Running Bear's July 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm...
In the "This isn't good" department, I've learned one of the factories that makes model trains for Bowser, Atlas, Intermountain, Fox Valley, and Trainworx has abruptly gone out of business. There is an announcement on Atlas' website, and I've spoken to a couple friends at two of the other places, and to say things are uncertain at this point is an understatement.

Wonderful :( 2016 Bowser announced Alco RS3s. One of the schemes being Western Maryland in 2 numbers, plus a 3rd number for WMHS members. I ponied up my preorder money back then. And made room on the roster, so now what? 2019? 2020?

Good morning .

Truck Dad Dave .... I would never have expected to find trains on Craig's list . We don't use Craig's List after a bad experience we had.

Wonderful :( 2016 Bowser announced Alco RS3s. One of the schemes being Western Maryland in 2 numbers, plus a 3rd number for WMHS members. I ponied up my preorder money back then. And made room on the roster, so now what? 2019? 2020?

Karl ... Bad new for you. Maybe, with luck , yours are now on a ship headed to a US port.

Terry .... I recall Atlas went through this problem before with their track not long ago. Thanks for info on SP SD35's. I did not recall EMD made SD35's as you said. I remember SDP40's and 45's.

Personally, I'm not concened because I have plenty of trains already ..... I recall Chet has said similar comments.

Willie ... It sounds like your brother should get small locomotives which are just as much fun to operate as big ones. Thanks for the info on SD35's.

Good Morning all,

We disembarked the ship this morning, and are at the hotel for the night. We catch a 6:00 am flight tomorrow back to Chicago.

I’m ready, I miss my trains!

Willie ... It sounds like your brother should get small locomotives which are just as much fun to operate as big ones.
Oh, he has smaller ones as well, like GP7's and GP9's. But he spent a lot of money having someone put decoders into the large ones that he cannot use! Like I posted, he learned a lot from this layout and intends to make use of my knowledge on the next one. His first intent is to expand the building to 17' x 24'. It's actually the second floor of his workshop and he is going to cantilever it out by two feet on all sides. This he has extensive knowledge of and shouldn't pose a problem.

Good morning. 55 degrees to start off the day with another high expected in the mid 70's.

Yesterday my friend and I went to Billing for a car show and took my Sunbeam Tiger. It was such a nice day to enjoy riding with the top down. One guy went nuts over the Tiger and wanted to know if it was for sale. I told him that it was, but unfortunately, his pockets weren't deep enough. Left him my number if he could dig deeper.

Dave
- You scored pretty good on your purchase. Hopefully it will cool down a bit so you can get some work done.

Toot
- Years ago when MRL had just got up and running, you could always see an assortment of locomotives lined up getting ready for rebuilding. One time I saw at least 20 ex Chicago & Northwestern geeps lined up. They did run jsut about anythig they could get their hands on at first. Nice tp see tham finally get new top of the line power running now.

Time to get outside and move some rain birds around before the race at Pocono starts.

Here's a rail picture for today.

train-tracks-574145_960_720.jpg

Later

Truck Dad Dave .... I would never have expected to find trains on Craig's list . We don't use Craig's List after a bad experience we had.
GARRY I have sold stuff on C/L but I always meet at our post office parking lot. When I picked up this lot of train stuff, The fellow was living in a motel!! Had my "tender" waiting in the car a distance away watching til it seemed safe.
And while I'm here, is anyone familiar with IHC locos quality?

PV Dave

GARRY I have sold stuff on C/L but I always meet at our post office parking lot. When I picked up this lot of train stuff, The fellow was living in a motel!! Had my "tender" waiting in the car a distance away watching til it seemed safe.
And while I'm here, is anyone familiar with IHC locos quality?

PV Dave
IHC is generally considered higher-end low budget stuff. The diesels usually have all wheel drive, and most have pickup on both axles. The steam engines are kind of like many others, some okay, some not. For example, their 2-6-0 looks good and runs great, as does their 2-10-2, but I've had gear problems with their 2-8-2 and 4-6-2 engines. They offer an SD35 that is a small step above trainset quality. It has all wheel drive and flywheels, but truck mounted couplers.
Their passenger cars are the old Rivarossi cars from the 1960s and 1970s that have better trucks and paint.

Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is well. Having to do some catch up here on everyone's posts. Started work on the GM50 today. I find Testors Gold enamel is really close. But as it is with paint. It's slow progress. I'll try to send some progress pics later on.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores around the house then puttered around the train room for awhile. There's a thunderstorm in progress here but I'm on a unplugged laptop so I'm fine. MY SIL made it to the rehab facility yesterday and is being evaluated tomorrow, so I should know then when I need to head up to VA. I'm figuring I'll be gone from home about a month with drive time and side trip to OH.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company that makes freight platform kits? I want to redo the ones in the container yard.

I read on a Pennsy site, that the owner of the train business that shut it's doors had been sick and the closing may be related to that. I haven't bought a new loco or RTR car in years so I doubt I will be affected by it.

Karl- What type of fish were you fishing for?

Willie- We all learn from our first layout try. I know I sure did.

TruckDad- Nice looking haul.

I hope everyone has a good night.

After rehashing the first Cat dozer I flat car mounted (had to pinch a replacement deck of another non-TTX one I had bought about 8 years ago) 'cause I wasn't happy with it, I went back to re-fitting the LED's to the P2k Alco PA I also wasn't happy with. The Mars was nice and bright, but the H/light was very dull. Anyone who has seen the way the bulbs were mounted, knows the Mars is forward and right behind the lens and the H/light is back away from it's to provide light to the number boards, via a clear plastic spreader lens, shaped to the nose.

