Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Good evening. 60*F and clear with no wind here in central MD - perfect type of night to sit outside on the deck!

Louis, that's a great looking GP38 - it could use a bit of weathering though...:p

Ever since I finished with the McDonalds project, I've been plagued with low energy. Possibly from staying up until midnight and getting up at 5:00am the following morning - did that every weeknight for ~3 weeks but I never felt tired. Not anymore! For the past few evenings I've had no motivation whatsoever to go into the trainroom.

Guess I oughta try crashing early - g'nite!

I did edit one of my earlier posts about MDF, so you may have missed it. As you're intending (notice I didn't say planning) to move track around to experiment, I would strongly recommend avoiding MDF. Trying to push pins into it's surface will require a steel tipped finger and a hefty arm to push them in. That stuff is "as hard as the hobbs of" to nail into, but splits it's layers when nailing or screwing into it's edges. To do what you want, Homasote or foam (I would go with Homasote for longevity)

Thanks for the heads up on the 'working properties' of the MDF, I have seen what look like different 'grades' of the stuff, Some VERY hard and some not so much, almost 'fryable' (read, CHEAP!). I will be 'cruising' the usual locations for any suitable material that matches the desired 'feel' and price! Have even left leeway to handle a different thickness if I need to. The program track will go DOWN a bridge onto the layout so the grade really will not be a factor as it is a 'one way' bit there.

Chet - that thing would be perfect for the Nullabor Plain main line Down Under!:cool:

Cooooooeeeeeeeeeeee!!

sunset-railway_1597587i1_zpstamhmpat.png

Good evening. 60*F and clear with no wind here in central MD - perfect type of night to sit outside on the deck!

Ever since I finished with the McDonalds project, I've been plagued with low energy. Possibly from staying up until midnight and getting up at 5:00am the following morning - did that every weeknight for ~3 weeks but I never felt tired. Not anymore! For the past few evenings I've had no motivation whatsoever to go into the trainroom.

It could be the let down of having finishing the project and nothing more to requiring your immediate attention?

Thanks for the heads up on the 'working properties' of the MDF, I have seen what look like different 'grades' of the stuff, Some VERY hard and some not so much, almost 'fryable' (read, CHEAP!). I will be 'cruising' the usual locations for any suitable material that matches the desired 'feel' and price! Have even left leeway to handle a different thickness if I need to. The program track will go DOWN a bridge onto the layout so the grade really will not be a factor as it is a 'one way' bit there.

Say Paratrooper: The OSB, Oriented strand board, larger irregular shaped chips and strips of wood glued together, 7/16" called 1/2" is holding up fine for me with No Sag. It's used for the base in roofing with Asphalt shingles. It's also impregnated with glue so it's water proof and not affected if it get wet. I have proof of that as I had a leak directly over what will be my second loop which has a 4'x4' sheet of OSB on the table acting as a work area. It got very wet yet no Sag or damage!

Check it out.

Louis, that's a great looking GP38 - it could use a bit of weathering though...:p
:) I like my trains to look just like that.
Here is one for you Ken, ignore the CSXT marking ;)
2023b&o.jpg

Ken I use to always say "there will be plenty of time to sleep when I am dead" I had no idea how fast I was brining on the big sleep with that kind of thinking. I learned the hard way how important sleep is and also how important a good sleep schedule is. Sounds like you are learning the same lesson.

By the way that MacDonald's you built is FANTASTIC!!!

Take good care of yourself my friend because nobody can do it for you and I can't wait to see your next project.

Good morning everybody!

65 with 83% humidity under clear skies filled with stars and a bright crescent moon in southeast Baltimore.

I saw that moon and thought of CJ I hope all is well for him.

Have a great day everybody!

Say Paratrooper: The OSB, Oriented strand board, larger irregular shaped chips and strips of wood glued together, 7/16" called 1/2" is holding up fine for me with No Sag. It's used for the base in roofing with Asphalt shingles. It's also impregnated with glue so it's water proof and not affected if it get wet. I have proof of that as I had a leak directly over what will be my second loop which has a 4'x4' sheet of OSB on the table acting as a work area. It got very wet yet no Sag or damage!

Check it out.

I will be going out today and search around different stores until a stack of something calls out to me.

Check it out.

That is the only worry I would have with the MDF 'sag factor', I could shore it up with more 'cross ties' under the table but I'd rather not have to. 3/4 would probably not be a problem if I did not need 16 sheets to cover this monster! $$$$$$ That's LOCO and roller money I'm cutting into now! Can't have THAT! LOL!

Chet - that thing would be perfect for the Nullabor Plain main line Down Under!:cool:

Could get a bit boring. Sort of reminds me in interstate 80 when you head west from Salt Lake City, but a whole lot longer.

Starting off at 58 degrees with highs only expected to be in the 60's. Light showers.

