Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Have all the screen prep work done but when son rolled out of bed (he work's late) the thunder started so it has been delayed until tomorrow. I did get some other stuff done outside.

Justin- Nice shot of the deserted coaling tower.

Garry- Nice Chicago rail shot.

Karl- Nice rail shot.

Willie- It doesn't sound like the cricket was in HO scale.;)

Chet- Nice rail shot.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Either everyone has a lot going on today, or they're still hung up on Karl's rail pic. Lol

Either everyone has a lot going on today, or they're still hung up on Karl's rail pic. Lol
I was busy herding cats yesterday. We sold a special edition travel trailer, and it had to be gotten ready for pick up tomorrow. Turns out, somebody got into the trailer while it was sitting, open and unattended in a remote area of the lot, and stole all the specialty items left laying around inside it. The only things that weren't stolen are broken.
We'll see how long before somebody decides it's my fault, even though I repeatedly told the GM not to park the hyper-expensive trailers in that spot, and not to leave them unlocked with nobody around. Oh, well, it's only $137,990...

Good morning y'all. A rather pleasant 70 this morning. Going to climb back into the low 90s again today. I'm hoping for a better day today. Got a call from my pastor yesterday evening. A friend of mine was killed in an accident at work yesterday morning. I don't know a lot of detail, just that it involved the piece of equipment he was driving. I just saw him last Sunday at church and now he's gone. It's a shocking reminder that life is short and fragile. Set work aside last night at spent some time as a family building and playing with my son's trains. Definitely makes tomorrow's trip to the museum all the more important. Y'all have a good day.

I was busy herding cats yesterday. We sold a special edition travel trailer, and it had to be gotten ready for pick up tomorrow. Turns out, somebody got into the trailer while it was sitting, open and unattended in a remote area of the lot, and stole all the specialty items left laying around inside it. The only things that weren't stolen are broken.
We'll see how long before somebody decides it's my fault, even though I repeatedly told the GM not to park the hyper-expensive trailers in that spot, and not to leave them unlocked with nobody around. Oh, well, it's only $137,990...

Sounds like you had your hands full for sure. I don't understand what makes people do things like that. Hopefully this will a lesson learned and they will take your advice.

Golden rule of management: Always blame an underling.

I spent 5 years working for city and county government. In that time I learned the true role of management: Show up, @#$& things up, and leave. And this rule was 100% accurate because every time the boss showed up and then left, we were left scratching our heads trying to figure out what he was thinking (if at all).

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. It's finally Friday! Hopefully make some progress on the layout this weekend. Some eBay humor for you guys. My daily eBay trolling a dug up this gem. Now I know the blue box locomotives are turning into collectors items but this one takes the cake. I'd venture to say the seller has no idea what he has and clearly has only read the box.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113158468356

Wish they attached a pic of the item.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. It's finally Friday! Hopefully make some progress on the layout this weekend. Some eBay humor for you guys. My daily eBay trolling a dug up this gem. Now I know the blue box locomotives are turning into collectors items but this one takes the cake. I'd venture to say the seller has no idea what he has and clearly has only read the box.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113158468356

Correction! Attach a photo with the link on here. I haven't made it through my first cup of coffee yet.

Good Morning again. Cooled off some in the last hour, it's now 77° and still mostly cloudy. It's only supposed to get to 97° today, down from 102° yesterday. I'm watering parts of the yard right now, helps if grassfires are in the area. So far we have been spared, still most of them around here are ignited by careless tossing of cigarette butts out car windows. I had a successful grocery/beer trek yesterday, picking up everything that we still needed for the bathroom remodel except the cursed shower door. I finished up all of the electrical connections since my contractor doesn't do electrical. We agreed on this before he started so he didn't have to hire an electrician for a 90 minute job. I do all of my own anyway, including the full wiring of the train shed, 120v & 240v for tools in the adjacent shop. He still won't be back until we have the door because he only wants to make one trip.
Going to a memorial service later today for the wife of a man that I have known for 57 years (since grade school). He once dated my youngest sister during their high school years. His wife died unexpectedly in her sleep at the young age of 64. He currently works for my brother's home renovation company.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued my efforts to run as many trains as I could. I ran two more switching locals in some different towns, switching out another dozen industries. No 1:1 cricket derailments yesterday. Some spider webs from some minuscule spiders that reside out there. Speaking of crickets, a couple of days ago, I found some damage to one of the "Super Trees" that I had planted in a scene. Thinking that I had a rodent, I set a couple of traps. No rodents; yesterday I found a cricket happily munching on a stem. I happily sent it to cricket heaven. Note to self: Time to set a cricket trap. Since I hate to see an empty workbench, I started a new structure yesterday. Trimmed flash and test-fitted walls. The kit is a City Classics kit called "Smallman Street Warehouse", a typical small industrial building that will go somewhere between the court house that I recently posted and "Middlesex Manufacturing Co.", an Atlas kit that I built two or three years ago.

