Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

...Louis: I have had co workers who ran limited fantasy leagues, they involve a lot of work. Me, I'm an old school, casual fan of football, I follow the Redskins and Ravens more closely than others, but over all baseball and hockey are my favorite sports. Since the Redskins are playing the Jersey Jets, I'll get to see them on TV for a change...

I've never been involved with organization or administrating a fantasy league of any kind. To be honest I think fantasy sports have nothing to do with sports. In that so often the stats are not good indicators of the outcome of the game.

In days gone bye a quarterback who threw for over 300 yards was almost always on the losing team, times have changed. I miss 3 yards and a cloud of dust. For me the early-mid seventies were the high point of the NFL.

This is a banner Sunday for me; the Redskins at 1pm and the Ravens at 4:15pm.

Tried a little on the lighting, actually gave it a thought.
View attachment 53102

Lots of great equipment!

I see some Bachmann Nickle/Silver EZ track, if you don't yet have enough track for your huge bench work you could always set up the EZ track and controller separately. You could even place a little Christmas tree in the center.

Better to have too much bench work then not enough. You can always add to it slowly. If you ask me I say you have a good problem!

Lots of great equipment!

I see some Bachmann Nickle/Silver EZ track, if you don't yet have enough track for your huge bench work you could always set up the EZ track and controller separately. You could even place a little Christmas tree in the center.

Better to have too much bench work then not enough. You can always add to it slowly. If you ask me I say you have a good problem!

Thanks, but I'm like the forums delinquent child who yells "I learned it by watching YOU!" When it comes to this stuff. The E-Z actually plays nice with the flex an vice-versa, some ordinary cedar shims from hd can create acceptable grades 'bada-boom, bada-bing', no worries!

That was one of my shadowy 'plans' if I ever had such was a BIG table and just 'go'!

All told, I've got just over 5 scale miles of track right now and it will NOT be enough to 'test' this table!

498 sq feet of table area. I call it a '500'! LOL!

Good Sunday Morning/afternoon RR friends, Nov.18, 2015
Hi Flo and Francine, good to see you ladies again, I have to give you both credit, you always seem to be here for us Railroader's to meet come rain or shine or Holidays and your keeping Jeffreys' Dinner going real nice.

Per WU: Mostly Cloudy 98-100%, it's 68.7 °F - Feels Like 68.7 °F;
Winds are from the SW at 3.2 mphh;
Humidity is 69%;
The Barometer is 30.00 in/Hg.

Good Morning, Happy Sunday! 30° and sunny right now.

David: The item in the B&O photo is an interlocked split rail derail, because it is part of an interlocking. There are other split rail derails that are hand operated.

Other than that, I hope to finish another wall in the train room, before I run out of energy. I'll probably run out of paint at some point today, also.

Hi Joe: Thanks for the explanation, it sure looked to be some type of a derail but another question I have is why so close to to the other track? I guess space/the length of rail the derail is on could have something to do with it but maybe if it's a yard type situation the speed is held down so that spacing is sufficent?

Now I'm not sure just what is meant by an interlocking but I try and look that one up.
Joe: Ok, it's a form of signal relay, in essence in this case if I'm correct a giant Electrical switch, to make or break contact, as well as a Derail? Am I anywhere near close?

ErieRRChi_zps31cf3da8.png

David: when you look at the photo of the Erie main, you can see a much wider area between the tracks than you normally see in multiple track territory. This allowed trains containing excessive dimension loads to proceed without clearing for other trains, as they would on other roads. Thus the "Clearance Road" advertisement. There were other instances where this happened as a result of track reduction, but the Erie designed their line that way from the beginning. The comment about the 60" track gauge, was anecdotal, but the wider ROW was partially based on use of the broader gauge. My only personal experiences with the former Erie were in the Metro NJ/NY area, where the three and four track Main Line/Bergen County Line were of a more conventional arrangement, and the Northern Branch which was mostly single track.

Say Joe: Yes, the wider spacing between the two rail lines is very evident where in many cases sets of rails are only held at about a 60" or 5' clearance if I understand your prior terminolgoy?

Afternoon All,

The weather was beautiful here today. Right now it's 80 F with a cool breeze. Today I did some chores outside and shampooed MOH's back seat in her car. Youngest grandson got hobby paint all over it. I did get the vast majority of it out. The trucks for the F&C flat cars should be delivered tomorrow.

