Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Louis .... You asked what happened to me since then. :confused: ..... Well. Lots of stuff actually. :rolleyes:

Today is a big day here ! ..... My main squeeze, Shelley, has her birthday. ..... In her honor, I might actually listen to her. ... but not too much because I don't want to spoil her. ... :D

Louis .... You asked what happened to me since then. :confused: ..... Well. Lots of stuff actually. :rolleyes:

Today is a big day here ! ..... My main squeeze, Shelley, has her birthday. ..... In her honor, I might actually listen to her. ... but not too much because I don't want to spoil her. ... :D
Just don't let your wife know about your main squeeze, unless they are the same person. Maybe not even then...

Terry ... Well of course, they are the same person. ..... We have a lot fun together. ... We have 5 adult kids and 6 grandkids.

Good afternoon. It's sunny, windy, and 55 here. There are freeze warnings for the county just North of us.

74, mostly cloudy and breezy here today.
I had friends here last night until around 0300. Everyone wants to fly my new helicopter and see my blinking circuit stuff.
We all love showing off our toys whether hand built or store bought.

That's ok... except for getting woke up late this morning with a toe curling cramp in my foot and calf. I'm limping today. Feels like I got hit with a ball bat.
I'll have my [former] Marine buddy go on a beer run for me when I see him. If not, I'll limp myself up there and back like always.

I'm getting too old for this staying up all night stuff.
E

No such thing as a former Marine E. A marine is always a Marine.

No. I think you mean to say "ex Marine" - no such thing.
Same goes for the SEAL teams or any spec-ops member. It never leaves you and the nightmares persist no matter how long ago that was.

You would love this new r/c helicopter I got. That thing is smooth flying, easy [for me] to maintain a pretty stable hover. It doesn't bank so it isn't like flying the Loach (Hughes D500). I ordered the Chinook CH-47 this morning.

Years back when I was on the Florida Highway Patrol I was recruited to get a rotor rating as I already had a pilots license. Loved flying choppers. An R/C group had a chopper and I had a heck of a time trying to fly it. It's a good thing that they had their training sticks mounted on the skids. The real ones were easier. Now I only fly fixed wnig aircraft.

Years back when I was on the Florida Highway Patrol I was recruited to get a rotor rating as I already had a pilots license. Loved flying choppers. An R/C group had a chopper and I had a heck of a time trying to fly it. It's a good thing that they had their training sticks mounted on the skids. The real ones were easier. Now I only fly fixed wnig aircraft.

I remember you talking about your FHP helo adventures during an airline crash recovery effort.
That's why I mentioned it. :cool:
I haven't had any "front seat" time in many decades but I'd wage good money a 30 minute re-orientation flight in a simple 172 would have me going comfortably once again.

I couldn't get any flying time in during the late 80's and early 90's due the the expense of raising kids and ended up working at our local airport in 2001 for a few years. Got to know a lot of the pilots and was able to get re certified at minimal expense. Now I know quite a few people there and have a number of aircraft that I can use to get time in the air. All I have to do is pay for the fuel. It was a job that I really enjoyed. We refueled aircraft, put them into and took them out of hangars for the owners, serviced incoming and outgoing aircraft. We also had the military contract and fueled military aircraft and National Guard aircraft.

Here's yours truly fueling an F-18.

F-18.jpg

I manage to get up three or four times a month. I would like to get up more often, but at the price of Avgas, I have to watch it.

I couldn't get any flying time in during the late 80's and early 90's due the the expense of raising kids and ended up working at our local airport in 2001 for a few years. Got to know a lot of the pilots and was able to get re certified at minimal expense. Now I know quite a few people there and have a number of aircraft that I can use to get time in the air. All I have to do is pay for the fuel. It was a job that I really enjoyed. We refueled aircraft, put them into and took them out of hangars for the owners, serviced incoming and outgoing aircraft. We also had the military contract and fueled military aircraft and National Guard aircraft.

Here's yours truly fueling an F-18.

I manage to get up three or four times a month. I would like to get up more often, but at the price of Avgas, I have to watch it.

