Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

So .... earlier this morning the little dog "Charlie" (lower part of photo) was barking like crazy. I looked out to see what he was upset about and found this! It touched down in the intersection on the Northeast corner of my yard. See a lot of them very frequently - just not normally this closeup.
baloon.jpg

Afternoon All,

Spent a couple of hours working on the kit today. I gave the wood walls, trim boards and wood details 3 coats of A&I and then sprayed the undercoat on the plastic windows and door.

I bought a CMX cleaning car several years ago. I run it on the main pushed by 2 Genesis GP7's. I have found though it is much quicker to clean sidings running the cleaning car by "hand".

It looks like the boys are spending the night tomorrow since both Mom and Dad are working until 11 PM.
Toot- Great video. I really liked the 4 bridge section. The hump yard was cool.

Willie & Johnny- Stay safe in your weather.

Garry- Wasn't that the way the older hump yards actually worked?

Chet- Wow, still getting snow. I'll trade some heat for some coolness.

I hope everyone has a good night.

So .... earlier this morning the little dog "Charlie" (lower part of photo) was barking like crazy. I looked out to see what he was upset about and found this! It touched down in the intersection on the Northeast corner of my yard. See a lot of them very frequently - just not normally this closeup.
View attachment 61684

We had a balloon land about a half mile down the road, in a narrow access strip of park between the houses. Never found out what the emergency was and it was flown out again a while later. They sure are big when up close. That set off every dog in the place.

We had a balloon land about a half mile down the road, in a narrow access strip of park between the houses. Never found out what the emergency was and it was flown out again a while later. They sure are big when up close. That set off every dog in the place.

Sets off the dogs just like UFOs set off humans. Both events are scary.

Good morning. 36 degrees and heavy overcast. The snow has stopped. Hard to know exactly how much fell as the temps never got below freezing and a lot melted as it hit the ground. The trees all came through without any damage. Here's a photo I took around 6 PM last night. It was still coming down pretty good when we called it a night at 9 PM.

View attachment 61681 82 last Friday when I was grilling for the grand kids.

Terry - I only have one Imex structure, the Woolworth's store. It was too deep for the city block so I had to run it through the table saw to get it to fit into the layout. Not the best, but very usable. Perfect fit for the transition era.

View attachment 61682

Gotta run, Later.

Chet you had snow and we had 90+ temperatures, It surely is a big country!

I hope you kept the lunch counter!
3028867862_d616672511.jpg

Good morning ...... We were in nashville yesterday rising my wife's family.

Garry Glad you ahd a safe trip and I hope the wife's family is doing well, I would love to visit Nashville.

Don't ask me why because I have no clue, but that reminds me of your town's (I think) Ham festival, when is that? That is my kind of festival!

View attachment 61684

Sherrel I think they were coming to take you away!

Afternoon All,

Spent a couple of hours working on the kit today. I gave the wood walls, trim boards and wood details 3 coats of A&I and then sprayed the undercoat on the plastic windows and door.

It looks like the boys are spending the night tomorrow since both Mom and Dad are working until 11 PM.

Curt you are an industrious soul, I hope to see the pictures.

Have fun with the boys.

Tell Phil I said hello if you talk to him.

Dun'no if you've just caught me doing a couple of experiments involving the posting of Y-tube videos. When using Win7, it was possible to either post a link only by copying and pasting the full URL from the address bar, so viewers would then be taken via that to Y-tube, i.e. not embedded on the forum post. To embed a video it was necessary to use the "Go Advanced" field option which had a YouTube Icon in the expanded bar at the top. Also you only copied and pasted the part of the URL between the = if there was a = at each end of that part, or the bit after the = if there was only one.

Since changing to Win10 there seems to be only the Embed option and all that requires is to copy and paste the whole URL into the Quick Reply box field. Anyone know if there is a way to just post the link without embedding with Win10?

Here's a Bulgarian ride through the very picturesque Iskar gorge, once again by Tim, a very, very well travelled individual. A long one again I'm sorry, the gorge starts at about 18 minutes in and extends to 40+. As I've said, best to view these on YouTube itself so you can return to them where you left off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjYktbZiB0

Good evening, Everybody !

