Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Flying switches, they were fun. Over the years, the Camden & Amboy main was cut back in the middle, as the powers in charge decided there was no need for the stretch between Hightstown, NJ and Robbinsville, NJ. As time when on the Eastern portion was further truncated, with the track cut back from Hightstown to Cranbury, NJ. After this reduction took place, there was no longer a place to run around the train at Cranbury, so we would stop, bleed the air from the train, drop the train, pulling it to get it rolling, bunching the slack to make the cut, and ducking into the "Jamesway" siding, to allow the train to pass us on the main. There was enough room for about 17 car lengths, to clear the Jamesway switch. After the train rolled by, with a crew member applying hand brakes, to control the train's speed, we would bring the engine out, and chase the train down, couple on the fly, and stop the move. Exciting, huh?

Then, the brakeman's position was eliminated, and the job became a Conductor and Engineer move, we resorted to gravity, stopping, applying hand brakes, and bleed the air, then cutting off and clearing the main. Then the conductor would release the hand brakes and the train would slowly roll past. Once clear, I would radio him and he would stop the move, then walk up and bring me out and against the train.

One night, while walking up, the conductor noticed missing spikes and splice bars. Unbeknown to anyone in the operating department, someone in Engineering, had authorized the sale and removal of the main track between Jamesway, and the NJ Turnpike overhead bridge. Fortunately and perhaps because the cars were empty, and moving so slowly, nothing derailed, and we were able to walk the train over the "bad" track and out of harms way. After that, we shoved the train the three miles from Cranbury, to the new runaround at Forsgate Country Club.

Joe - I can remember a couple of places on the Northern Division of the Milwaukee Road where they did that. I was only about 12 or 13 at the time and was wondering what the heck they sere doing until my uncle explained it to me. If I remember, they weren't really supposed to do it but it saved them a lot of time to drop off a car at a grain elevator because there was no run around track at the location.

Good to have you back. I didn't know that you were still operating DC only. Guess us old guys would rather stick with what we know. As you know, I am DC only and do have two walk around throttles wired in. All it took were a raft of DPDT switches, some colorful works and some adult beverages. It has been working fine for years. Being that the layout is mainly a switching layout and I am the only operator, I really see no advantage of converting the layout to DCC. After see the numerous posts about people having problems with their DCC locomotives, I choose to keep it simple. I just want to put a locomotive on the track, turn up the throttle and watch it run.

You can go back into lurk mode now. Grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon, everybody..

Flying switches ?.... What could possibly go wrong ? ..... Here is a photo in a Northern Pacific book in my library. .... The caption describes this flying switch as "a less than successful move". Oddly the hopper remained on the rails but not the GP7.

Scan%20np_zpsliowdejr.jpg

Regarding Walthers Merchants Row series .... I have M R 1 and M R 2 in my fictional town of Blackhawk..

a%20city%20scene_zpss6ixbb20.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon, everybody..

Flying switches ?.... What could possibly go wrong ? ..... Here is a photo in a Northern Pacific book in my library. .... The caption describes this flying switch as "a less than successful move". Oddly the hopper remained on the rails but not the GP7.

Heck, he just has to keep workin at it and he'll catch on. (smirk)

Three day weekend ahead of me.
Think I'll try to finish the yard turnouts tonight.
Tomorrow, it's breakfast with the train guys, then pick up my two grandsons and take them to the Greenberg Train show at Chantilly, VA.
Get home about 2 or 3pm tomorrow and take the Harley out for a ride in the 70 degree temps.
My supply of Plastruct arrived today so I can resume work on the Diablo Canyon bridge. Both sides are finished, now to figure out how to join them together.
Monday is a Federal Holiday. Sleep in till about 5:30 or so then loaf around for the day.

I have posted about the Hiawatha Trail which is now a bicycle trail over the old Milwaukee Road right of way between Haugen, MT and Avery, ID. I had ridden in the cab of Box Cabs and Little Joes when it was a railroad, but I would be interested in taking this bike ride as it is such a beautiful part of the country. Brings back a lot of memories.

