Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
158 Kadees are scale head, the 148 is the standard head. The 148 or 158 would be easier to deal with, because it doesn't have the separate centering spring.

Yes, Justin, I do have both of the Genesis GP9s. One has DCC and the other has sound. I can pull the non-sound decoder out, and return it to analog control, if you still want it.

158 Kadees are scale head, the 148 is the standard head. The 148 or 158 would be easier to deal with, because it doesn't have the separate centering spring.

Yes, Justin, I do have both of the Genesis GP9s. One has DCC and the other has sound. I can pull the non-sound decoder out, and return it to analog control, if you still want it.
I'm interested I just keep forgetting about it. I really like the old GP7 and GP9 locomotives.

Justin

I prefer the standard head Kadee couplers because smaller ones would increase the risk of unwanted uncouplings .

Good afternoon fellow Spike Drivers,
Flo, Francine, Things again seem lively down here at Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner. How about a bowl of Beef Stew and coffee.

46°F Wells Rd. Station Report
5:52 PM PST on December 19, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 42°F
46°F - Feels like 45°F, Partly Cloudy;
Winds are from the NNW at .5 mph with Gusts to 3 mph;
Humidity is only 38%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be Much Cooler than today.

Good morning, guys. 53°, and sunny, a really pleasant day. '

Concerning the Amtrak wreck, It's quite possible that there was a 30mph restricted curve, in 80 MPH territory. Brings up a point about qualification procedures, especially considering this was a "New" route. Compared to the speed restriction violations on the NEC and Metro North, where the speed restricted curves were well known, This was a new and previously untraveled (by Amtrak), route.

OTOH, the media and NTSB carry on entirely too much about PTC. It's a tool, but is not perfect, foolproof, or insurmountable. There may be valid reasons why there was no PTC in effect, possibly, because another Federal Agency hadn't signed off on it yet? The NTSB has a tendency to posture before the media, and make baseless pronouncements, selectively leaking data to support their agenda. The final detailed report comes out at best, a year later, and frequently doesn't support their initial pronouncements.

The railroad involved, was a lightly used line, before the States of Washington and Oregon, spent a ton of money on it. The State Governments, not Amtrak or BNSF own the line. Amtrak is a tenant and designated operator of the State Sponsored services. Amtrak has various versions of PTC equipment on their locomotives and cab cars, and their own system of train control on lines Amtrak owns outright.
It's not Amtrak's responsibility to install / operate PTC here. Main reason for delays in implementing government mandated programs and procedure, are usually related to other governmental agencies and their concerns. That ratty looking bridge over I5,wasn't even painted over, probably so as not to cause delay on I5. If the FRA didn't sign off of that particular installation of PTC, it cannot be placed in service until the FRA approves. Government moves at the speed of government. Everything about this incident, involves someone from government, at several different levels.

In other news, today is gift wrap and contribute to worthy charity day. later, I will continue wiring DC blocks on my layout, a most unpleasant task. :rolleyes:

CSX Stock is recovering from recent lows due to the Illness and Death of CEO Hunter Harrison.

View attachment 64221

Joe: Yah, wireing blocks is a bit of a PIA but as long as you get a good solder joint to the rail, good solder connection to the buss line and good connection to the block switch it's a one time deal for positive control. I use the Atlas controlers with the three on/off switches to handle tree blocks and you can add extra units on to them as needed and each block remain seperate with just the one bus connection to which I solder feeder wires to go to the controler and a screw connection from their. Again from the controller it' a screw connection from the tinned end of the feeders to their connection at the rail and I always leave some extra slack in the feeders in case I need to cut a bit off for a new solder connection at the rail. The Cotrollers are convenient to my thinking although adding facia is going to be a bit of extra work for me but shouldn't be all that bad.

As far as the Amtrack wreck in Washington, it seems I read on the web that the lead loco or train cars derailed on the old bridge prior to the curve and I guess the wrest of the cars followed?

Good Morning Everyone: 41* heading to 69* today - still no clouds to speak of. The forecast shows 20% chance of rain tomorrow.

The fire is slowly coming under control if the wind stays down. Nephew's wife Facebooked last evening that they had fire near both sides of their house, but was able to be stopped! She said that if the wind behaves they may be allowed back in Wed or Thur. That would be a good Christmas for them!

Can't believe that not a single one of you commented on my post late last evening!
Well....so be it!
On my own - again. I'm gonna go fix myself an UMLAUT!

Sherrel: Did you add two black olives for the DOTS?

OK Girls and Guys .... I have been asked by one of the clan as to what they can get me for Christmas!
As most of you know - I am basic starting over with HO. I will need wheel sets, trucks, and couplers. What do I ask for?????
Brand names and numbers, please!

