Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

NOPE - Smallest file of 4MB won't upload. I find NO WAY to reduce the photos to a smaller size. The ratios I posted produce a picture of 4MB, 5.5MB, and 7MB. There are no other "adjustments" on the camera - and nothing in the instructions.
I will attempt to look for a "program" for the computer?

4MB is way too large for posting on this forum. 2MB seems to be the maximum, even though in the "Manage Attachments" window it says 781KB. You gotta shrink the photo resolution either by using some software or by lowering the setting on your camera/phone. Load the damn things into your computer and then use "Paint" or "Microsoft Picture Manager" to resize it. A 4MB picture needs to be resized to about 40% to get it under the 2MB maximum. I came up with the 2MB by experimentation, not by reading it any place in this forum. Use your phone for talking to people!!!:confused:

Willie

4MB is way too large for posting on this forum. 2MB seems to be the maximum, even though in the "Manage Attachments" window it says 781KB. You gotta shrink the photo resolution either by using some software or by lowering the setting on your camera/phone. Load the damn things into your computer and then use "Paint" or "Microsoft Picture Manager" to resize it. A 4MB picture needs to be resized to about 40% to get it under the 2MB maximum. I came up with the 2MB by experimentation, not by reading it any place in this forum. Use your phone for talking to people!!!:confused:

Willie

Willie - Interesting that I never reduced any of the pictures that I posted before BOB made changes to the forum. Many of them were 7MB when I was riding the train? I'll figure something out, or just quit posting anything! P.S. I tried calling you once before, but your wife wouldn't answer the phone ! - LOL

Err Opps! The nose on the flying boat doesn't look like the MARS! That may be it's off-spring (will have to look for my Navy A/C picture book); however, someone short changed them on the prop! You would NOT have 3 and 4 bladed props on the same air-frame .. just wouldn't work!

TERRY - I may take you up on the offer, but have some more pending projects at the moment, but thank you very much.

And Now For Something Completely Different...

This afternoon, I was rummaging through our freezer, and made a concoction for dinner that wasn't too bad. I browned a 1/2 pound of mild Italian sausage, boiled a small bag of 4 cheese tortellini, diced some broccoli, and added a jar of Alfredo sauce to the mix. It came out surprisingly edible.

Of course, my cholesterol level probably just peaked at about 2000, but I'll die happy...:rolleyes:

Evening fellers. No trains today. Just losing at working on my truck. Had spent most of the day trying to figure out the wiring nightmare the previous owner left me. It all ended with my radio not working and a blown fuse. So yeah kinda sorta humbled over all of this. I may build another structure tonight. Still need to replace the couplers on my Atlas U-boat as well.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Good afternoon Rail Photographers,
Hi Francine - Flo, How are you ladies today. Things seem to be somewhat busy here at Jeffreys' Dinner.
If you don't mind I'm going to set up a bit of a photo work shop here today. Oh good, I didn't think it would a problem and Jeffrey loved photography too!

Lets See what WW says:Wells rd Station | Report
3:23 PM PDT on October 14, 2017 (GMT -0700) | Updated a few seconds ago. Wells Rd. is approximately 325 feet higher in elevation than my location and about a half a mile[?] to the North of me.

It's 69°F outside - Feels like 69.4°;
The high was 74°F and the low will be 51°F;
It's Sunny with winds of 1.8 mph from the WNW with Gusts to 2.5 mph;
Today is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as yesterday.

I did a bit of track work on my layout last night on the upper section as it climbs the grade and curves by the elevated switchman's shanty. As I was backing a work train through there a few nights back the old time blind end caboose derailed along with another car which didn't happen before? That area is one of the oldest areas so I was surprised to have any problems with it. So standing in front of the bench I have the drill press on I leaned over and started checking the spacing of the rails with a three point gauge and found they seemed wide. How did tat happen? Then I brought over my low step stool and climbed up on it and what did I see, in an area of about 7" I only had four spikes at two locations on each rail holding it in position. This is on the four rails leading out from the switch to form the main siding and passing siding at the Horseshoe Meadow depot. OMG, When Bull, the track foreman caught wind of my goof I got fired on the spot but then after he cooled down a bit he rehired me as there is no one else to do the work. What a relief! But how could I let it go all those years and not notice it? More spike work ahead. Hey that's what makes it fun!

Willie - Interesting that I never reduced any of the pictures that I posted before BOB made changes to the forum. Many of them were 7MB when I was riding the train? I'll figure something out, or just quit posting anything! P.S. I tried calling you once before, but your wife wouldn't answer the phone ! - LOL

Err Opps! The nose on the flying boat doesn't look like the MARS! That may be it's off-spring (will have to look for my Navy A/C picture book); however, someone short changed them on the prop! You would NOT have 3 and 4 bladed props on the same air-frame .. just wouldn't work!

