Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Good morning folks.

It's cloudy and raining right now. My grass wants the rain and I want green grass, everybody's happy!

I broke down and bought a new detail brush to help with the kit painting. In the past I've masked off and either rattle can painted or used my airbrush. I've been using my mixed bag of old brushes this time and sadly, I haven't cleaned them like I should in a timely manner in the past. I should be able to finish the fine detail painting without the slop of a spreading brush.

Time to get ready for work.
Have a good day everyone.

You can have some of mine. By the time I get to mowing the yard, I may have a hay field. Have another bowling tournament this weekend so I won't be able to work on it this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy.

I hope Bill T shows up. The thread is approaching 100, and I like Bill's coffee and historic photos.

Karl ....... Like you, SD70ACe's are too modern for my layout.

My most modern locomotives are now SD24's such as these: ...... .

SD24%20fl%20miill_zpsieemnlxy.jpg

Another strikingly photo, Garry. I will never understand why the BN went to that disgusting green and black paint.

Been totally overcast, even to the point of a few rain showers .. Just enough to make you turn on the wipers before it quits.
Very cool at around 60 degrees. I think the forcast is for 90's next week.

Got my Chemo pills today to start taking Monday. After reading all the instructions and warnings .. I just hope I survive.

Sherrel, just remember, when they write all those warnings and possible side effects, they're also covering their butts, so that no-one can say "you didn't tell me about that".

Another strikingly photo, Garry. I will never understand why the BN went to that disgusting green and black paint.

Been totally overcast, even to the point of a few rain showers .. Just enough to make you turn on the wipers before it quits.

Got my Chemo pills today to start taking Monday. After reading all the instructions and warnings .. I just hope I survive.
I don't know why in so many cases, the cure is often worse than the illness.

Good evening fellow Gandy Dancers,
It's been a while since I posted, about seven days ago, as I recall, I came down with one heck of a case of Intenstinal Flu and Diarreha that really derailed me for about four days although I was fortunately able to get up and fix some food after the second day. Prior to that all I wanted to do was get something to drink and back to sleep. I had some very troubled sleep and that usually happens when I caught the Flu, wish I could say I was messing around down at Wicked Wanda's prior!

Prior to the above happening I did get the uprights in place to extend my upper main line on about another eight feet but still need to remove the first curved portion of this to use as a template to make cutting the sound board very simple. The six foot straight section where a second passing siding will be is simple enough to cut.

Now, to top things off, while I was in need of my cell phone my provider, PureTalk USA [PT], who uses At&t lines and equipment and lines decided to lower the signal strength in my area making it next to impossible to call out or receive calls! If that ain't a hell of an Oat! I'm going to do some checking about FCC rules dealing with a provider providing adequate signal strength when selling time to a customer as PT told me At&T wasn't required to maintain the area of coverage they formerly provided so my signal strength may well be less or non-existant! It's been next thing to non-existant.

Howdy.

I hope Bill T shows up. The thread is approaching 100, and I like Bill's coffee and historic photos.

Karl ....... Like you, SD70ACe's are too modern for my layout.

My most modern locomotives are now SD24's such as these: ...... .

SD24%20fl%20miill_zpsieemnlxy.jpg

Garry, nice shot of your SD24's as well as the scene which looks great
Yes, I hope Bill is doing Ok too, I'm not sure what's happened to him but he is not a moderator, as he mentioned to me in the past so we just need to find out how to go about starting a new posting section unless we want it to continue on past 100 posts?

Sherrel, Most definitely be cautious as it's often happened that Drs. can and have over medicate a person. It happened to my Dad. Not only that but different medicines can can have an adverse effect too!?

If you do take it just be aware of how your body feels.

Sherrel, just remember, when they write all those warnings and possible side effects, they're also covering their butts, so that no-one can say "you didn't tell me about that".

Toot's kind of saying the same thing I think.

Say Karl, How are things progressing on getting your layout started?

Good morning. It's raining and 52.
I am still a memner of the club. I made the board member sweat for a couple of hours last night before I gave him my dues check. It seems the static I was getting was about one particular club member, and niw that I have paid, the club can pursue action against that member, without appearing biased.
More about the website issue later.

58° and steady rain here right now.
Suppose to head to the upper 70s but with heavy thunderstorms by noon and the rest of the day.
Possibly even some hail and high winds - but nothing much tornadic if any.
I got a lot electronic stuff yesterday so I may do some tinkering with that stuff.
E.

Glad to see that things worked out at the club.

35 and snow up here. Leaving shortly for a 200 mile trip to Missoula for our bowling tournament.

Good day gentlemen!
Hope that everybody's enjoying a pleasant weekend..
So far, it's a nice and sunny day here in Glasgow...
Finally read the Beer Line and the three Milwaukee Road caboose books, so now, I'm at last enjoying that massive Hiawatha book!