Ok Sherrel: I would have replied last night but I was just too darn tired, hope you can forgive me. As Terry mentioned Kadees' #5 couplers with their separate centering spring are an old standard.

Their #148 Whisker coupler has fine wire centering springs built into the back portion of the mounting shaft. A better choice I think.

They also have #158 Scale couplers with the Whiker centering springs that have a more scale size as well as looking head.
I may have to try some of these myself.

Also their site, https://kadee.com/, offer a very good conversion chart to help you find couplers for cars that require other styles of couplers

Kadee also makes a number of metal Wheel sets to replace the Delrine ones. I think for your Era, if that's in the Mid thirties to 40's or later you'd probably want the following-
Smooth back wheels sets, such as: 33" Freight wheel Diameter Wheelset (smooth back) Tire width of .088 #530 or std Tire width # 520;

For older Freight cars such as those with Truss rods you might like the ribbed backed wheels. 33" Diameter Wheelset (ribbed) .088 Tire Wdth 533 or Std Wdth 523;

Passenger cars and cabooses used 36" wheel diameters and again in their respective #'s per Kadee's chart.

The also have a variety of truck frame styles to choose from depending on the application.
I see that they have truck sets with electrical pickups for Cabooeses and possibly passenger cars?

Hope that helps to answer some questions for you?

Good morning gang
And oh what a glorious morning it is. Settlement on the house is tonight, which also gets someones name off the deed!
And for those keeping score, the big D is scheduled for 2/6/18.
Flo, I'll be single soon, you better be careful!

Karl: Good to see you getting your sense of humor back. Flo, better watch out for Karl!

As it stands right now my layout takes up 6'x 10'. Spot on measurements and a good case for leaving the sacred sheet. The plan I initially shared. I'll share again in this post. It should only take up 8'x 9' and open the door for wider radius curves. As I see it too I'll have the space to play with here. Even if I don't pull the power plant coal mine deal I can do external staging as a place to go. Now bear in mind I'm not using the track plan just the table setup. I have my own ideas that will make this layout feel more C&O instead of fly by my pants modeling like my previous layout.

649b1937cced011dd6b2df8f5f2f4beb.jpg

Justin

Justin: I guess your not going to follow that plan too closely and maybe it's a good thing as it has far too much reach over on the Right side. The two inner sidings should have been connected on the curve or at the beginning of the straight track on the inner Left side to somewhat even up the width of each side it would seem.

Glad to know your going to build a layout you can operate from within, you'll find it a lot more enjoyable. Being that your in 'DC' you ought to look into getting a radio controlled hand throttle also as it so much more convenient to be able to follow your trains around and control the speed or slowing and backing to spot a car and be in a convenient spot to do it.

If your not familiar with what I was referring to as a T nut, it has a threaded center section that you have to drill a hole for. I use 3/8's T nuts which also have three pointed grippers that are tapped into the base of a wooden leg. I use a 2x4 cut length wise to make up two 1 3/4's x 1 1/2 legs and drill a center hole a little larger than the T nut center so I can tap them in with a hammer. Then I use an 1 1/2" long 3/8" carriage bold onto which I screw a Hex nut to secure the adjustment of leveling the tables.

Afternoon All,

Nothing much done today except more Christmas shopping:(.

CA Dave- A friend gave me his father's loco and train related pocket watch because he said I would appreciate them. The loco is all metal and heavy. I believe it is a HO Lionel loco.

View attachment 64224

View attachment 64225

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: I copied the picture of the Loco and lightened it to be able to see it better. I'm not real sure who made it but judging from the printed markings on the Box style head light and cab, which is the same as the old metal 0-4-0T Tea Kettle I had from many years back, Sylvan brought it out so yours might be the same except it an 0-6-0T and a true saddle tank Loco. I did see one like it being sold on eBay some time back but not sure if they said who made it or not?

It's a neat little Loco, if you ever consider parting with it, let me know. How does it run?

Bruce: Good to see you posting again I hope your problems lessen up soon.

> All have a very good night! <

I prefer the standard head Kadee couplers because smaller ones would increase the risk of unwanted uncouplings .

They are definitely more susceptible to height differences caused by dips etc in the trackwork, or between cars. The alternative is the #119-25 SE Shelf "whisker" coupler, which although it doesn't say so on the pack, matches the "scale" head of the #158's (only comes in a 25pr pack, hence the -25). The upper and lower shelfs resist uncoupling on uneven track. They mimic the similar prototype couplers fitted to tank cars.

Gee, paid for another Crane on the 14th from the US, tracking tells me it's already left Sydney yesterday, Tuesday. Wow! The force must be with it. Or Rudolf wants an Aussie Christmas away from the snow. Wonder if he likes Shrimps off the Barbie?