Sherrel: As far as resizing your images, right in your cell phone, you can down load a free App & it' free to use, from the Google App store called, 'Photo Shop Lite' [if I recall the name correctly?] which I download again on my new phone as it had quite a number of features to it, One of which I believe was a way to resize image sizes.

My suggestion is to photograph your images in as high a resolution a you feel you will need or want for future use. Before you start to do anything with an original image, do a Save-As to create a file name for the image, as an example: Box cab Diesel-Electric 1.Jpg ... by putting [1] after the file name, if you do that consistantly you will always know that is your Original image and not to be touched. If you want to make a back-up of the image just ad a Bk after the [1Bk]. Then before you start to do anything to that image do a Save-As again with a different name of either file and give it a bit different name again and use that image to manipulate as you see fit. If you muck something up you can always delete the image and go back and re-save one of the Original files by a different name and start over which includes resizing or adjusting contrast etc, etc.

Also, I highly suggest getting a, Class 10 SD card to put in your phone and save all your images and other data to it so you free up phone memory to use as it needs to. I just looked at the specs on a Samsung Galaxy 6 and it does not have the ability to put a SD card in it. Did I remember correctly that you said you had the Galaxy S6?

You can also set up a free account at a storage site like, Smug Mug, to host your images as it appears PB found it was getting too expensive to keep buying arrays to hold all the images many were sending in.
Smug Mug will probably have a feature to reduce the image size like PB so they are the size required to post to the various forums. I'll probably wind-up there or one of the other free sites.

Good morning ..

Willie ..... Thanks for posting the photos. I found the photo I posted by Googling, and there are several other photos of the bridge out there. I see you just posted the link to Wikipedia's article which has the photo I copied. You were driving at 70 mph. I noticed the train speed limit is 10 mph. .... If I recall correctly, the bridge was originally on an Illinois Central line that went across Louisiana. That line was sold to a short line called Mid South Railroad. After several years, Kansas City Southern acquired Mid South.

David in CA.... I'm not sure about the items next t the bridge, but Toot's ideas might be correct.

Garry; That's alright, possibly Ray in Aus, is correct but when I enlarged the picture as much as my photo program would allow with fairly good clarity it sure looked liked the white pipe stopped at the ends of the ties as well as being at the height of the ballast. But the picture wa taken from such a high angle with no intent to zoom in on the white apparatus it' hard to tell?

I crossed that bridge back in the 80's when it was still A traffic bridge, was driving a U haul moving my cousin who was in the Air Force at the time. Him nor his wife were comfortable driving a large truck so a 14 day road trip was my duty. It would be an excellent feature to any layout.

Mornings are relatively pain free butt by the afternoon I'm getting the 14 gage wire REDHOT straight through my left chest, scary as hell and if there were other symptoms I'd be thinking I was having a heart attack. I seems to be starting few seconds or minutes later each day so I guess that is progress. Weeping in pain every night by 9 pm is not much in the way of progress but if a later onset is what I got...it's what I'll take. Can't concentrate, move, lift, or be productive in any way, sipping coffee and smoking while my brain slowly slides out through my ear holes, tears of frustration and pain running through my beard is the extent of my daily activities. GET the frikking shingles shot, I don't want any of you feeling like this.

Say Bruce: Good to see you posting again, but sorry to hear your in such pain and discomfort. You've probably done so already but how checking the Natural cures sites to see what they might offer?

Didn't realize that they had the MARS FLYING BOAT in there too! Even see a MIG 15 as well! Been across that older Vicksburg bridge several times - not the new one at all.

Still trying to learn something about this phone. See if I can post a pic?

NOPE - Smallest file of 4MB won't upload. I find NO WAY to reduce the photos to a smaller size. The ratios I posted produce a picture of 4MB, 5.5MB, and 7MB. There are no other "adjustments" on the camera - and nothing in the instructions.
I will attempt to look for a "program" for the computer?

Sherrel: Is the Flying a PBM or a PBY? My Father was stationed at Pensacola and taught Aviation Maintenance there and had a grew of men working under him to repair the planes and then everyone was required to go in the test flight afterwards and they used to fly over the Bermuda Triangle in the process. Dad knew how to fly and was going to get his commercial license but never did for some reason.

The lower section kind of referes back to my the first post to you.

Sherrel: It's amazing what they have in there. NAS Pensacola has one awesome museum. Can't help you with posting photos from the phone, I'm having my own issues with posting photos into this forum.

Say Joe: Maybe some of the info I posted might be of help to you?

Afternoon All,

Finished the project today including the ground cover around the structure. Going to watch some college ball in a bit.