DSC_1451_zpsayvidjmq.jpg

Good morning, 39*F and cloudy here in central MD. Radar actually shows some light snowfall [!?]

Terry - I'm glad things worked out between you and the club. Usually it's just one jerk who's the driving force behind that sort of situation, but oftentimes that person has a lot of political clout within the org so people are afraid to oppose them.

You guys in the Southeast - hope you won't be affected by any of the tornadoes TWC is predicting for your region.

I went to an op session last night at the house of an old friend, someone I haven't seen much of in the past 10 years since he moved to Hagerstown (an hour's drive west of my place). Glad I went, I had a great time. His layout is steel mill-based, it's roughly the same size as mine but the mill occupies his entire layout. The number and variety of train movements was enough to keep four operators busy for a few hours.

I have several chores on my ToDo list: De-winterizing my mower and mowing my lawn for the first time in the season, changing the oil in my truck, getting a haircut, and picking up my youngest daughter from a friend's house where she spent the night after the Prom. [Hopefully she'll be getting her drivers license sometime in May..?] If I get all those things done, I might have time to apply some home-printed decals to this 1:87 transit bus model I've been working on.

Have a great day!

Hi all. Woke up at 4 am to my little dog howling. I was angry he woke me up until I found our he was letting me know rhe sump pump quit. Got enough water to soak the blankets in his kennel. Unhook the float switch and the pump runs. Gonna have some clean up and a switch repair but I guess it could have been a lot worse. So much for my original projects for today.

Good morning. 45° and sunny in Central Jersey this morning.

Garry: I really like your SD24s.

Sherrel: Good luck with the chemo round. Hopefully you attain the desired results.

Terry: Happy to hear you resolved the situation at the club.

Ken: You lead a busy life :rolleyes:. Your comment served as a reminder that I also need to tune up my lawn mower. The lawn has suddenly greened and is growing rapidly.

Have a great weekend.

Good morning folks.

It's cool and gloomy again today. I guess it's suppose to start warming up again in a few days.

I'm thinking about installing my backdrop again. I had to trash the old one when I moved so I have to start over. I can't decide if I want to paint the sky blue color before or after I install it. Last time I installed the Masonite hard board first, counter sunk the screws, mud and taped the seams and painted over that. Well, I have some permanently installed buildings in that section now and I'd hate to bump or splatter paint on them. I think I'll start by priming and painting the sections of board and installing them that way. I could always cover the seams and screws after. Yup, it's been decided. It's funny how I can make a decision as I type my options on here!

Hope everyone is well.
Have a good day.

Sherrel ... I'll be praying it ill go okay for you. Thanks for commenting on the photo. I was not a big fan of the BN green paint scheme either.

David ... Thanks for commenting on the SD24 photo.

Joe .. Thank you, too.

Well as I said, I took my wife out to dinner in Paducah Thursday. She is getting spoiled. Went to dinner with neighbors to celebrate 3 birthdays including here last night at Patti's restaurant in Grand Rivers. The other two birthdays were for Gus, a model railroad friend here and for the wife of another model railroad friend here, Dan.

Meanwhile, a model railroad friend will be visiting here from Iowa for a layout tour of my model railroad. I'll see if Murphy's Law of Layout Visitors is applicable again.

Good morning. I promised to let everybody know about my dealings with my recently discovered entailer. I got the box with the engine in it yesterday, delivered by Fedwrecks. The engine was new, undisturbed, and in its original, unopened box. Evrything was as described, and it runs and sound good. If it wasn't for Walthers' repair and parts policies, I would start actively looking for more of their stuff.
Here is a link to a video I took of it last night, in the company of a Bowser U25B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddVHJTUnRUw

Tinkering has turned into a serious effort soldering leads and resistors to my little lamp posts.
While re-reading that article on block detection the other day, the author described how he built the base for his signals.
How perfect! A small piece of square styrene tubing with a flat piece on top.
So I ordered a couple different sizes. Figured I best get my lamps all ready to get wired up.
Golly mercy how tedious. I'm about half-way there. I'm testing every one before I put on the shrink tube. So far no failures.

I already painted the fan vents on the engines this morning. I can always dirty them later if I want.

Back to the lamp posts.

Well that wasn't too much fun. At least I got them all done none the less and not a single one failed on me. Yay!!
I have no idea what that single strand angel-hair wire is they used, but gees.
I think it might have been easier tying HO scale trout flies. Thank God I had some foresight in one of very first orders to get a magnifier hood. Reading glasses certainly would not have cut it.

I think I need different solder. Although I had some flux paste some of it just didn't want to take. Lord knows how long I've had all of it or what I got it for to begin with but I doubt it was meant for modelling or fine electronics. Probably I got it installing a new water heater. Actually I've done 4 of those in the last 30 years. 2 for me and 2 for other friends.
Think I'll wait to get new/different solder before I try building a circuit board.

Storms will be rolling in a couple hours from anyhow.

Back