Good morning gang and Happy Hump Day!
Its clear and 45°
Supposed to get blustery, hold onto your hats!

63 and cloudy here with 80% chance of rain.

I just found out my uncle Jim died yesterday.
He had an agressive lung cancer that got into his bones.
He is sorely missed!

You may have missed it earlier, but yes, I still have both of the GP9s.
I attempted to reply back to you. I'd like to buy one off of you. I just keep forgetting. Keep getting caught up in life. What's worse is there have been quite a few C&O GP7s and GP9s for sale on eBay lately. With the holidays here the focus has been on everyone but me. However after Monday it's all fair game! I can't remember what you were offering them for.

Justin

Good Morning All. 50° and foggy again today, headed for a high around 62°. Received 1.25" of rain yesterday, a decent amount finally. That will get that perennial winter rye and wild oats to finally sprout and green things up around here. Probably saved the local winter wheat crops in this part of the world. We might just have all of the Christmas prep done, finally. My extended family of brothers, sisters, offspring, in-laws etc is breaking away from our long standing tradition this year. In the past, as many as 45 people (of which I am the patriarch) gathered at one of my siblings house for a gigantic sit-down dinner. It has become too unwieldy in the past couple of years. Tables and chairs were no problem, they were borrowed from the church. But the clean-up etc was becoming too much as some folks began to age. Never had it at my house because I cannot fit that many people and we're too far out in the boonies. Many of the younger generation wanted to break off and start their own traditions. We'll still gather (38 people this year) for cocktails and a gift exchange on the 23rd but I will miss the grand tradition.
Out in the train shed, I just did odds and ends. Did a little more planning and assembly on the upcoming workbench, couldn't cut any more wood outside because of the rain. Added metal wheels to a few more freight cars that I finally located on the layout, added storefronts/interiors to a couple of structures and added some "field grass" to an already existing scene.
Some talk the last couple of days regarding track planning software. I have had Atlas software for what seems like 20 years now, but found it too time consuming to use. I have also downloaded several others with the same results. I prefer to make a rough sketch of what I want and just start laying track. Generally I have structures already assembled so I can make sure that I leave proper clearance, if not, I do try to use cardboard footprints. I have radius templates made from large sheets of pattern-makers cardboard so I can get them correct as well as a handful of the various size switches that I use...along with boxes of flextrack. It works for me; maybe not for others.

Sherrel - Regarding Christmas wish lists: Ben Franklins are always on the top of my list.
Bruce -
I am 54 and have bad knees and a bad back, I DID mention building with an eye for changes. Some time in the next few decades I'll want to change it and I will be able to.
I remember your layout build thread, you could easily climb on top of that layout!!!
Toot - I installed a number of KD #119's on various tank cars. You're correct in that they resist uncoupling (like the real thing), but they resist even when you want to uncouple! I have had limited success with the Rix uncoupling tool.
Eric - Prayers and remembrances for your Uncle Jim.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 48 and overcast and rainy here in SW MO. Should clear up later. Starting Saturday lows in the teen every night with chance of snow on Sunday. "Holy shades of Montana, Batman!" Too late to close any doors now, Chet.

Responding to some posts from yesterday:
Justin - that's how I lay my track, too - ideas in my head about what I'd like to do, but tempered by the space limits I have. For example, I'd love to have 30-40" curve radii, and it's possible I could do that in at least one place, but I have to do 22" or a combination of 18" and 22" on the same curve in order to stay in the space that the Land Baron (MOH) has allowed. Still I'm able to get in a couple of towns and a half dozen industries, maybe more.
Willie - "70+ industries and 120+ turnouts" - Whoa!! I'd love to have room for that much stuff on the layout. If we ever move, I'm gonna build a dedicated train barn!! As it is I have about 6 industries and 24 TOs.

Making good progress on track ballasting. I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Not getting cocky - it still takes an hour or so to do 12-18 linear inches of ballasting, but it's coming out looking more realistic now. Also doing some long-awaited landscaping. We were out shopping the other day and I was buying something or other for the layout, and MOH looked at me and said "Does it ever end?" I just looked at her and smiled - - - - - -:rolleyes:

I'll be out of the office a lot for the holidays, using up time off days accrued, so I may not get on the forum much until the new year. I'll at least lurk via my iPad, and maybe I'll post once in a while. Got family coming in from East Texas for a few days this weekend, then kids and grandkids coming over for Christmas. Looks like I'll fire up the fireplace this weekend, and probably Christmas day - nights in front of the fire with a hot chocolate - doesn't get better than that!!

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

Good morning. 44°, and cloudy.