The coffee 57.gif is great, and so is the company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wifey asked why I've been in such a hurry to get this going. I asked her if she had seen the 'news' or any T.V. lately and she said she had. I told her I had too and THATS WHY! Every minute I can spend on this layout is a minute I'm NOT listening to some politician SCREECHING nonsense or a 'news' story that does nothing more than make you feel bad! Or some gawd awfull show that is NOTHING more than people treating each other like s#it! Yea, gimmie a layout any time over that crap!

Most of you remember about 2 months ago, I had an issue over a laptop I purchased on E-bay. I returned the item, and received a refund. I found another laptop on E-bay, and purchased that. The seller never shipped it. I finally received a refund from E-bay for that, and bought a new one locally, in person.
I had an issue with my Apple desktop ( they really don't respond well to falling onto a wood floor), and went in search of a replacement. I found a good one, again on E-bay, and purchased it. This one is not an all-in-one like I previously had, so I needed a monitor. I found one at a reasonable price, again on E-bay, and purchased it. That was two weeks ago. The seller said he would provide a tracking number. He has not, and the monitor has not shown up at my house. So, on e again I am having to go through the refund request process. I purchased a new monitor through an online official retailer, and it should be here Saturday.
I am wondering what these E-bay sellers hope to gain by selling something, getting the money for it, pay the listing and sales fees, then having to refund the money to the buyer?
It is getting old, fast. It may be some time before I purchase anything else through E-bay.

Looks like no more rain for a while and we're heading back to the 80s.

I put on a first/base coat of grey wash on the mountain yesterday. The first 2 pics don't show it up all that much so I snapped these 2 up close ones this morning. I was at the grocery store yesterday morning and decided to try my old laundry dye recipe and picked up a pack of "pearl grey" powder ($2.38). 1/2 tsp.powder in a quart of water is what I used for this coat. Mostly, I just wanted to see how well it would "take".

I just got done with first layer of latex and some casting molds I'm making of some small rocks I found that I'll try to make some overhangs with. Of course I've never done anything like this either. I can't know how well it'll turn out, or won't, if I don't try.

If nothing else I like being able to see some detail at a distance instead of all this blazing bright white naked plaster and stuff.
I really like the close up with the portals on the right. Just the "gnarly" look I was looking for!!
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Mo...lRoad/Mountain - first color wash - 7 OCT 015

Terry - Are you sure that Murphy isn't hiding under your desk. During our renovations we have ordered a lot of accessories and other goods on th einternet, Amazon and other retail sites, not ebay, and have had great service.

Can't believe that you have had so many problems. Im not a regular on ebay, but in some cases I have found that I have been able to get a hold of some hard to find items on ebay, but never had any problems with purchases. Look under your desk the next time you put in an order.

Good morning ....

It makes sense for Trains to include a GP38, because a lot of railroads owned them.

Terry .... Glad Ebay refunded your money. Also, they do cancel memberships for problem sellers. We've had our share of Ebay adventures.

Eric ... Glad your scenery project is prgressing so well.

NG .... Evidently, you are making alot of progress with your layout too.

Most of you remember about 2 months ago, I had an issue over a laptop I purchased on E-bay. I returned the item, and received a refund. I found another laptop on E-bay, and purchased that. The seller never shipped it. I finally received a refund from E-bay for that, and bought a new one locally, in person.
I had an issue with my Apple desktop ( they really don't respond well to falling onto a wood floor), and went in search of a replacement. I found a good one, again on E-bay, and purchased it. This one is not an all-in-one like I previously had, so I needed a monitor. I found one at a reasonable price, again on E-bay, and purchased it. That was two weeks ago. The seller said he would provide a tracking number. He has not, and the monitor has not shown up at my house. So, on e again I am having to go through the refund request process. I purchased a new monitor through an online official retailer, and it should be here Saturday.
I am wondering what these E-bay sellers hope to gain by selling something, getting the money for it, pay the listing and sales fees, then having to refund the money to the buyer?
It is getting old, fast. It may be some time before I purchase anything else through E-bay.

Woa, woa ,woa, SOME time???

You'd ACTUALLY try em AGAIN???

I seem to recall one of the definitions of insanity...

We know you are into MRR, but I think you might need REAL help if you are going to give THEM another chance!

Looks like no more rain for a while and we're heading back to the 80s.

I put on a first/base coat of grey wash on the mountain yesterday. The first 2 pics don't show it up all that much so I snapped these 2 up close ones this morning. I was at the grocery store yesterday morning and decided to try my old laundry dye recipe and picked up a pack of "pearl grey" powder ($2.38). 1/2 tsp.powder in a quart of water is what I used for this coat. Mostly, I just wanted to see how well it would "take".

I just got done with first layer of latex and some casting molds I'm making of some small rocks I found that I'll try to make some overhangs with. Of course I've never done anything like this either. I can't know how well it'll turn out, or won't, if I don't try.

If nothing else I like being able to see some detail at a distance instead of all this blazing bright white naked plaster and stuff.
I really like the close up with the portals on the right. Just the "gnarly" look I was looking for!!
http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Mo...lRoad/Mountain - first color wash - 7 OCT 015

Man, that IS looking sweet!

Back