View attachment 63436

View attachment 63437

View attachment 63438

View attachment 63439

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Curt: Your engine house looks real nice, adding the interior details sure makes a difference, and the welder ads life to it! When I mentioned the roof to you in a prior post I was thinking you were going to put a Ridge Roof on engine house with sky lights in it like my old Revell engine house as well as the John Allen Engine house which also has interior details as well as the old shafts that were used to drive the lath and drill press via leather belts.

I hope all have a good nite.

Last edited by a moderator:
DAVTD - thanks for your information. I will do as you have suggested, however, I will not use an offsite storage facility.\ as I do not wish for another PB fiasco to crop up in the future. I am going to go back and re-read Willie's statement and see if I can locate whaat he is suggesting.

TERRY - Sounds as if you have beeen busy in the kitchen. I lucked out last night and again tonight. Spousal Unit is with the Women's Club on a cruise from Lauterdale for a week. They are on one of those "monster ships" - I believe it's the Harmony of the Seas? - anyway: carries 6000 pass + crew of 2500?
OK, yesterday, Youngest daughter brought me chicken legs, breaded steak, and meat loaf. I WENT TO gson's football game last night (tag football) and they actually won a game AND he scored a touchdown off an interception. This afternoon the doorbell rang and cousins from up the hill a little brought over a great salad, pulled pork sandwiches and chock let brownies. Too coin a southern phrase - I am in hog heaven. Rest of week will suck as they all have to work, bummer - I will be on my own!

Cubs are ahead 2-0 top of the fifth ... life is good!

DAVID - You are on the money!
The PB2Y Coronado is a large flying boat patrol bomber designed by Consolidated Aircraft. As of 2005, one surviving example of the Coronado remains at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.

Well I'm officially tapped on space. I reckon my town is complete building wise.
c18007fdec490b1c74009b7732c34175.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

The PB2Y Coronado is a large flying boat patrol bomber designed by Consolidated Aircraft. As of 2005, one surviving example of the Coronado remains at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.

I thought the PBY series was called the Catalina.
I built several of them as models when I was a kid.

Late evening all.

DAVTD - thanks for your information. I will do as you have suggested, however, I will not use an offsite storage facility.\ as I do not wish for another PB fiasco to crop up in the future. I am going to go back and re-read Willie's statement and see if I can locate whaat he is suggesting.

Sherrel: Glad you found the info useful, I started doing something like that when I was downloading images into my computer from memory cards the camera took but seemed to get away from doing it with the cell phone and need to start doing it my self with the new cell phone and images I shoot with it.

I understand what your saying about the fiasco with PB. It was very easy to get used to just allowing our images to get hosted on there site rather than being concerned about keeping our own back-up library which isn't all that difficult as it's just a matter of saving the phone's images to a re-writeable CD or DVD. That way we can shoot at a larger image size to save for later use if we so choose as well as saving the reduced image size as well. I'm not sure what the easiest method is to transfer images from the phone to the CD's but possibly by means of using Blue Tooth to go from the phones to the computer and onto the CD/DVD?

I still think I going to try using Smug Mug after doing some checking, as it is very convenient to automatically have your images transferred from the phone and resized in the same process so they're link is readily available to post on the forum here.

Sherrel: I wasn't completely sure but thought the Flying Boat might be a PB2Y. Dad said they used to carry depth charges to drop if they spotted a foreign sub but I don't recall him saying they ever dropped any. It's interesting that that's the only one of that type of aircraft left around. Good that it's preserved there in Penacola,

Sherrel: I didn't notice the two different style of props until you mentioned it. A little bit of an oddity alright! With all the talk about the Bermuda Triangle causing navigation systems to get screwed up, Dad said he never had any problem that way. He just said that the sky in that area had some of the most beautiful colors to it as well as that the ocean which was about 100? ft deep but crystal clear appeared to only be about 15 to 20 feet deep.

Good night all

David, That box on the Vicksburg Bridge has been nagging at me (I needed something else nagging me to keep my balance), I went to the Wikipedia page and was able to do a double enlargement of the picture and I could see that that tube did indeed penetrate the ballast beneath the rails. (the reason for the apparent taper at it's end). The shadows were of other cables on the ground, also leading to the rails. looking at images for detector boxes, there are many and varied types, some doing multiple checks, even brake lining wear. The detectors themselves are either attached to the rail sides or the ties, both inside and out. Hereis one of similar design that does wheel checking.

