YOWZA!

I had to look at this again to see what I might have missed the first time around. Amazing, but unless I had a lot of help, ongoing maintenance might be an issue for me. Some LHS owner must be glad that this customer is near him!
I'm sure the local lumberyard, or big box store are licking their chops as well!

How much of this layout is actually built by the owner?
I guess that it really depends on how much time he has to expend. If I had unlimited funds and worked on something of that size 8-10 hours a day, 7 days a week, I could probably get that much done in 2-3 years. I would need a helper for the benchwork though. The narrator did indicate that he did the signals and towards the end he mentioned that he showed up for stretches of time (5-6 days) quite regularly to do stuff.
Was thinking the same Willie, seems you would spend more time with maintenance and cleaning than actually having fun with the trains…
I noticed that there were no trains running anywhere; and there were very few industries that actually had freight cars at them. And, at 3:22 there are several containers on flatcars parked at a feed mill & lumber yard!o_O Of course, staging something of that size might take some time.

I would have thought everything electrical would be removed and undercover so it's not getting covered in dust while they work on the new section, plus the last thing you need is sawdust getting into the locomotive drive gears.

Just watched the video for first time. I was listening to a story on the radio so I had it on mute. I'll have to watch it again w/ audio.

Initial reaction....Holy Crap!

I noticed that there were no trains running anywhere; and there were very few industries that actually had freight cars at them. And, at 3:22 there are several containers on flatcars parked at a feed mill & lumber yard!o_O Of course, staging something of that size might take some time.
There were quite a few pieces of rolling stock on display, on the wall behind glass.:)

Wow . With a lay out that large money is not a issue so I'm sure he has a whole maintenance crew to keep I clean. Very nice and many hours of fun and you won't make it back to the same spot for more then a hour .

Back