Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Morning All: Had my coffee to start with ... now have a large cup of hot tea. Costco sells their brand of diet green tea w/citrus. I take a cup of water, a spoon of Lipton instant tea, and a cup of the green tea all mixed up in a large cup and thrown in the nueker for a minute - makes a good refreshing drink either hot or cold.
OK ... I was mistaken! Oh the Pain! The PB2Y did have both 3 and 4 bladed props as displayed! So far, I have not discovered why. It seems to me that it would have been very hard to synchronize the props and that there would have been unnecessary vibration throughout the airframe?

ERIC - I have never understood the way that the Navy chose their airplane designations. The Catalina was a PBY - The Coronado was a PB2Y???
Then there was a PBY-1, PBY-2, all the way to PBY-6 ... some 4000+ were built and only a couple survive today.

My Cubs lost last evening. Within half a dozen pitches by the pitching change, I knew they were in trouble. I don't understand why a manager will leave a pitcher in there when it is shown that he is "off his mark". The closer for the Dodgers was in awesome form.

Justin - Yor town looks very nice!

Terry - Sorry to hear of the iPad's demise! How did the "sprung" door on the truck turn out?

Good morning. Started the day out at 40 degrees with an expected high near 60.

A lot to catch up with. Saw a lot of posts yesterday on taptalk.

Willie - Enjoyed the photos from the museum. I really enjoyed my visit there. I think the only place that can top that is the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. Took a few days to visit that. At least the photo of the bridge was taken from the passenger seat. Quite a few sea planes at the museum. Years ago when we were still living in Florida I was doing a lot of flying and met a guy who restored a PBY and got to take a ride in it. Sure liked the view from the side blisters. I even got to take the controls for a few minutes. You really had to work to fly one of those.

Curt - Love the engine house. All I can say is outstanding work.

Bruce - Sorry to hear that the shingles are still with you. Hope you get over them soon.

Eric - You must have really enjoyed the call from your friend in Georgia. Hope you can get back soon.

Justin
- The town is growing. Nice work.

Terry -
The 13th sure wasn't a good day for you. Should have stayed in bed.

Yesterday was a busy day. Worked out in the shop and covered up all of the cars that will not be used during the winter months. We have bought my wifes cars used and it did not come with a key fob for unlocking the doors. She had checked with the Ford dealer and they wanted $150 for the key fob and programming it. I checked the VIN number of the car and apparently it originally came with one that we didn't get when we bought it. Got 2 of them on Amazon for ten bucks and it took about 2 minutes to program them.

I did manage to just about go blind drilling the holes for the hand rails on the F-3.

20171015_110525.jpg

I was a bit disappointed because some of the rails were bowed a bit and I know that I was dead on drilling the holes. Still have to drill holes for some grab irons and MU hoes. I also did manage to get over to Livingston to the club last night. Another busy night with lots of trains running and a lot of meets. Avoided a number of head ons also. took a couple of photos but can't upload them. All taken with the new phone. Still don't know what's going on with posting photos.

The race at Talledega is coming on shortly.

Later

Afternoon All,

Did some chores, ran to Aldi and did some research into painting of roofs for Pennsy Industrial buildings (not a lot of available info).

CA Dave- Thank you.

Willie- Thank you. The food and game sound nice. I like the 1:1 photos.

Justin- Nice looking town.

Garry/Joe- Thank you.

Terry- It sounds like a miserable Friday.

Chet- Thank you. Great work on the F3 shell. The handrails are a real pain to do.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here is another attempt to figure out what is wrong

Frisco FA.jpg

Second Pic
truck04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK ... I was mistaken! Oh the Pain! The PB2Y did have both 3 and 4 bladed props as displayed! So far, I have not discovered why. It seems to me that it would have been very hard to synchronize the props and that there would have been unnecessary vibration throughout the airframe?

I'm an ignoramus as far as aircraft operation is concerned, but maybe in normal flight only 1 pair of engines was used and the other pair only at takeoff?

I'm an ignoramus as far as aircraft operation is concerned, but maybe in normal flight only 1 pair of engines was used and the other pair only at takeoff?

Not sure about flight, but most aircraft can successfully use one engine to reach the crash site.

