Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening y'all. 29°, as winter has returned.

BBwells: 4' LED Shop Lights? Are they bulbs that fit into a fluorescent fixture, or are they a whole new installation? Sounds interesting. I have three fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen that are in need of replacement, and I am inclined to go with LED if it's viable.

Sherrel: FWIW, MBK just got in a bunch of various Exact Rail wheel sets (and other goodies). I've been using Intermountain. Buy in bulk.

Garry: I was in the doorway, when I saw the scenery project, forgot to comment. Like. :rolleyes:

David: Talgo trains have been around as long as the early streamline era. They are a Spanish designed lightweight train system, that tends to work well along routes plagued with curves. They were tried here before, during the Ultra Lightweight fad in the Mid '50s, but were not successful where they were tried. With the exception of this incident, they have been pretty reliable in the Pacific North West. As far as I know, no correlation with the truck mounted "Talgo Type" couplers found on early HO equipment produced by Mantua and others including Tyco, Bachmann, Life Like, and some Euro manufacturers.
BTW: what you may be referring to as a "B" unit, on either end behind the locomotive, is a coach with a cowl on the roof to make the transition from a full sized, general service, passenger diesel to the low level articulated trainset. It's mainly for visual esthetics.

Dock_10 copy.jpg

View of the lift bridges at Dock Interlocking, from the inside of the tower. The panel in the foreground control the two lift bridges. Dock tower was closed in November 2017, and located on the East end of Newark, NJ Penn station.

Good evening y'all. 29°, as winter has returned.

BBwells: 4' LED Shop Lights? Are they bulbs that fit into a fluorescent fixture, or are they a whole new installation? Sounds interesting. I have three fluorescent fixtures in my kitchen that are in need of replacement, and I am inclined to go with LED if it's viable.
Exactly. Replacement bulbs but there are different ways to do it depending on the ballast type and bulb selected. Still trying to figure it out.

https://www.earthled.com/blogs/ligh...-t8-and-t12-led-fluorescent-replacement-tubes

Eric - nice to see you making headway. You should have your trains running soon, if you can find them. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got the trains all unpacked and stowed in beer-flats on that shelf unit. The 2 Athearn Genesis engines are still in the respective original boxes. I made sure of that. All the cars I've looked at took the travels just fine.
I'd like to shampoo the carpet under the table before I got crawling around. I already had MRSA during chemo and it almost killed me, I don't need to get it again playing with trains.
E

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

I finally underwent an endoscopy this afternoon to determine why I had that series of GERD attacks ~6 weeks ago. Luckily they didn't find any sign of Barrett tissue or other worrisome anomalies, but they still took 4 biopsies to check for other possible causes. My body must still be recovering from the procedure since I have slight abdominal discomfort and don't seem to be firing on all 8 cylinders.

Haven't done any mrr activity the past few days and probably won't get back to it until after Christmas Day [when the holiday hoopla dies down].

Welcome to the Coffee Shop BBWells, really enjoyed that video about the doorway memory effect - happens to me all the time!:rolleyes:

CSX road slug: thanks. It appears that my posts have to go through a moderator before they show up so I will bow out and just read. Thanks guys for the posts.

CSX road slug: thanks. It appears that my posts have to go through a moderator before they show up so I will bow out and just read. Thanks guys for the posts.

It only takes a few posts to let you post freely to see if you really are one of us. (I'm guesssing)

With 30 posts, you should be out of automatic moderation. There are a couple other factors that might keep you on the mod list, but if you keep posting, eventually you'll get "sprung".

Regarding the 4’ LED shop lights . You should be able to find them on line at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or Menards . They are about the same size as fluorescent shop lights. They have electrical cords with 3 prong plugs for normal household electricity . They hang from chains like regular shop lights.

well that attempt at eating food didn't work.
I'm f...ed. A single piece of garlic bread that I was going to dip in garlic butter.
Didn't work. I couldn't taste or feel any of it.
Would seem reconstruction surgery is in order.
Yeah.... that should only cost about $30,000 dollars. Several operations, lots of therapy.... etc. etc etc.

Greetings !!!...The system was doing that to me as well...It is a bit of an irritant...I believe it will stop soon as it hasn't done it to me since a few missing
posts re-appeared just recently...Our post count is very close...I'm not sure it's an arbitrary number ???...Keep Posting It'll Stop Soon...I Hope...Trig :)

EDIT:...Hey, just a thought but maybe make an 'Introductory Post' at the Top Of The Forum...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've been doing this Christmas Forest thing for many years, but the more "realistic" the trees get the more they prickle like the real things do. My hands are so sore I can hardly type. Guess it is sort of like the death by 1000 duck bites. I've got hamburger hands by a zillion pine needle prickles. On day 2 I tried gloves but when the gloves were two thick could not manipulate the lights/ornaments. When the gloves were thin (like neoprene) the prickles just shreded them too. I also made themistake of putting lotion on them the first night. Wow talk about pain.... I don't think any of my injuries are from the trains, just the trees.
Christmas Forest 2017 - hands.jpg