[video=youtube;zIP-KkSoxsw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIP-KkSoxsw[/video]

I have posted about the Hiawatha Trail which is now a bicycle trail over the old Milwaukee Road right of way between Haugen, MT and Avery, ID. I had ridden in the cab of Box Cabs and Little Joes when it was a railroad, but I would be interested in taking this bike ride as it is such a beautiful part of the country. Brings back a lot of memories.

I suppose the bridge is sturdy enough for bicycles. ;)

Joe - I can remember a couple of places on the Northern Division of the Milwaukee Road where they did that. I was only about 12 or 13 at the time and was wondering what the heck they sere doing until my uncle explained it to me. If I remember, they weren't really supposed to do it but it saved them a lot of time to drop off a car at a grain elevator because there was no run around track at the location.

Good to have you back. I didn't know that you were still operating DC only. Guess us old guys would rather stick with what we know. As you know, I am DC only and do have two walk around throttles wired in. All it took were a raft of DPDT switches, some colorful works and some adult beverages. It has been working fine for years. Being that the layout is mainly a switching layout and I am the only operator, I really see no advantage of converting the layout to DCC. After see the numerous posts about people having problems with their DCC locomotives, I choose to keep it simple. I just want to put a locomotive on the track, turn up the throttle and watch it run.

You can go back into lurk mode now. View attachment 60659

You noticed my signature :rolleyes:. My last layout was DCC, and there are advantages to using DCC. However, when I started this layout, I happened on a MRC Tech II 2400 power supply, and hooked it up. I still have a considerable fleet of DC locomotives in the fleet. I find DC operation fun. I am planning to wire the layout for DC Cab Control, and probably use walk around throttles, assuming I can still find them. I also have all I need to run DCC, but right now, I don't have any compelling reason to do so. As a single operator, I can only run one train at a time.

Good evening gang!
Not much news to report here today, just another stinkin day at w*rk!

Joe Glad to see you here again, I was starting to think you had been found in a Jersey landfill!

Montanan
We have a spot like that now thats part of a bike trail, the Salisbury Viaduct on the old Western Maryland main line over the old B&O (Now CSX) main line at Meyersdale PA.
16024890436_70159e5945_b.jpg

I've gotten some good shots of trains and helpers running light from on top of the bridge, as they head to and from Sandpatch. (I just can't find em right now!)

I must say, a bike or on foot, is one thing, but to cross one of these bridges astride a 16 ft tall mechanical beast pulling tonnage takes a special kind of man, one with cajones.:eek:

Tomorrow. Temps should be in the 60's, so some yard work is in order. Cya !

Good evening fellow Rail Benders, Ballast Tampers & Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, Things seem buy down here at Jeffreys' Dinner. Did you hear Joe telling his interesting story from the past? I'm hungry for some meat and potatoes and vegtables, have something like that? Pot roast sounds great!

Weather wise, It's been raining all day and very fortunately my recent patch work of yesterday and before has paid off as things inside are staying dry thank God.

I had a good stroke of luck tonight when I signed in, I saw my original track plan appear under prior images posted! This was great as this plan got wet and ruined when I had a leak in the garage roof a few years back. I've changed it a lot but it good to see it again.

Watch out for Chessie ;)

th

Say Louis: Aren't you referring to, 'Nessie' the Lock Ness monster?

Howdy .

Joe ... Good to see you. .... It is better here when you are posting.

Louis ... Wish I could get to Baltimore for the B&O Museum event. Keep us posted if you go.

Speaking of sea monsters ...... This appeared on our property when our lake flooded a few years ago.

511f020e-10f5-4e08-ba95-d428075f4eff_zps2d6ypmes.jpg

Garry: Had you only taken the shot from what appears to be the head back to where the body makes the S curve and left off the rest it would have been hard to tell it wasn't some other monster!