View attachment 61684

I recall when we lived near Detroit, a hot air ballon slowly drifted overhead. It was low enough so we could see the people onboard and briefly talk with them.

Garry Glad you ahd a safe trip and I hope the wife's family is doing well, I would love to visit Nashville.

Don't ask me why because I have no clue, but that reminds me of your town's (I think) Ham festival, when is that? That is my kind of festival!

Louis ... The Ham Festival is in October. Country ham and lots of other stuff too. .... You might be interested also in the 400 Mile Yard Sale which is the first weekend of June each year. http://www.400mile.com ..... It is on US 68 which is the highway near our home. ... Nashville is a contrast to Detroit where we have previously lived. Nashville is a thriving, growing city unlike many of the northern cities. Downtown has an active night life with plenty of Country & Western music. ... If you can travel on a vacation some day, you should check it out. There are many railroad related attractions in the region too.

Toot..... Your latest video about Bulgarian steam looks like it will be interesting to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy 80th Birthday to "the human vacuum cleaner", Brooks Robinson, the greatest 3rd basemen ever!
Brooks had so many great plays that created so many great memories, but his pinch-hit HR in 1977 to win the game was my favorite. “the kid had 1 more home run in his bat” Brooks was the best clutch hitter I ever saw, even at 40 years old. Off the field, he was just as great. I worked as a doorman for the old hit and run club in Memorial Stadium in 1980. Brooks was a broadcaster and he would come in the main gate, right in front of my station at the hit and run club. The kids were waiting there to get autographs. When Brooks was running late he would always tell them “I will be back” he never once failed to come back and sign autographs. If you had ever been to Memorial stadium you know what a long trek it was up those ramps from the ground floor to the upper deck where the press box was. Brooks was not only one of baseball greatest players, he was and still is one of the greatest men ever.

18486094_1645962842098166_2859734496704247291_n.jpg

There are a handful of good players out there today, but they just don't make 'em like Brooks Robinson anymore. I never was an O's fan, but this guy was special.

Good Morning Everybody. 74° and overcast. Interesting day weatherwise yesterday. Wind was out of the SE at 30mph all day, with many gusts up to 40mph. Forecasters were predicting heavy thunderstorms and we were under a tornado watch for over eight hours. Nothing happened! At least not close by. A few trees down about 90 miles away is all that I know of. I sure could have used some rain. Forecast is the same for the next two days without the high winds...a more normal 15-18mph. I did remove my pool cover in hopes of catching some free water to top it off, but not yet. It needs about another 1500 gallons. Between removing the cover and the extended grocery/beer trek (with haircut etc) I didn't really have much time in the train shed...so I only ran trains yesterday.

Chet - You have snow and I had 90°+ temperatures earlier this week, with near tornados yesterday.
Johnny - At this time of year, we are apt to get severe weather any/all of the time until mid-June or so. As I have previously posted, we have a "safe room", but we have actually only used it once in 35 years - May 2015 when an actual tornado passed three miles south of here. Interestingly, the weather bureau tracked that one for over 25 miles on the ground through the countryside, without it hitting anything!!! The TV guys were (censored) lets say excited, until we lost power and had to move to the room.
Sherrel - You get hot air balloons and I get crop-dusters flying their planes just ten feet off the ground across the road from me...about 100' away. They are pretty cool to watch, and the pilot only does that field when the wind is still or is blowing away from our house.
Curt - Thanks and see above response to Johnny.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

So it's 2 a.m. almost on the dot, and the sound of a train wakes both of us up - except the nearest tracks are several miles away. We've heard that sound once before in our lives, so we ran to our basement safe room. Power is out - I think from a tree down on the lines somewhere nearby - we have a weather radio, battery TV, etc in our safe room, so we stayed up on the weather reports. Wasn't a tornado, but I wonder if it could have been one forming overhead, which is what I suspect that other sound was about 8 years ago. Dawn's light showed we didn't lose any trees, just limbs and leaf debris everywhere. Power is still out in our subdivision at 7:30 a.m.

Willie - Hope you escaped this severe stuff. I think it came at us out of OK and KS, not Texas.

Anyway, its 62 heading for 82 with chance of t-storms all day and tomorrow. If we get power back, I'll be in the trainroom most of the weekend :)

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

Back