Reasonable thinking, TOOT! Any multi-engine a/c can safely fly on 1/2 their engines (exception was the DC-10, B-727, and the L-1011 which could stay airborne on the center only engine). We used to practice these single engine approaches during 6 month PC and annual Recurrent Training. Once the a/c was on final approach and the gear was lowered- you were committed to land- there was no ability to go around from that point ... as TERRY said: You flew it to the crash site!

In getting back to your original statement ... I sort of doubt that the training was such during the war for technicians to deveelope procedures such as this. If I remember correctly - The AF and the Navy did shut down at least one engine (maybe more) on their extended long range recon flights where they were loitering about.

Reasonable thinking, TOOT! Any multi-engine a/c can safely fly on 1/2 their engines (exception was the DC-10, B-727, and the L-1011 which could stay airborne on the center only engine). We used to practice these single engine approaches during 6 month PC and annual Recurrent Training. Once the a/c was on final approach and the gear was lowered- you were committed to land- there was no ability to go around from that point ... as TERRY said: You flew it to the crash site!

In getting back to your original statement ... I sort of doubt that the training was such during the war for technicians to deveelope procedures such as this. If I remember correctly - The AF and the Navy did shut down at least one engine (maybe more) on their extended long range recon flights where they were loitering about.
One of those little-known factoids, if you shut down an engine, the air flowing over the prop could rotate the engine if you didn't feather (change the angle to directly into the wind) the propeller. In some cases, it could rotate the engine faster than it would normally turn when operating.

One of those little-known factoids, if you shut down an engine, the air flowing over the prop could rotate the engine if you didn't feather (change the angle to directly into the wind) the propeller. In some cases, it could rotate the engine faster than it would normally turn when operating.

Somewhere in the landscape of Montana there is an engine from a 1649a Connie which did exactly that! It was a London - LAX flight which had a runaway prop due to loss of oil pressure. The engine eventually seized and tore its-self from the wing.

Good evening Photo Takers and Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo - Francine, So what's going on down here at Jeffreys' Dinner? Flo, how about some Coffee and a nice size bowl of Chilli beans with Beef and Onions topped with some Jack & Colby Cheese. That sounds good to me tonight.

Per Wunderground Weather:

76°F Feels like 75.6°;
It's Sunny with a slight breeze from of 0.2 mph, from the ENE with Gusts of 2.5 mph possible;
The high today was 77°F with a low tonight of 52°;
Tomorrow is forecast to be Warmer than today.

Morning All: Had my coffee to start with ... now have a large cup of hot tea. Costco sells their brand of diet green tea w/citrus. I take a cup of water, a spoon of Lipton instant tea, and a cup of the green tea all mixed up in a large cup and thrown in the nueker for a minute - makes a good refreshing drink either hot or cold.

Sherrel: To admit you made a mistake takes some real Kahonies alright! Thumbs-Up to you!
It's interesting to know they actually ran two different style of props at the same time. I also would think there would be a different resonance produced from each engine due to the different load of turning the prop. I was going to make a joke that the difference allowed them to bank one way or the other easier during a patrol in order to circle a target to deliver a depth charge. Maybe there's some validity to it? LoL

Here's an interesting one, a hot bearing detector with dragging equipment unit, note the two angled upward flaps that would be hit if anything was low

HBD_DD1.jpg

Others of us might be more familiar with this one though

images

Ray: Excellent picture showing the wheel truck frame detectors. Interesting track detail too.

The joke is very funny too! LoL

Speaking of Friday the 13th, I found a calculator on the net that informed me that I have survived 114-Friday the 13th's since being born.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ebsite&utm_source=fark&utm_term=.1ddbdb18da25

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished up a couple of projects that were in the way on the workbench, took pictures but left the camera out there. Finished a scratchbuilt swing set that I previously posted about, and finished a grain truck that's actually been in the queue for a couple of years. Sometimes things get set aside and forgotten!!!

Sherrel - Can't comment on the photo size of previously posted pictures, as I have always reduced mine as a matter of convenience to fellow members who might still be on dial-up. I keep the originals in their original size and do as David does and I do a "Save As" to any and all altered ones.

Interesting observation regarding the propellers on that plane, I might never have noticed.

I believe that Microsoft includes "Paint" with all versions of Windows. "Picture Manager" is a part of Microsoft Office and seems to be an upgrade to both "Paint" and "Photo Viewer", which is also part of Windows.