Good Morning All. Looks like partly cloudy and 46° to start the day. Did the grocery/beer trek yesterday, killed 3 1/2 hours of my morning. Wife who was off work, chose to stay home for some reason...probably to get away from me!
Didn't get as much time in the train shed as I wanted to get yesterday. Assembled some fencing for two different areas that I am detailing right now. I'm using the old standby Atlas picket fencing for one townhouse; and I am using some laser-cut Bar Mills "InstaFence" to fence off the RR ROW from the Wicked Wanda build that I did last summer. I know that you all want pictures, but I am not ready yet.

Chet's video answer your question? I have heard them called "Dutch drops" by older ATSF crew members. It's really neat to see one done by a crew that knows what they are doing. I used to see them at a siding on the other side of the Frisco tracks that ran alongside the place that I worked at for years. The BN takeover put a stop to the practice there in 1980.
Justin - Here is a picture that I posted a few months back of my Merchant's Row II build. I haven't detailed the storefronts on the left yet. The building on the right is a "Fitness Club", hence the completely covered windows on the ground floor.
View attachment 60652
As you can see, I did not follow the colors that they used on the box. It probably took me a week to do all of the windows, because I stop after about 45 minutes and set it aside. I paint the windows before I assemble the walls as it is easier to hold the parts that way.
Joe - Good to see that you are fine and have re-joined the motley crew here. Controversy? I still use DC and probably will never change, Chet and others here use it as well.

OK now, everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Say Willie: Your Merchant's Row buildings look real good and I like the variation in colors as well as the window shades which add a nice touch!

Now as far as Wicked Wanda's, my friend and HO modeler and artist in some respects assembled and painted a really neat WW's and even has some baudy girls showing to add interest and bring in customers he ordered from Knoch, I think? I can ask him if your interested. You can send a Pm if you want to find out more?

Joe - welcome back! Glad to see you are still actively working on your layout.

Karl - you've got my number, just text me or call when you're ready to talk.

Everyone else, have a great day!

Say Ken: I glad too your back is feeling better, lets hope it continues!

Good mornin' y'all, hope it's a Happy Friday.

David: In the absence of turning facilities, they simply ran around the train, recoupled to the opposite end, moved the markers and proceeded. Probably happened more often than we realize. That's why they mount headlamps on tenders. The worst thing was the rush of wind into the open cab, in the winter, as the train moved tender first. Keep in mind that railroads were always tight with a buck, (undercapitalized?), and only spent what they needed to, to provide basic service. The Strasburg Rail Road, in Lancaster County Pennsylvania replicates rail operation at the turn of the last century, shorter open ended coaches et. all, and pulls the train to the Amtrak connection at Lehman, runs around it to return to East Strasburg, tender leading.

Say Joe: Your info is appreciated, I rather assumed they must have done something like that as I guess most all station stops at least had run-a-round to work with. Now does that mean that the end coach with the deck on it would be coupled to the engine on the return trip or would it be swapped from one end to the other for the return trip although the deck would be facing the end of the RPO or Combine even so.

I also know that most of the early railroads ran on limited funds and mine is the same and therefore looks rather down trodden and well used. Managements fault, too much money spent at Wandas' and buying booze and not enough pinching nickel till the bull shits.

When you refer to the markers, you must mean the marker lights? Is it also correct for the lights to be Red front and rear and Green to the side of a caboose or passenger car? Is that different on a locomotive?

You mentioned the Strausburg RR operating backwards and I think I remembered having a DVD of them operating and think they showed that too?

Continued>

<Resumed

Morning Folks ... Just leave the pot for me. Slept in late because I could not go to sleep last evening and as I really had nothing really on my mind - I just could not doze off.

Good to see all the strays showing up again around here - lol. Told you! JOE is just crammed chock full of knowledge. BTW .. didn't most of the cars that were used have seat backs that they just shifted to the other side for the return trip?

