Yes, thanks.

The weather app shows the low was 44°F and the 62°F, currently it 48°F and clear with wind blowing from the NE at 3mph, No chance of rain till 5:00 Pm tomorrow but then only 46% but steadily increasing through the night.

Earlier I got up on my roof to see if I couldn't find the trouble spots that leaked during the past rain and sure enough I found 6 to 8 places that could have been where the prior leaks started from right at the peak or close to it.

I knew it was supposed to rain tomorrow so I figured I had better get it done today so hopefully I can enjoy some Railroading tomorrow. Maybe even a bit tonight !?

Curt: Your welcome, you deserve the compliment.

Willie: Yes, Rid-X does seem to work but what I can't understand is what seemed to plug up my 4" diameter drain line as I don't flush any paper down and haven't for quite a number of years since 2005 and only had a couple of similar situation in the past. Really strange. I put Rid-X down now and then but generally forget to do so. I have a large septic tank and two 20' deep cesspools.

Time for some more coffee, all have a good night.

Amazon has it, was it worth reading?

View attachment 33461
I liked it. Gallery traces both the 505 and his own movements for several months before they converge for their encounter. When you go aboard the 505 today, you'll find that the bulkhead hatches that the crew had to dive through, a la Das Boot, have been enlarged to full-sized doorways to let the tourists shuffle through.

The wife had a nightmare an hour ago and I couldnt get back to sleep, so here I am, at 4 am. We were on the edge of the Big Storm, so only got a couple of inches of snow. Now we're expecting super-cold coming down out of Canuckiana; it's 2°at the moment, and clear.

Good afternoon. It's raining and 41.
Since it wasn't supposed to rain until late tonight, my wife talked me into driving to Roanoke for the car's first "trip" under its new ownership. It performed sell, everything works, and the little fuel data thingy says it gets 27mpg. Of course, it started to rain just after Noon.
Now, if I could get USPS to deliver the maintenance parts I ordered that were supposed to be here today, but are "out for delivery" with the mail man stuffing some ads in the mailbox and driving off...
I got a pretty severe case of sticker shock at the LHS, though. I was able to find a pair of Athearn RTR NS MOW gondolas, the total was $57 for the pair. That was my modeling budget for the next month...

Terry, I'm glad to hear the road test went well.

From my experience those MPG calculators work great. Here is some "scientific" evidence for you ;) When I first bought my van I calculated the mileage the old fashioned way every time I frilled up. Using the same pump at the same filling station each time. The result was always within a half a mile/gallon, usually less. of the MPG calculator. I have since quit doing it, but I spot check it occasionally with the same results. I'm still amazed the thing works so good.

Does your local shop sell online? If not they are walking a hard road. The cost of the building, power, staff and all the rest is a heavy burden for a hobby shop.

Good morning, happy Sunday! Today, is not a good beach day. 42° and raining. It's been 42 since about 1800 last night, and has been raining since 2000. Depending on the reporting station, we have between .46" and 1.19" overnight. So much for Snowmageddon #3. However, by Wednesday, we are in for Snowmageddon #4. It's like the boy "crying wolf".

I had trouble sleeping, this morning, so I'm up extra early. no particular reason, just not tired I guess.

Have a great day, and stay dry!

Boris

Following up on the post last week regarding the building of the train shed, several folks asked about what it looks like now. I looked through some photos (didn't remember to take any while I was out there) to find some suitable ones to show what parts of it look like today. First up is a picture of the east side staging yard. It's empty in this picture as I was cleaning and vacuuming track at the time. There's 12-tracks about 16' long here. It has been expanded since this picture was taken, with the five tracks on the right being extended by 3'6". All tracks can hold at least 22-24 cars, with the extended tracks able to hold 31-32 each. I normally keep two or three tracks open for fluidity. The freight car storage shelf above has since been removed and replaced by the upper level.
01-13-13 002.JPG

Here's a view of the upper level on the north wall, showing a vast expanse of plywood that awaits development. The industries are already determined and are being switched, lots of other structures are tentatively placed but may be moved once I really get into developing the area. The whole area is approximately 2' x 18'. That's a Dash9-44CW (as ATSF referred to them as) and a BNSF SD40-2 with a mixed freight, waiting on the siding for a unit grain train that's approaching on the main.
09-26-18 023.JPG

A view of the town of Vernon with a trio of SD40-2's pulling an intermodal freight. Disregard the leaning Mobil sign; it has since been uprighted!
09-22-18 008.JPG

Next up is the ADM grain elevator and part of an industrial district, located on the lower level below picture #2. It has partial scenery for now. The mixed freight is waiting on the passing siding for an intermodal freight to pass going north.
09-22-18 011.JPG

One last one for now. This is the cantilevered upper level "turnback" loop located at the end of a peninsula, which was under construction at the time. Note that it is nestled between picture #2 on the left and picture #3 on the right, with a view of the grain elevator below on the left.
09-04-16 003.JPG

I'll dig out some more or maybe I'll remember to take some more as time permits.
Be back in a bit.

Good Morning All. Looks like 23° and mostly clear skies obscuring the full moon.o_O If the neighboring coyotes are out, they're being awfully quiet. Snowmageddon yesterday officially amounted to .2" of ice/snow. Covered the cars, ground and the north side of the trees, but left nothing on the roads. All gone before noon. Mixed but dry weather for the next ten days with temperatures mostly staying above freezing at night. House stayed nice and warm yesterday despite the 25-35 mph north winds, those insulated Low-E windows that I installed a few years back really do the trick.
Made my way out to the train shed yesterday afternoon for a little train running. Did a little more wiring with the new wire that I acquired a few weeks ago. Almost finished replacing the upper level lighting buss. Lower level is next, but lots of stuff will need to be moved in order to provide access. At least every connection is labeled on the terminal strips which makes tracing a lot easier.

Karl - Thanks for the follow-up pictures of the paint rack. I keep my paints stored upside down as well, and this will help to keep from knocking them over.
Greg - Nothing like those early 70's speakers for bringing out the best in music. Of course that's one reason why I am 40% hearing impaired in both ears! Say what?
Tom - Nice set of garage occupants. Don't need the blower here, but the front end loader sure would be handy.
Curt - I thought that photo that Louis posted looked familiar.
Garry - Continued prayers for your MIL.

Everybody have a great Sunday

Good morning. It's partly sunny (the part that's not over my house) and 41, wind is out of the North at 20, with gusts to 40.

Louis, neither LHS has an online presence to speak of.

Good morning Everybody!

Busy morning for me. I worked the last 3 days. using up most of my few hours of daily productivity. I'm trying to make up for lost time. I experienced some cramping last night for the first time in while. Doctor warned me that could be a sign of dehydration and that will contribute/hamper my recovery from renal fatigue. I feel good, but I am still taking the day off. I'll be safe rather than sorry, I'm finally learning.

I've been staging things I need for a few projects, washing clothes and catching up on other mundane daily chores. My wife has been battling a cold so I sent her back to bed for rest. I'll wait until she is awake before I start making noise. My first project is replacing the weather stripping on the doors. I put it off long enough. We are forecasted to have what I consider cold weather, single digits!

For those who remember I usually take my Mom to the grocery store on Sundays, we switched that to Mondays, but she wants to go on Tuesday this week, easy enough. My Mom is great about being flexible with my work schedule, I'm more than happy to accommodate her rare request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back