That is so cool!!! The Hornet is a true piece of work!! I have many pics of them all over my walls - including one I took myself with a zoom at Blue Angel #7. I was at the first shuttle launch after the Challenger accident and met a Navy LCDR instructor pilot for the Hornets. We drank all day together and he invited me to come his base (which is now closed) and might could have gotten me up in one. The base closed and we lost touch. How fun that would have been!!!

Dam if I can remember the name of that base right now! I've been on that base several times and hung with some of the guys out of VFA-15 "Valions" squadron - with many drinks (of course). I did get the t-shirt and still have it although it is well tattered and raggedy.

Guess it wasn't meant to happen.

We were lucky enough to host the Blue Angels for an air show while I was working at the airport. What a hoot! We were kept busy fueling all sorts of aircraft during the show, but when the Blue Angels went into action, we had the best seats in the house. The entire crew was great and they did take a bunch of pictures with us and left a beautiful autographed photo for us which is still hanging behind the front desk of the FBO. It was quite an honor to work with them.

Afternoon All,

Only thing I accomplished model wise today was spray paint the 6 legs. I used Rustoleum Camouflage Flat Black (rattle can). It is a nice thin spray and gives a really flat finish when dry unlike a lot of "flat" finishes. I will be back to working on the bridge on Monday. Tomorrow MOH and I are driving to WPB again. We have a meeting with our son then we are going to supper. We are going to spend the night then see our son again before returning home Saturday night. Sunday is back to painting at our daughters house again, so I will talk to you guys on Monday.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

When I was building my sanding towers and asked about CA glues, regular super glue didn't work for me but the yellow (water activated Gorilla did) someone later mentioned he uses the clear version of the Gorilla stuff.
Can someone point to an Amazon link to exactly that stuff so I can be sure to get the "right stuff". I'll be needing some in a week or so.
E.

Afternoon All,

Only thing I accomplished model wise today was spray paint the 6 legs. I used Rustoleum Camouflage Flat Black (rattle can). It is a nice thin spray and gives a really flat finish when dry unlike a lot of "flat" finishes. I will be back to working on the bridge on Monday. Tomorrow MOH and I are driving to WPB again. We have a meeting with our son then we are going to supper. We are going to spend the night then see our son again before returning home Saturday night. Sunday is back to painting at our daughters house again, so I will talk to you guys on Monday.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

I'd be happy to help with painting Curt. I don't like doing it but everyone says I'm dam good at it.

MOH - I've seen this mentioned many times. What does that mean?
On my land surveyors forum they/we often refer to our "SWMBO" - "She Who Must Be Obeyed"/wife/girlfriend.
Is it something like that?

Can someone back me up or tell I'm seeing things....
I read recently someone is making an EMD SD70ACe in HO that CAN handle 18R curves.
DCC and sound equipped.
Was I dreaming?
Wish my UP DDA40X could handle it. I probably shouldn't have bought it at the time but it was too cool to not have.
Given my short physical track - but long on imagination in my head - I shouldn't dabble with 4 axle locos.
But they are too dam awesome!!!
I'll trade or barter if someone is interested. I still have the box and papers. Makes for a great display piece and that's all it's good for to me right now. I can always get another one day.
E.

Can someone back me up or tell I'm seeing things....
I read recently someone is making an EMD SD70ACe in HO that CAN handle 18R curves.
DCC and sound equipped.
Was I dreaming?
Wish my UP DDA40X could handle it. I probably shouldn't have bought it at the time but it was too cool to not have.
Given my short physical track - but long on imagination in my head - I shouldn't dabble with 4 axle locos.
But they are too dam awesome!!!
I'll trade or barter if someone is interested. I still have the box and papers. Makes for a great display piece and that's all it's good for to me right now. I can always get another one day.
E.

I swear I'm not a narcissist by replying to my own post... I checked my mail box just a bit ago and got a Walthers catalogue.
Page 7 shows exactly what I had heard about.
$200 DCC with sound on board!
Some said they would be surprised if my SD40-2 would run on layout. Never had a problem. I don't know why the SD70 should be much if any different. Truck/wheel separation distance perhaps? I don't.

I might have to check my account and see can I swing it.
What say Yee good Brethren?
E.

Come on now! Where did everyone go?
I'm waiting for you all to either talk me into it (the SD70ACe) or talk me out of it.
I'm leaning toward the CSX high headlight. Plus I fancy the blue-yellow scheme.
E.

Back