Eric: Sorry to learn of your Uncle's passing.

Sherrel: #148 couplers are my standard. buy 'em in the bulk pack. Much easier to work with.

David: The Cascade Trains are by design a unit, if one derails, they all tend to follow. Acela is similar, in that they are semi permanently coupled, but unlike the Talgo, they ride on normal trucks and are not articulated.

The majority of my couplers are sthe larger #5 couplers, but I have been changing out #5's for the 158's because I do like the way they look. Got them in Bulk packs like Joe. Still have a lot of #5's around as I got them in bulk packs also but aren't using them. The whisker couplers are so much easier to install. So far I haven't had any problems at all with them as I am anal about getting the coupler heights dialed in correctly. Even when I had the 97 car train running around my layout using 5 locomotives, ne traoubles. So far as the 158's operating with the #5's, again no problems. I lightly file the face of the couplers to get any possible flash removed and they operate just fine when using magnets. I have some industries in the rear of the layout and don't like reaching over scenery. Toot mentioned dips in the track work. Taking time laying the track, I have no dips, but all of my industrial sidings drop a quarter of an inch from the main line height to ground level. Even with this change in height, I still have no problems.

We did have one incident at the club when a member had a Yellowstone (2-8-8-4} hauling a string of 50 ore cars up the two and a half percent grade and uncoupled at the tender and the ore cars went screaming down the grade and ended up in a heap. After checking the tender it was discovered that the coupler, a #158 was not securely screwed to the tender and there was enough play to cause it to uncouple. After the ore cars were retrieved and set back on the tracks, with the coupler on the tender tightened up, he ran the train for the rest of the night with no incidents.

It is 38 degrees to start the morning off and a winter weather advisory is out for the area. Checking the radar map, there is snow in the area. Tonight we are expected to be i the single digits.

Eric - Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Johnny
- Try to keep the radius on your curves as broad as possible. If you use flex track a lot of adjustment can be made to keep them broad. Most of mine are well over 40 inches, but being that my track is hand laid or flex track, I don't have to pay attention to 18", 22" or any set radius. There is only one place where I ran into trouble and going through a #6 turnout on the main line is the tightest curve I have. No idea what the radius is, but a guess would be about 32". Ballasting track does take a bit of time.I hate it but it does make the track look so much better. I have about 6 to 8 feet of track left to ballast when I ripped track out to make room for industries maybe 10 years ago and still haven't got it done.

Here's a rail picture for the day.

0024.jpg

Later

Good morning ...

Eric .... I'm sad to hear about your Uncle Jim dying. Sincere condolences to you.

Regarding couplers, I feel it is more important to have the proper coupling distance between cars and/or locomotives. I still have several cars and a few engines that need correcting.

I have completed about 95% of teh scenery in a small area under bridges. Now I am ready to install the wood truss bridge. Next, I can lay track connecting to the bridge. Cork roadbed has already been installed with staples. I use staples because it is easy to relocate roadbed when I revise my track arrangement.

This cellphone photo shows the scenery which includes retaining walls and abutments. (The track on the lower level has one outside track getting closer to the middle track where it connects with it with a curved turnout. )

38293635905_57f5152154_k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can and have walked upon my layout. I had a master wood butcher build the thing to my specs with my clumsy assistance. I know It's overbuilt but HEY, no worries about dumping trains on the floor from a slip/trip or stumble. "Things HAPPEN around layouts" was something I learned HERE! It's tap-conned to the floor, when a toe hits a leg the toe WILL loose and the layout does NOT move!

THIS time I am much more aware of what I can and can't DO grade wise and space wise and I'm starting to get the old excitement back as I gain strength as the shingles SLOWLY ride into the sunset and the "vision" takes shape.

Hope all have an excellent day and a VERY CHRISTMAS!

Morning All: 40 degrees and a 40% chance of rain? There is not a cloud in the sky and nothing showing on radar within 300 miles!
Guess we will see what happens; temp is supposed to only be 61 for a high ... that's a 10 degree drop from the past few days.
Thanks to all who commented on the coupler issue - I have lots to relearn.
Willie, Chet, Terry, Anyone? How about wheels? DAVID gave me info on Kadee - I believe. Any others want to comment?

Garry -- Awesome photo!

ERIC - Sorry to hear of Uncle Jim. I remember you mentioned him in the past.

Had to go have blood work yesterday which effectively killed the afternoon, but did stop by Cosco on way back home. Have a full day tomorrow with a Riverside trip for both a sonogram of lower aorta arteries that were repaired a couple years ago and a CT Scan of the heart area where the work was done on that yougee aneurysm behind my heart. Sure hope everything looks good -- I don't want to face any more of that work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back