20151018_115712_zps6gvcgvki.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sry

SRY3.jpgSRY2.jpgSRY1.jpgSRY5.jpg

TOOT Here is some more SRY pictures I found. The last photo is how the ROW looks today. This is about ten miles from where I live.The poles for the catenary are still in plce.

steampastthefarm.JPG

Hey gang! I'm baaaaack, didja miss me? :D Been away from the computer at night, being entertained by window and door salesmen. :p Talk about boring! The same dog & pony show each night. Reminded me of "Groundhog Day".

images

When all the dust settled, we decided to go with the first company we interviewed! So we are getting all the windows in the house replaced, plus a new sliding glass door to the deck. Almost cost as much as my new (used) truck!! I really think it will help though, as my house currently has the original Anderson windows from 1971. The new basement flooring has been postponed indefinitely. :(

On the train front, I did manage to repaint and decoderize several Alco FA's so my Western Maryland quartet is complete. I just need to program the decoders to match speeds. Several SW9s occupy the workbench, but I have to dust them off first. Pics soon!

Louis. Sorry, but I took SF in the football pool this week!

L8ter!

Thanks hirailer, looks like the timber business keeps them busy, unlike MRL where it seems to be reducing.

Good evening RW's & SD's,

I've just started checking out credit card processing places so I'll see what evolves and let you guys know.

I think it is time to bust out the cleaning cars and 'implements of destruction', the SD45 is a 'touchy lil bugger' and does NOT like the #6 atlas turnouts, or dusty track AT ALL the long guide rail lifts the wheel off the 'hot' rail, a bit of creative dremmeling will FIX it just to deepen the 'trench' there so the wheel stays on the rail

Say NG/P: Some of the loco's seem to have rather large diameter flanges to them, or did, but I figured they were all made to a standards gauge at this time but I guess not, especially if your laying code 100 rail it seems very odd the flanges should bottom-out in the flange ways? Double check to ensure there isn't some plastic flashing left over causing the problem.

Your welcome btw for the info on the wheels. Kadee has a very informative information on which wheel sets work with what truck frames I'm fairly certain as well as what couplers work with which cars. A good place to check.

Tried a little on the lighting, actually gave it a thought.
View attachment 53102

NG/P: Do you remember my talking about the 45* corner cussets? At each of the places your tables butt together there is a 90* corner that your track has to attempt to arc around. If you had your carpenter make some 45* corner cussets to fill in those corners you could make a much smoother transition from one table to the other making it a lot easier to fit in the track. In one of the shots you posted some tack almost crossing the corner void. If he at least cut a three sided trangle with the two shorter legs of at least 12" + you'd open up a lot more useable table top area.

It really isn't a good idea to have to have rails running right along the edge of a table whether it along the front edge or the wall edge. leave some room for scenery or maybe some false fronts of factories you going to deliver to etc.

CHET,CURT. I knew that I was forgetting one or more names. Cabin Car, Crummy!

Hope you guys don't take away one of my chicken s.

Sorry about the day, Terry .. Glad to hear that some funds re appeared.

It's a wonder the cabooses were never called Chicken Coops among some of the other names? I really do love them myself and grew up always seeing them trailing along or having a helper pushing behind them.

View attachment 53121

Hey gang! I'm baaaaack, didja miss me? :D B

images

On the train front, I did manage to repaint and decoderize several Alco FA's so my Western Maryland quartet is complete. I just need to program the decoders to match speeds. Several SW9s occupy the workbench, but I have to dust them off first. Pics soon! L8ter!

Say Karl: You were gone? ?

LoL

Good evening everyone. Welcome back Karl. I have a different problem with windows, an 1987 version Anderson that developed cracks on the inner pane. Can't seem to find anyone interested in replacing the glass. Not lucrative enough for them. I guess. Maybe in February, when things are slow, eh? I suppose that means the local economy is better, I can probably fix it myself, although I'd rather not. BTW, how is the new truck running?

Speaking of basements, I finally started painting the train room. Finished 2½ walls, before I ran out of paint. 1 more gallon should be enough to finish the walls. I also started to repaint the floor, starting in the area where the modules will go. needs to dry at least 72 hours before I can place stuff on it, and a full four weeks to cure. Should have started sooner :rolleyes:.

Curt: That's a great looking station. Nicely weathered too.

Hirailer: That's an interesting Cabin Car there - RailLink? The BC version by chance?

Tony: The TV weather guy claims we actually had some snow falling here in Jersey too. Can't prove it by me, then again I spent most of the day in the basement. Going to be cold again tonight.