Chet - That's one colorful rail picture from yesterday.
Sherrel - Hopefully you're having a safe trip.
Terry - I have also seen management make some real bone-headed decisions that cost $$$. Yes they like to blame underlings. Reminds me of one instance with my company. I was initially named as project manager for two products. I was removed from one of them when I wrote a detailed memo explaining why a certain aluminum window project would be a failure from the start. The president and director of engineering took it over, and it took them three years and $1,850,000 to implement. Never sold a single unit. A companion vinyl window project that I still headed was implemented in seven months at a cost of $350,000 and sold enough units in 18 months to pay off development costs. Never received a thank you.
Justin - That seems to be a rather steep price for that engine. I wish the seller luck.

Everybody have a great day and upcoming weekend.

There's another in the also for sale at the bottom of the listing for $34.99

I actually stumbled upon this unit. I just decided to inspect it and see what is so special about it. The fact you can tell there is no motor in it. Or did it fall inside? Wait!!! Black wheels? Plastic maybe? Is this a dummy? I don't recall the blue box athearns having solid black wheels. $99 though is more than I'll ever pay for a blue box. Especially a dummy!!! Maybe $20 for a dummy but then again on an occasion powered ones sell for that.

I actually stumbled upon this unit. I just decided to inspect it and see what is so special about it. The fact you can tell there is no motor in it. Or did it fall inside? Wait!!! Black wheels? Plastic maybe? Is this a dummy? I don't recall the blue box athearns having solid black wheels. $99 though is more than I'll ever pay for a blue box. Especially a dummy!!! Maybe $20 for a dummy but then again on an occasion powered ones sell for that.

Oh yeah, black wheels you can bet its a dummy.

Good morning. 50 degrees with an expected high in the mid 70's. As soon as it warms up a bit, it will be time to mow. (again)

Justin - Nice looking geep. Can't believe the price. I bought my undecorated geep that I custom painted for my railroad for around $35, but that was quite a while ago. I have always liked the B&O colors.

Mike - enjoy yourself in San Juan.

Terry - That is a big ouch with that travel trailer. Bummer.

Jesse - Sorry to hear about your friend.

Did run some trains at the club yesterday. Quite busy with a lot of visitors and there was a wreck. Someone (not me, I was in another room) pushed the wrong button at the wrong tine causing a derailment at a cross over. At the same time, another train going in th eother direction cut the derailed train in half, sending quite a few car rolling down grade and ending up in a heap at the curve at the bottom.

While they were soring things out, I took a few photo in the town of Gardiner.

20180726_145616.jpg

20180726_145636.jpg

Here are a few more photos taken around the club layout.

20180726_152450.jpg

20180726_132552.jpg

20180726_144859.jpg

20180726_144951.jpg

When I was leaving the club, a westbound mixed freight was sitting on the departure track. Snapped a quick photo of the power, and as I was pulling out of the parking lot, a couple of MRL units pulled up on the next track as they would be helpers over th e pass. One of them was one of the SD-45's, number 705 that Toot had mentioned that was put back into service.

20180726_154758.jpg

Guess I'll head outside and puck up hoses so I can get started mowing.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train-track-wallpapers-37967-38837-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Later

Good morning, everybody .....

Terry .... Your comment reminds me of the early auto rack cars on railroads. A load of new Oldsmobiles, for example, could be placed on an interchange track at a remote location over a weekend. By the time crews of the second railroad was picked up, the new Olds would be heavily damaged by thieves and vandals. .... Note: I was an analyst in the railroad's marketing department when we compared numerous prototypes of enclosed auto racks. I prepared a financial analysis of each alternative design. Designing the end doors was a challenge for mechanical engineers. Eventually, a design was agreed on by various railroad companies. Los and Dmage claims dropped sharply with the enclosed auto racks.

Chet .... Nice photos of the club layout, BNSF units, and rail photo of the day.

Here are some SD9's in the City of Heartland.

36602604161_497f75921e_b.jpg

I was busy herding cats yesterday.

LOL. My brother in law worked for EDS(the people who brought you the Super Bowl commercial about that(also the Running of the Squirrels, plus a few others). He was subcontracted to GM for IT. Thru a series of acquisitions, he changed companies a few times & now works in GM's own IT dept. all while keeping the same office- on one of the upper floors of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit, right on the river, overlooking the Windsor Tunnel.

Well, I was able to salvage the deal on the trailer, in spite of Seagull management's actions. The new owners of the travel trailer are happy, even though it's several thousand dollars lighter in accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back