Say Sherrel: Yes, especially the early passenger car seats had a movable back rest so they could be changed if desired. I've taken a ride some years back on the Sierra Railroad in one of their long coaches and they indeed did have the moveable seat backs. On the newer cars I'm not sure if that option is still available?

Hi guys!

Thanks for the kind thoughts and words, I'm still kicking, just taking it easy on the posting and paying attention to the outside world, nothing to see there so I don't bother looking anymore. My patience has run out, my "give a damn" is broken and I won't tolerate the FAKE anything anymore! I'm having SERIOUS "aging issues" over this last birthday coinciding with formerly minor injuries that will NOT heal correctly! My only optimism comes from knowing now WHY old men are so angry! LOL! MRR is trying to find a space in the new paradigm and I'm not sure it will. If it comes to THAT I'll give y'all first crack at the stock and get what I can out of it.
The only constant is change.

Happy Rolling.

Say Bruce:

Good to see you back. Don't get too dismayed about things, us older guys all seem to have one difficulty or another we have to put-up with it seems. Let your trains take your mind off your problems as you enjoy them as best you can. Your still here amongst the living so make the most of it!

Willie - Never mind - I get it - you must do this in areas where you haven't started the ground cover, and just let the overspray go onto the plywood. Gotcha.
Johnny

Say Johnny: As Willie was saying saying there are different ways of weathering the sides of the rail such as rail pen from Woodland Scenics, Track Painter - Rusty Rail which has an extra fiber tip. So once you get your rail tacked in place you can just place the tip against the rail side and move it along to paint the sides without hitting the top of the rail, unless you slip or the ties so you can go back and paint them as you wish. It also makes it a lot easier to paint the sides of a switch too as well as the points that move which painting with a spray can might cause problems. These retail for, $9.99 but have a 1/3 oz of paint and should go a fair ways and save a lot of clean-up too.

Flying switches, they were fun. Over the years, the Camden & Amboy main was cut back in the middle, as the powers in charge decided there was no need for the stretch between Hightstown, NJ and Robbinsville, NJ. As time when on the Eastern portion was further truncated, with the track cut back from Hightstown to Cranbury, NJ. After this reduction took place, there was no longer a place to run around the train at Cranbury, so we would stop, bleed the air from the train, drop the train, pulling it to get it rolling, bunching the slack to make the cut, and ducking into the "Jamesway" siding, to allow the train to pass us on the main. There was enough room for about 17 car lengths, to clear the Jamesway switch. After the train rolled by, with a crew member applying hand brakes, to control the train's speed, we would bring the engine out, and chase the train down, couple on the fly, and stop the move. Exciting, huh?

Then, the brakeman's position was eliminated, and the job became a Conductor and Engineer move, we resorted to gravity, stopping, applying hand brakes, and bleed the air, then cutting off and clearing the main. Then the conductor would release the hand brakes and the train would slowly roll past. Once clear, I would radio him and he would stop the move, then walk up and bring me out and against the train.

One night, while walking up, the conductor noticed missing spikes and splice bars. Unbeknown to anyone in the operating department, someone in Engineering, had authorized the sale and removal of the main track between Jamesway, and the NJ Turnpike overhead bridge. Fortunately and perhaps because the cars were empty, and moving so slowly, nothing derailed, and we were able to walk the train over the "bad" track and out of harms way. After that, we shoved the train the three miles from Cranbury, to the new runaround at Forsgate Country Club.

Say Joe: That's a very interesting story about your experience, I'm surprised the loco would stay on the rails, I guess it's weight held the rails in place, or did the loco just push the cars over the bad area rather than attempt to go over the area at all?

You noticed my signature :rolleyes:. My last layout was DCC, and there are advantages to using DCC. However, when I started this layout, I happened on a MRC Tech II 2400 power supply, and hooked it up. I still have a considerable fleet of DC locomotives in the fleet. I find DC operation fun. I am planning to wire the layout for DC Cab Control, and probably use walk around throttles, assuming I can still find them. I also have all I need to run DCC, but right now, I don't have any compelling reason to do so. As a single operator, I can only run one train at a time.