Terry - How bad a supper could it be with Italian Sausage, cheese and Alfredo sauce? Prime ingredients for any meal. Gotta add some extra Parmesan cheese to it though.

Remember that we're all dying from the day we were born! Best to die happy!
I have also kept up with HH's adventures with CSX. I have read some less than flattering articles in a very recent issue of Trains magazine. One of the very rare instances where they weren't drooling over a RR exec.

During our vacation trip, we revisited the Foley Railroad Museum in Foley, AL. On previous trips it was raining so I didn't get an opportunity to take pictures of the equipment outside. This time was different so here they are.
View attachment 63443View attachment 63444
View attachment 63445View attachment 63446
Looks like I didn't get the composition just right on that Frisco boxcar, maybe next time.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie: I'm not sure if you knew or not, but that was how Jeffrey labeled many of his cars and Loco', 'L&N' so your pictures are a fitting tribute to him! Nice shots too.

Willie, and others; A good practice to get into, especially now being able to capture our images digitally is to take two or three shots or more of any image you want to be sure to get a good shot of. Later when going through them you can delete the unwanted ones to free up camera memory or your SD card etc. Caring an extra SD card or a USB memory stick to upload the images on to is relatively inexpensive and ensures you'll have a enough space to capture a good image to work with. Sorting through them afterwards though can be a pain!

David, That box on the Vicksburg Bridge has been nagging at me (I needed something else nagging me to keep my balance), I went to the Wikipedia page and was able to do a double enlargement of the picture and I could see that that tube did indeed penetrate the ballast beneath the rails. (the reason for the apparent taper at it's end). The shadows were of other cables on the ground, also leading to the rails. looking at images for detector boxes, there are many and varied types, some doing multiple checks, even brake lining wear. The detectors themselves are either attached to the rail sides or the ties, both inside and out. Here is one of similar design that does wheel checking.

Railway-defect-detectors.jpg

Ray: It's interesting that you checked, thanks for letting me know I was correct about my assumption. My photo program didn't allow for that much enlargement without the picture becoming very pixellated and of course then indiscernible.

The rail picture is great with lots of detail.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Start my Coke job today. Hope it turns out well. At least better than my Pepsi gig did. Didn't touch the layout yesterday. I need to prep my sidewalks and on the street parking. Perhaps I can get something going this week with it. I doubt I'll get around to it until this weekend. I suppose I'll play this one by ear. Anyways I need to load up my tools. I'll touch base with y'all later on today.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Justin, good luck at the new gig.

It's raining and 65.
Last night, for the first time in a long time (months), I was asleep, when a car blasting by the house at high speed woke me up. About 30 seconds later, I heard the sound of a garbage truck emptying a dumpster. About 10 minutes later, a police cruiser headed that way. I expect to see a bunch of car parts laying scattered over the area at the bottom of the hill where the road makes an abrupt 90 degree right turn when I go by there this morning.

Only one thing missingfrom those sound effects Terry. The old, on the radio, police/crime serials they had when I was a kid. A long skidding, screeching of tires with an AAaaargh! at the end, then the dumpster sound. It was always the same sound too.

Good Morning All. 47° (Brrrh!) and clear this fine morning. While the high temperature yesterday was 79°, that was at midnight and it never got above 72° the rest of the day. About the same today and tomorrow and then back into the 80's on Wednesday. Spent some time yesterday afternoon mowing some of the yard. It seems that weeds grow even without rain. Spotted another opossum in the yard early yesterday and I set the trap last night; all I caught was a cat, a stupid cat!
I didn't spend much time out in the train shed yesterday, instead I caught up with stuff that I didn't do while on vacation. What time I did spend was just continuing to tinker around at the workbench clearing up some almost completed details. Since a lot of it involved painting, I also had the stash of unpainted (and partially painted) figures on standby to receive some of the colors that I opened. Actually made a lot of progress that isn't too noticeable.