Louis: The "Deadskins" stunk it up at the Meadowlands this afternoon, and the Ravens didn't do much better in SF. At least, the Devils finally one this afternoon, 2-1 in OT, and so far the Mets are cruising.

David: A brief definition of an interlocking is an "arrangement of signals and signal appliances so interconnected that their movements must succeed each other in proper sequence. This arrangement also includes connected switches, crossovers and derails located within the limits of the Interlocking". Referring to our previous discussion, concerning the split rail derail, the track centers are closer due to the location being a terminal area. Speed restrictions other than those imposed by signal indication, may or may not be slow speed, depending on the location. I really need to dig out my MW4 (Conrail Track Engineering Standards Manual), to answer some of your questions. :).

Last edited by a moderator:
'Truss'- have been discussing that very subject tonight with my partner in rail-crime/carpenter. LOL! An excellent device for just such!

Speaking of custom modification, I managed to get the DDAX around an 18" with no problems after some, how shall we say, "adjustments".
WIN_20151018_215809.JPG

Good late evening,

Good evening everyone. Welcome back Karl. I have a different problem with windows, an 1987 version Anderson that developed cracks on the inner pane. Can't seem to find anyone interested in replacing the glass. Not lucrative enough for them. I guess. Maybe in February, when things are slow, eh? I suppose that means the local economy is better, I can probably fix it myself, although I'd rather not. BTW, how is the new truck running?

Speaking of basements, I finally started painting the train room. Finished 2½ walls, before I ran out of paint. 1 more gallon should be enough to finish the walls. I also started to repaint the floor, starting in the area where the modules will go. needs to dry at least 72 hours before I can place stuff on it, and a full four weeks to cure. Should have started sooner :rolleyes:.

Curt: That's a great looking station. Nicely weathered too.

Hirailer: That's an interesting Cabin Car there - RailLink? The BC version by chance?

Tony: The TV weather guy claims we actually had some snow falling here in Jersey too. Can't prove it by me, then again I spent most of the day in the basement. Going to be cold again tonight.

Louis: The "Deadskins" stunk it up at the Meadowlands this afternoon, and the Ravens didn't do much better in SF. At least, the Devils finally one this afternoon, 2-1 in OT, and so far the Mets are cruising.

David: A brief definition of an interlocking is an "arrangement of signals and signal appliances so interconnected that their movements must succeed each other in proper sequence. This arrangement also includes connected switches, crossovers and derails located within the limits of the Interlocking". Referring to our previous discussion, concerning the split rail derail, the track centers are closer due to the location being a terminal area. Speed restrictions other than those imposed by signal indication, may or may not be slow speed, depending on the location. I really need to dig out my MW4 (Conrail Track Engineering Standards Manual), to answer some of your questions. :).

Say Joe: If I somehow asked a rather pertinent question it was by total luck/mistake as I certainly had no intention of causing you a bunch of additional research and time expenditure. Your explanation is more than sufficient as I think I understand the need for sequential movements to either route and allow movement or halt through traffic. Again I may be off but I think I understand.

It sounds like you used Epoxy Paint on the floor due to the long drying time.
Your windows also sound like a problem too. While the weather where I at does get quite cold it's not as bad as the East Coast. My Aluminum framed windows are single pane which doesn't give much protection from the cold but what I do is take out the screen on the movable window side and and replace them with another frame with plastic in it to form a dead air space and also do the same for the stationary side which seems to help a lot. I have a 5'x5' lining room window I need to do something similar with as well as an 8 ft sliding glass door that causes a lot of heat loss.

'Truss'- have been discussing that very subject tonight with my partner in rail-crime/carpenter. LOL! An excellent device for just such!

Speaking of custom modification, I managed to get the DDAX around an 18" with no problems after some, how shall we say, "adjustments".
View attachment 53126

NG/P: Now your going to find it much easier to traverse those corners. I think that curve is a much larger diameter than 18" radius which would give you a half circle that is 36" from the outside rail on one side to the inside rail across the arc of the curve. I could be wrong but from judging by where the loco's are at it looks like a larger diameter to me?

In looking at the picture, I'd try to maintain at least that same or larger radius when your carpenter cuts the corner gussets which look like each leg from the Right angle apex [corner] should probably be about 2 ft. in length I would guesstimate, to be able to maintain that radius.