Say Joe: I also agree that for a single operator 'DC' is just fine for me also, so as you say which I've said too, especially with my uneven track work which I have to constantly watch to enure there no derailments and I like to operate slow anyway, 'I can only operate one train at a time'! What could be more prototypical?

I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Good morning y'all. Presently 22° and sunny, going up to 60° this afternoon.

Now does that mean that the end coach with the deck on it would be coupled to the engine on the return trip or would it be swapped from one end to the other for the return trip although the deck would be facing the end of the RPO or Combine even so.

David: In most cases, they would simply run around the train re couple on the opposite end and go about their business, without re-shifting the train. By Markers, I mean what ever the local practice is for designating the rear of the train. At night one or two red lamps to the rear, by day, it could be a red disk or red flag. Each railroad had their own practice.

I'm surprised the loco would stay on the rails, I guess it's weight held the rails in place, or did the loco just push the cars over the bad area rather than attempt to go over the area at all?

David: It defies logic, but on tangent track, even with spikes pulled and splice bars removed, empty cars at slow speed may remain on the rail. As long as the rail remains in place...During the Penn Central era, when you could pull spikes with your bare hand, it was amazing when you didn't have a derailment.

Next week is shaping up to be a busy one, The truck needs to go in for an oil change and a recall, the wife has to deal with MIL stuff, and I need to get my self an appointment with an orthopedic guy over my shoulder, and arm.

Good Morning Gang. 56° and overcast skies this morning. Looks like I'll get a few hours in the garden today, time to plant the next round of radishes (a little at a time so they harvest a little at a time), and plant a few beets. Skipping carrots this year, peas and spinach that I planted last week are peeking through the ground after the rain Tuesday. Lettuce will probably be today. Still too soon for warm season veggies like green beans, squash , tomatoes and peppers.
Trainwise, I continued on landscaping projects for most of yesterday. But I couldn't resist pulling another laser-cut kit off the shelf and "imagineering". More on that tomorrow.

Justin - I know that it is a bit before your era, but there is a very nice Appalachian B&O layout in the March Model Railroader. Some pictures of WM power as well.
Bruce - Stop and take a deep breath. Don't give up. Aging is a process that we can't stop, however it is also a process that we don't want to stop! Reminds me of a Don Nix song recorded by Albert King in 1971, "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die". The hardest thing for me is that injuries do indeed take longer to recover from. The trick is to realize that there are things that were easy when younger that tax the body more when you get older. Read some of Louis's posts after the baseball coaching begins again for him! There is a reason that I don't do soccer or flag football any more. I'll stick with walking and gardening.
Beady - Enjoy the show, it sounds like a pretty big affair. By the way, flying switches are really impressive when executed by an experienced crew. It does take four folks to do it right. Engineer to drive, conductor to pull the uncoupling lever while hanging on to the rear of the engine, switch-man to line the switch at just the right time and a brakeman riding the car...although I have seen them do it with three before, with either the conductor or switch-man chasing down the moving car and climbing aboard to set the brake wheel.
Joe - Interesting story. I thought that that kind of thing only happened on the UP! Best wishes on the orthopedic procedure. Hope that it goes well.
David - While I know what Wicked Wanda's was intended to be, and I have seen many fine representations of that, I am using mine as a simple boarding house as I already had enough "bawdy" houses on the layout.
Everybody have a great weekend.

Willie

Best wishes on the orthopedic procedure. Hope that it goes well.

I've been ducking this stuff for several years, didn't really care for the first doctor, but now, well...I have to do something, so I'm going to a different practice. Let them find the problem, and recommend a solution, then go from there. I figure that if I tell them too much, they will gravitate to what the other said without looking too closely, so I'll not mention previous diagnosis, and see what happens.