Railway-defect-detectors.jpg

Here's an interesting one, a hot bearing detector with dragging equipment unit, note the two angled upward flaps that would be hit if anything was low

HBD_DD1.jpg

Others of us might be more familiar with this one though

images

Good morning. It's foggy and 58.
Friday the 13th was not a good day where I was. Work started with a traffic tie-up that made me seriously late for work, went through several botched issues with customers, and ended with a reaming from the owner before heading home, again delayed by traffic problems,
After I got home, I managed to throw my iPad down the basement stairs onto the concrete floor, with predictable results. That was a $550 "oops", though a computer store owner friend gave me $50 for the broken carcass. I'm trying to decide now if I should keep the new replacement, or find a used, older model, and return the new one. A several-years-old model in working order is still over $200.
Fall has finally arrived, after July temps here, we are finally in "average normal" temps--at east for a couple of days. 15 day forecast shows it will be in the low 30s for lows before the end of the month. My reprieve for fuel oil consumption looks to be coming to an end soon.

In other news, it looks like CSX's CEO has managed to at best, alienate many of his company's customers, and stated for the record he isn't finished yet. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...g-bottlenecks-as-ceo-apologizes-idUSKBN1CG1BW

Good Morning All. It is now 60° and cloudy. Four hours ago it was 80°. This might just be called a major cool front! It was up to 93° both of the last two days and not expected to get back up above 70° later today. Had some very light showers between 0300 and 0430, had to close the windows. Not enough rain to even justify looking in the gauge. Last decent rain here was August 24. Speaking of Friday the 13th, I found a calculator on the net that informed me that I have survived 114-Friday the 13th's since being born.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ebsite&utm_source=fark&utm_term=.1ddbdb18da25
Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished up a couple of projects that were in the way on the workbench, took pictures but left the camera out there. Finished a scratchbuilt swing set that I previously posted about, and finished a grain truck that's actually been in the queue for a couple of years. Sometimes things get set aside and forgotten!!!

Bruce - If you haven't already done so, it might be a good idea to see a doctor regarding those chest pains. I know that you're not a big fan of the medical profession (I'm not either), but this has been too long for them to still be associated with shingles.
Garry - I've been on the Memphis bridge over the Mississippi as well as the new one in Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Each one of them is quite impressive. It is a big river!
Curt - That engine house looks like it's been there forever'
Sherrel - Can't comment on the photo size of previously posted pictures, as I have always reduced mine as a matter of convenience to fellow members who might still be on dial-up. I keep the originals in their original size and do as David does and I do a "Save As" to any and all altered ones. Interesting observation regarding the propellers on that plane, I might never have noticed.
I believe that Microsoft includes "Paint" with all versions of Windows. "Picture Manager" is a part of Microsoft Office and seems to be an upgrade to both "Paint" and "Photo Viewer", which is also part of Windows.
Terry - How bad a supper could it be with Italian Sausage, cheese and Alfredo sauce? Prime ingredients for any meal. Gotta add some extra Parmesan cheese to it though.
Of course, my cholesterol level probably just peaked at about 2000, but I'll die happy...:rolleyes:
Remember that we're all dying from the day we were born! Best to die happy!
I have also kept up with HH's adventures with CSX. I have read some less than flattering articles in a very recent issue of Trains magazine. One of the very rare instances where they weren't drooling over a RR exec.

During our vacation trip, we revisited the Foley Railroad Museum in Foley, AL. On previous trips it was raining so I didn't get an opportunity to take pictures of the equipment outside. This time was different so here they are.
IMG_0554.004.JPGIMG_0558.004.jpg
IMG_0559.004.jpgIMG_0560.004.jpg
Looks like I didn't get the composition just right on that Frisco boxcar, maybe next time.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning, 65° and cloudy.

Terry: Don't know what to say.

Eric: The PBY Catalina was a two engine aircraft, the one pictured in the museum was a four engine flying boat.

Justin: Downtown is nice, looks appropriate for a Appalachian "Patch". Well done.

Curt: Likewise, well done.

Devils won last night, the Caps were embarrassed by Philly. Meanwhile, dem Bums put some manners on da Cubbies, and the Yankees lost. I did get down to the train room, replaced the Baldwin with an Alco ARS18, and ran the drill for about an hour, with the help of my cat.

Good morning ....

Terry .... That was a very bad Friday the 13th for you.Sorry too hereabout it. ... You get in traffic jams a lot evidently. I'm glad we retired in a place that does not have heavy traffic.

Terry and Willie... Regarding CSX. Joe and I were talking about it last week. ..... Note to self. "Self, what are you waiting for? Call the broker Monday. Sell your shares of CSX stock before it is too late." .. Dang the hedge fund and H Harrison.

Willie ... It is nice to see the old L&N equipment and the Frisco boxcar are preserved.

I made some progress with my corner project. I finally made all the modifications to the benchwork yesterday. I'm ready to install the old wood truss bridge and lay some track. I am looking through some old buildings and structures I kept in storage since my previous layout of many years ago. Some of them need repairs, and I will do that.

Back