Generally speaking, the use of a 18TPI hacksaw blade is not regarded as "adjustments". :(

Generally speaking, the use of a 18TPI hacksaw blade is not regarded as "adjustments". :(

A HACKSAW??? (eeek! never) I used ordinary big toe clippers and it looks 'factory'! LOL!

In the picture, it is traversing three pieces of 18" E-Z track from my Bachman starter set, I HAD to use em cause it's all I've got left, I would not try to 'pull a fast one' on ya's! We laid out a 'three mile loop' in one lone line that goes back and forth, fun but no real yard action so, it will be changed.

With a bit more trimming it might make a 15"! We'll see.

Another "fine day in paradise", IF you call watching it "snow" paradise :(

Oh no!

Afternoon All,

The weather was beautiful here today. Right now it's 80 F with a cool breeze. Today I did some chores outside and shampooed MOH's back seat in her car. Youngest grandson got hobby paint all over it. I did get the vast majority of it out. The trucks for the F&C flat cars should be delivered tomorrow.

20151018_115712_zps6gvcgvki.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I have 2 grandsons and they can generate some work for me, I know how you feel, but thank God for grandkids.
Great looking model Curt!

View attachment 53121

Hey gang! I'm baaaaack, didja miss me? :D Been away from the computer at night, being entertained by window and door salesmen. :p Talk about boring! The same dog & pony show each night. Reminded me of "Groundhog Day".

images

When all the dust settled, we decided to go with the first company we interviewed! So we are getting all the windows in the house replaced, plus a new sliding glass door to the deck. Almost cost as much as my new (used) truck!! I really think it will help though, as my house currently has the original Anderson windows from 1971. The new basement flooring has been postponed indefinitely. :(

On the train front, I did manage to repaint and decoderize several Alco FA's so my Western Maryland quartet is complete. I just need to program the decoders to match speeds. Several SW9s occupy the workbench, but I have to dust them off first. Pics soon!

Louis. Sorry, but I took SF in the football pool this week!

L8ter!

We missed you Karl! I thought you might be doing something fun, how wrong I was! Good move on the windows and door. At least you can say you did your due diligence and they will pay for themselves in the loooooong run. If nothing else you get a green star!

When it comes to betting you should always bet with your head not your heart. One of the reasons I don't gamble is my heart is convinces my head every time!

Good late evening,

Say Joe: If I somehow asked a rather pertinent question it was by total luck/mistake as I certainly had no intention of causing you a bunch of additional research and time expenditure. Your explanation is more than sufficient as I think I understand the need for sequential movements to either route and allow movement or halt through traffic. Again I may be off but I think I understand.

It sounds like you used Epoxy Paint on the floor due to the long drying time.
Your windows also sound like a problem too. While the weather where I at does get quite cold it's not as bad as the East Coast. My Aluminum framed windows are single pane which doesn't give much protection from the cold but what I do is take out the screen on the movable window side and and replace them with another frame with plastic in it to form a dead air space and also do the same for the stationary side which seems to help a lot. I have a 5'x5' lining room window I need to do something similar with as well as an 8 ft sliding glass door that causes a lot of heat loss.

NG/P: Now your going to find it much easier to traverse those corners. I think that curve is a much larger diameter than 18" radius which would give you a half circle that is 36" from the outside rail on one side to the inside rail across the arc of the curve. I could be wrong but from judging by where the loco's are at it looks like a larger diameter to me?

In looking at the picture, I'd try to maintain at least that same or larger radius when your carpenter cuts the corner gussets which look like each leg from the Right angle apex [corner] should probably be about 2 ft. in length I would guesstimate, to be able to maintain that radius.

Eventually it will have four lines in each corner a 24", 22", 18", 15" to get em as far back into the corner as possible. out along the edge it will be flex as wide as I can go, not quite 2 feet on the corner pieces, maybe a foot, not too big, it will be mostly for the scenery, I won't have my 'permanent' lines going TOO close to the edge.

...Louis: The "Deadskins" stunk it up at the Meadowlands this afternoon, and the Ravens didn't do much better in SF. At least, the Devils finally one this afternoon, 2-1 in OT, and so far the Mets are cruising.

I could write 10 pages on the 2 games yesterday, but that would just open a wound that is already closed.

A potentially great "football Sunday" (that is what my grandson calls it) with both of our favorite teams on TV was... not as we hoped.

As things are going it looks like I might be routing for the Mets, just don't call them amazing, that wound from 1969 might never close!

Good morning everybody

33 with 88% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day everybody!

Back