The MIL was doctoring for years, complaining about back pain, going to pain management, therapy et all. She had spinal surgery a little over a year ago, which fixed a problem, but she was still in severe pain. Somehow, she ended up in a Dementia unit of a Skilled Nursing Facility. Once we moved her to Jersey, we learned she had a deteriorated hip, that had been in a state of deterioration for a very long period of time. No one noticed this hip problem, as they were all focused on other "problems". Took a set of fresh eyes, to figure it out. Lesson learned, if you go to a new doctor, with all your old tests and records, they look at the same stuff the first doctor saw, and ignore other problems. You are going to pay them big bucks regardless, let them earn their money.

Sober Wisdom, that is what I needed and that is why I come sniffin back around. Perspective is provided once again, thank you. My right hand is inop, good thing I'm a lefty. Been in constant chronic pain since May of 88 and it keeps piling on, confusion, irritability, lack of concentration all that good stuff. Trying to stay off alcohol and pills is extremely difficult as they actually do provide temporary relief of the pain and I can relax somewhat. I just do not like the heavy buzz that goes along with them. Engaging the brain does also help if I'm really thinking about something else it is not so bad. I tried Grand Theft Auto Online and actually enjoyed it for quite a while before I broke my wrist slipping on ice, kinda weird hearing LITTLE kids who are WAY too young to be playing that game online but it is quite satisfying to hear them SQUEEK when I blow up their car with a missile from my jet! I have always enjoyed video games and this is one of the better offerings out there.

Tired of the cold, tired of the lies and tired of people making the SAME mistakes over and over with a PLETHORA of examples in place that would show them the correct course to the desired outcome!

Sober Wisdom, that is what I needed and that is why I come sniffin back around. Perspective is provided once again, thank you. My right hand is inop, good thing I'm a lefty. Been in constant chronic pain since May of 88 and it keeps piling on, confusion, irritability, lack of concentration all that good stuff. Trying to stay off alcohol and pills is extremely difficult as they actually do provide temporary relief of the pain and I can relax somewhat. I just do not like the heavy buzz that goes along with them. Engaging the brain does also help if I'm really thinking about something else it is not so bad. I tried Grand Theft Auto Online and actually enjoyed it for quite a while before I broke my wrist slipping on ice, kinda weird hearing LITTLE kids who are WAY too young to be playing that game online but it is quite satisfying to hear them SQUEEK when I blow up their car with a missile from my jet! I have always enjoyed video games and this is one of the better offerings out there.

Tired of the cold, tired of the lies and tired of people making the SAME mistakes over and over with a PLETHORA of examples in place that would show them the correct course to the desired outcome!
I live in the middle of New England, where the weather is not too bad, but winter can get a bit colder, more so than a few of you guys out in the northern part of the US or many of my friends in Canada, but as I get older I can see why alot of older folks move to Florida.

Well Howdy U'All. Thought I'd stop in for a quick cinnimum roll and black coffee this morning.
It's still cloudy this morning with expected scattered showers and about 60 for a high, so don't recon I will need the A/C in my truck fixed for a while. I'll wait until the temp hits 90 again to remember that it needs fixin.
We had right near 2 inches of rain here yesterday and last evening - it's been a lovely winter with long needed moisture in these parts. I guess up in LA and points North that they maybe will not be complaining about the drought for awhile as they have really been hammered for a while.

Interesting posts this morning. Made me realize that Eric and I are not the only ones with medical issues.
Been said many times, but my father used to tell me that getting old is not for sissies.

Willie I should have included you yesterday in the informative posts bit. I always look for your posts to see what you have going - and, You always provide! I really seriously need to turn off my computer, the TV, and my phone - then get back to accomplishing something rather than letting my mind and body go bye-bye. My medical issues have taken too much from me .. mentally and physically ..have to put a stop to that.

That being said -- I'll be back - later!

Back