To mount the LED (Atlas) so it would stay in place, I had drilled into the clear plastic to locate it, which destroyed the clear surface. I've begun modifying that plastic piece to hold both LED's forward up against their lenses. Because also, being an LED, the H/light wasn't feeding light to the number boards much anyway, so 2 more were needed, but the Atlas ones are too big to leave anything much left of the plastic lens once drilled through. I want to keep all of this stuff in the same places and mounted the same way, so nothing is attached to the shell.

On one of my ebay browsing visits, I got several SMD's, really tiny little lights, about 1/16th" at the widest. I've drilled 1 hole through the lens and propose to put a drop of glue in behind the SMD as I pull the wires through the hole to fix it in (them, once the other side is drilled too).

What glue would be best to use?

P.S. I did eventually find the CV and value for the single LED to create the LED Mars effect for Tsunami, CV51 = 130. F5 to operate.

Good Morning All. 79° and mostly cloudy. The rain yesterday gave up before getting here, however the rain that has been in the ten-day forecast for today is about fifteen miles away and looks like it will be here before I finish this post. Hope that it amounts to at least .75", as I am tired of watering the parts of the yard that I actually water. If it doesn't rain today, I have to add water to the pool as well as I am losing about 100 gallons a day to evaporation.
Hit another snag on the bathroom remodel yesterday. Apparently the contractor installed the shower faucet upside down and you have to go right for hot instead of left. I don't understand how exactly this works yet! It actually didn't really matter to me or to the wife since we've always had two-faucet systems instead of these single levers, but he's insistent that he needs to fix it. So that means that he has to remove the sheetrock from the wall in the room behind those shower plumbing connections (another bathroom) to access the plumbing, rather than removing a bunch of tile. This is all on his dime so to speak, but it does add an extra half day or so to the job. Then I need to locate the fifteen year old paint that we used in that bathroom for him to repaint the new sheetrock. Counting this, he will have spent about two days at his expense fixing things that he didn't like. He was happy though, that I had wired up all of the outlets and installed the lighting so he was able to see better. Finally completed the shower enclosure tiling with the special order tile that came in last week. Still need the door. OK, anyone contemplating bathroom remodels; new vanities come with only one backsplash, so if it is a corner installation, you have to go and buy another one for the side. That's on today's agenda plus my wife decided that the old toilet just wouldn't do so that's on the list also. It's been in there and operable for a week now and she finally decides.o_O

Out in the train shed yesterday, I began painting the assembled factory that I am working on. While waiting for paint to dry, I added some more field grass clumps to the ROW and along some fencing. Spent some time running trains and repairing a P2K SD45. Somehow the drive shaft separated from the flywheel and the rear truck was no longer powered. There's enough play in the other end of the shaft into the worm geaar connector that it just slid out of the way, and I actually would not have noticed if I hadn't tried to clean the wheels before running (alcohol soaked paper towel on track method). I really like this P2K model (and most others) but it is a royal pain to disassemble, the entire rear truck mechanism is surrounded by the car-length weight which in turn is ensnared with wiring and circuit boards. Press-fitting the shaft end back into the flywheel really required three hands as well. While I had the option, I chose not to CA it back in place at this time.
Wind is now howling and the temperature has dropped to 68° and the rock that I borrowed from Chet is wet.

Garry - A buddy of mine who is not a modeler, buys lots of boxes of trains off Craig's List for his nine year old son. I have shown him how to repair his now extensive collection of Tyco, LifeLike and Model Power cars. I have also made him some "converter cars" with KD couplers on one end and horn-hook on the other since he did buy an Athearn RTR engine to power things. Couldn't understand why the cars wouldn't reliably couple to it. The C/L engines ran badly if at all.
Mike - Continue to have a safe trip.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 55 degrees with an expected high in the mid 80's. Did enjoy the last two days with the temps in the mid 70's.

Mike - Enjoy the parade of clowns while you're sitting in the airport. Sometimes they can be more interesting than Walmartians.

Willie
- I see that the bathroom saga continues. Some day it might be done.

Not much work is needed out in the yard today. No dry spots in the lawn. All that needs to be done is to water the new bushes we planted in front of the house a couple of weeks ago. Got a phone call from one of the club members wanting me to bring some Milwaukee Road equipment to the club on Thursday. Hard to believe that no one has any. I do have the little Alco S-4 switcher that is DCC, but I will bring my SD-9 that is DC and see if it will run. Last week I brought my Northern Pacific F-7 that I have run at the club before but it would hardly get up to speesd. It is equipped with a can motor, but would hardly run much faster than a crawl. Maybe someone familiar with DCC can explain this to me. I had run it before and it performed just fine.

I will also bring my camcorder and try to record a cab ride video. The camera was just a hair too tall to fir through my tunnel portals, but the club has taller portals and they do run double stack container cars. It shuld fit through the tummels.

Maybe I can run some trains today being that all th eyard work is caught up. I do have some more figures to paint also.

Here's a rail picture for today.

panhandle_tracks_bw.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier then futzed around the layout but screwed up the wiring job on the passenger station. I broke a solder on one of the power leads. Unfortunately because of the decking I put on the plaster base I can't take the base off:mad:. I was able to insert two bright LED's from the bottom through a hole that was there already, so I have interior lighting but not exterior. I guess it's better than nothing but still irritates me.

I should have a travel date for our trip to VA later today after my brother gets off from work and talks to the case manager.

Willie- I hope you get finished with your remodel soon.

Chet- Nice rail shot. I like B&W photography.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back