Good Morning All. Looks like 45° and partly foggy again today. Going up to upper 70's later today with a high of only 46° tomorrow. Maybe rain again tomorrow. Roller coaster weather continues around here. Upper 30's to lower 50's for the foreseeable future. Intense pressure from my grandsons has forced me to name the barn cats that live here, something that I don't normally do. There's Fluffy, Muffy, Puffy, and their two older cousins Gruffy and Scruffy. Actually I had named an older ancestor "Ear and a half" a few months ago for obvious reasons...he actually belongs to a neighbor but has been hanging around here off and on for over five years.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly cleaned things up. Vacuumed a portion of the layout even though it didn't really seem to need it, dusted off a couple dozen cars and ran the shop-vac around the floor to remove the wet leaves that stick to my shoes after a fall rain. No real projects for now since I have to be on "holiday stand-by" for a few days.

Garry - You're making some good progress there.
Bruce -
"Things HAPPEN around layouts"
How very true. While I am not as overbuilt as you (nothing wrong with overbuilding), I have also walked on my lower deck when painting the blue sky walls prior to putting in the upper deck.
Chet - CRS ? Is that like going to retrieve a tool on the other side of the layout and never getting there because you picked up a throttle on the way? Happens here all of the time.
David - I know that you actually asked Curt, but the Walther's stock pens are plastic and no "doggies" are included.
Eris - Looks and sounds like a really productive day.
Ken in MD - Hope that you are feeling better soon.
BBwells - By the way, welcome and don't give up on us yet. I thought that the moderated post period was shorter than you mention, I may be wrong. I have been seeing your posts including the video of the door.
Ken (D&J) - A zillion...that's less than a gazillion.

Hey, everybody have a great day. Merry Christmas to anyone who may not get back for a few days.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning fellers. So I've been doing a little layout planning. I don't know if I can scribble in any track sections or not. Upon a couple suggestions of adding a foot I did one more. Add two feet! Comes out to 8x7. Big enough to do more small enough to be manageable by me as I'm a lone engineer. Tell me what you think. I'll post the original again with the drawing of my adjustments.
dbac0207d2fc088f37257ec6e90d4132.jpg
094f1c569ceb6a73850159d212f2ad27.jpg

Justin

Morning Guys - Err ... No coffee this morning - add a G and we have(no, not the scale,) GRRRR!
Off to see the CT and whatever that other thing is. (CRS strikes again)

Winter has finally come to SoCal. 30 this morning - expect a high of 60 and 29 tonight. BTW - we received ZERO rain from that 40% chance yesterday .... later guys.

Good Morning Everyone:

Finished my "To Do List" and soon down to the trains since yesterday was a wash out and never went down to the train room.

Making a shopping list for me for after X-mas. Need some KD couplers, paint, medicine droppers for scenery work and flat coat paint for adding white paint to create a wash . Also need to buy some spare air brush parts and window cleaner for cleaning the air brushes.

Also, plan to run some NIB locomotives that I had for several years, but never ran. I have the habit of buying several of same locomotive with different engine numbers and keep the extra locos stored in their original boxes.

Sherrel:
It may three of more months before we see another 60 degree high temperature here.

Justin: Your plan looks workable and I like the operating potential and it should be a great plan to just watch trains run. If I were to start over I'll do a similar plan with the left side of the layout against a wall.

That's all for now.

Greg

A quick good morning. Woke up to 10 degrees this morning. We had some really bad road conditions yesterday. The day started off in the mid 30's, but the the temps dropped along with a lot of snow and the roads were all glare ice. Probably the worst I have seen them in the 40 years I have been back in Montana. Got up to a blistering 30 mph in a 70 zone until it dawned on me that it was too fast. Took the day off today. Have another 10 inches of snow to plow to make room for the snow predicted for tomorrow. We will have a white Christmas with the temps forecast into the minus 20 degree area.

Joe - Again I enjoyed you input on the Talgo trains. Nothing like first hand information.

BBwells - You should be free to post as Terry mentioned. By the way, welcome aboard.

Horseman - Looks like the tree won that battle. We don't put up a tree thankfully. We used to go upo into the nation forest right out our front door and cut one down each year. I can remember trudging through snow armpit deepp and trying to drag a tree behind me. Now that we are empty nesters we can do without one.

Willie - You could be right. I can't count how many times I have gone down to the trainroom with all good intentions of getting some work done and just end up running trains.

Justin - The added two feet will make a big difference and allow you to have broader radius curves. I haven't forgopt about those NWSL wheels. I have just been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to get them off. I also have some items for Sherrel and Garry to mail off. All still sitting on my work bench where I haven't had any time to do anything.

Time to bundle up and start plowing snow.

Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back