Garry - I like the fact that they are preserving the old equipment at the Foley museum. Although I am not sure that the freight cars are entirely accurate. Note the lack of any weight or capacity data etc. The only photos that I can find on the Internet are of these cars themselves, nothing prototype. The engine is a different story, it is an accurate restoration. Here's a link to it's background.
http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/heavy/l&n13.htm
Sherrel - Since you pointed out the 3 and 4 blade props on that plane, I did some research. There's two differing opinions on the reason. One is that there was a shortage of "reversible pitch propellers" (4 blade), so only two were used on each plane. Apparently this is what the tour guides say if you go on the museums guided tour; I did not. Another reason given by a late mechanic was that the 4 blade props, which are noticeably smaller even in my picture, provided more clearance to the fuselage. Apparently this was an issue with the salt-water spray on the fuselage during take-off and landing. Take your pick.
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0039a.shtml
In another thread here, you post about misplacing stuff for the layout, now you admit that you lose airplane engines as well!!!:confused:
David - You're so correct regarding digital photography. I take dozens, well probably hundreds of pictures and retain maybe only 30%. Of course many end up in the recycle bin because I'm not the steadiest photographer and I forget to set the camera on the "sporting" setting.
Terry - I do remember previous posts from you describing the corner down the street. Been a while though.

How about a couple more pictures from the Foley Railroad Museum.
IMG_0525.005.jpgIMG_0527.005.jpg

Still too early for the sun here. Only three more weeks of Daylight Savings.
Today is a big day for me. I am going to attempt to sign up for Sociable Security. Been retired two and a half years now, I guess that it is time to cash in before I have to hit the retirement account. Interesting thing is that between my wife and me, we will net more $ than our average budget for the last ten years.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning Everybody.

Lots of great pictures and post, but you must forgive me I have little to no time to reply.

Have a great day Everybody.

God Bless us Everyone.

I'm probably RONG but it seems to me they did change the props on PBY's from three blades to four, early models had three and they went to four on later models it's a museum piece so it shows both. I seriously doubt any aircraft ever had props with different amounts of blades on several propellers at the same time but I am probably RONG about that too. LOL

In my alcoholism I was afraid to try the medicinal aspects of alcohol because of "my problem" with it. Three beers and I actually RELAXED enough to get some sleep last night, forgot what THAT was like. Felt so good this morning I thought I'd check in. My doom and gloom posts I apologize for most vehemently, it was not fair to spread my misery.

My Carpenter bro has a daughter who just got married and her Husband is into trains. He's heard about this monster of a messed up thing I got and hopefully some fresh eyes will give me some fresh ideas. Sitting here for the last few months wondering if I'll ever get back to the layout again. Hopefully I will be feeling good enough to at least clean it and runs some stuff in a while before the next teardown rebuild I have planned. Hope all is well wherever y'all may be.

Good morning everyone. It's dark and foggy out - - sounds like the start of a dime-store novel, huh? 38 (Brrrrr) here in SW MO, will hit 64 for a high today; back into the 70's for the rest of the week, though. Summer and fall are having a knock-down dragout!

Justin - I like the photos of your town - it's looking good
Toot - love that cartoon. I sometimes sneak bags or boxes into the house so MOH doesn't know just how much I'm spending on this hobby!!
Willie - great photos from your trip

Here are a couple of photos of that latest kit I built. In the first photo, it's the building on the left, with the bikes and the Indian Chief in front of it. The town is mostly placeholders 'cause I haven't decided exactly where things will be going. The shiny "road" is also a placeholder for now - I haven't put the road or the sidewalk in yet.

New building 10-15-17.jpgNew building2 10-15-17.jpg

I now face the problem of whenever I go to the train room I don't know which project to work on - wiring 9 turnouts for remote control, re-doing two of the tracks in the freight yard, landscaping the hill in back of the town, building another mountain in the new area, working on the farm near the lake, pouring the liquid in the lake and stream, working on the new kit build - - or just running trains for an hour!!

Have a good day everyone.

Johnny, I still do it if I can get to the mailbox or parcel delivery unnoticed first, a quick slip under the Garage door is the preffered method.

Good morning .

Justin .... Best wishes with your new job.

Johnny .... Your latest building looks good along with the other buildings.

Willie .... The Foley, AL museum looks interesting ... I was at the Heart of Dixie RR Museum a few years ago. It is in Catera, AL south of Birmingham, and also has an interesting collection of old RR equipment.

Bruce New Guy .... Hopefully you can get back to working on the layout soon.

Back