Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Spreading the MRR word on the VET sites on the face thingy and got a TON of 'likes' on the suggestion to The Brothers to get into it!

Hopefully some will show up here.

Spreading the MRR word on the VET sites on the face thingy and got a TON of 'likes' on the suggestion to The Brothers to get into it!

Hopefully some will show up here.
What happened to the "enter your password so we can scold you" thing?

Starting a search for 5/8 fiberboard, they SAY they MAKE it, but I have not found anybody around here that actually sells it!

1/2 will probably sag too much and 3/4 is just a bit too heavy. I COULD go 3/4 the way this thing is built but it is almost as pricey as finished ply and I'm gonna need a goodly bit to cover this thing! Another 'crunch point' looms.

Good morning .

Terry in Wisconsin ... Trees look great.
Curt ... I like your photo.
Chet ... .Your ice house scene looks great ... Interesting old photo of reefers being iced.
Toot ... As others have said it is Alco's version of the GE U50.... Not sure why UP favored the U50 and purchased many more of them.

I completed my small office building, and am ready to start scenery in the corner of the layout which includes several rural buildings and structures.

Garry, probably, other than the reliability problems, was the fact Alco let everybody know they were getting out of the locomotive building business. I know how inclined I would be to throw a bunch of money at a company after they told me they were going out of business.

Garry, probably, other than the reliability problems, was the fact Alco let everybody know they were getting out of the locomotive building business. I know how inclined I would be to throw a bunch of money at a company after they told me they were going out of business.

Reminds me of a similar story in the 1950's regarding Fairbanks Morse. ... Illinois Central was looking at which diesels to use to replace its steam freight locomotive fleet. They were seriously considering purchase of a large fleet of FM Train-Masters, but FM was having financial difficulties and was about to exit from the locomotive business. That opened the door for EMD, and IC acquired a large fleet of GP9's instead.

Time to hit the road. Being we started the day off with a large diesel, here are a couple of large steamers.

1200px-Virginian_Ry_2-10-10-2_Mallet.jpg

Lotsa drivers.

This is the Russian AA-20, a 4-14-4. Not articulated. The largest rigid frame locomotive.

ussr_aa20-1a.jpg4-14-4.jpg

Models probably wouldn't be recommended for 18 inch radius curves.

Afternoon, all! 55f and mostly sun.
Thanks for the comments, guys!
Curt: Not a new section, just part of the layout that needs more scenery. The mainline disappears to the left under the bridge into staging about 25' away. The mainline, sidings, yard, etc are done. I just need a bazzilion more trees!
NG: I would strongly urge you to go with at least 1/2" plywood.

That's all for now!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Don't they have something in Russia called The Steppes. How would big locos like that get up and down them?

From what I could find out about the locomotive, the guy who built it saw the UP 4-12-4 and wanted a bigger version. It turned into an oopski. The locomotive was so large it destroyed the points and frogs on switches and they didn't have turntables large enough to turn it.

They did make a brass model of the Virginan 2-10-10-2, but I doubt anyone made the Russian locomotive.

Starting a search for 5/8 fiberboard, they SAY they MAKE it, but I have not found anybody around here that actually sells it!

1/2 will probably sag too much and 3/4 is just a bit too heavy. I COULD go 3/4 the way this thing is built but it is almost as pricey as finished ply and I'm gonna need a goodly bit to cover this thing! Another 'crunch point' looms.

I did edit one of my earlier posts about MDF, so you may have missed it. As you're intending (notice I didn't say planning) to move track around to experiment, I would strongly recommend avoiding MDF. Trying to push pins into it's surface will require a steel tipped finger and a hefty arm to push them in. That stuff is "as hard as the hobbs of" to nail into, but splits it's layers when nailing or screwing into it's edges. To do what you want, Homasote or foam (I would go with Homasote for longevity)

Holy maceral Andy! We have some exotic stuff in here tonight, but for my money you can't be this one.

DSC_5850.JPG

Have a good night everybody!

Back