Your Favorite Rolling Stock....what did you order?

I'm not sure if the Western Pacific and Rio Grande ran similar F3's. I believe the D&RGW ran some FP7A/F7B's.
The FP7s were the WPs power. I think they ran ABB. D&RGW originally ordered a few sets of Alco Ps ABA sets, to pull the Zephyr. The original scheme was the Silver with Aspen gold nose. That soon gave way to the black with gold stripes, That changed to the gold with black stripes. I do not know when they switched to F units, but the PAs got moved to the Royal Gorge and Yampa Valley Flyer.

On the CB&Q the F units didn't last long either. The Q always loved the E units. I was unaware the Q ever had any E6s. I believe they went straight from the E5s to E7s.

I do have a picture of some California Zephyr cars behind a WP 2-8-2. It was pre-delivered cars undergoing trials before the CZ was implemented. But yes the CZ was designed for diesel power. A steamer never pulled it in regular service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original comment. I'm completing a new inventory and much to my surprise I find I have more Proto-2000 freight cars than even Athearn BB. So in that regard I guess Proto-2000 would be my favorite. Now all I need is enough time to assemble all those kits.

Back to the original comment. I'm completing a new inventory and much to my surprise I find I have more Proto-2000 freight cars than even Athearn BB. So in that regard I guess Proto-2000 would be my favorite. Now all I need is enough time to assemble all those kits.
Approximately how many P-2000 cars do you have?

I just ordered one of these Kato Canada Pacific AC4400CW locomomo's. It produces 4400 horsepower.......which to me seems like a lot for N scale :eek:.

176-7215.jpg

CP-9680-LD-RB-20130508-1520.jpg

Also on the order with the above CP engine.........four Southern Pacific 90 ton hoppers. More variety of car types is needed, but I keep finding deals on 90 tonners. :eek:

Atlas40456-SP481071.gif

Atlas N 90 ton hoppers:
15 ATSF

6 CSX

5 Union Pacific

4 Southern Pacific

3 N Y C

1 BNSF

1 Western Maryland

1 Canadian National

1 Reading

1 P L E

1 C N W

Just looking at Railfan's pic of that CP AC4400CW and the chains across the step overs connecting it to the loco behind. Reminds me of riding the old suburban passenger cars in Auckland NZ which were wooden clad with open ended platforms. To get from car to car you had to cross a connecting bridge plate, fortunately with steel side gates, not chains. For a child of 7 or 8 it was quite a terrifying experience as the cars rocked and moved sideways and you tried to cling to those gates as you went across.

Approximately how many P-2000 cars do you have?
About 400 so far (the word "competing" in the original post was a poor choice and is deceiving. "Working on" would have been a better choice). That is as opposed to about 300 Athearn BB, 50 Athearn Genesis, 100 Branchline, 100 Roundhouse, and 50 or so Intermountain so far. I think I'm about 1/5 the way through cataloging everything. I have not gotten to the covered hoppers and I know I've got a pile (cases) of Proto-2000s there that I picked up from TrainWorld in NY for $2.99 each.

Just looking at Railfan's pic of that CP AC4400CW and the chains across the step overs connecting it to the loco behind. Reminds me of riding the old suburban passenger cars in Auckland NZ which were wooden clad with open ended platforms. To get from car to car you had to cross a connecting bridge plate, fortunately with steel side gates, not chains. For a child of 7 or 8 it was quite a terrifying experience as the cars rocked and moved sideways and you tried to cling to those gates as you went across.
Toot, My mother brother sister and me used to ride the train often between kansas city and St. louis, mo. in early 1960's. I was about 8 then.......and crossing outside from car to car was pretty exciting and scarey! Riding trains when I was young was a powerful sensory experience which inspired a lifetime of interest in models, machines, and vehicles of all types.

Toot, My mother brother sister and me used to ride the train often between kansas city and St. louis, mo. in early 1960's. I was about 8 then.......and crossing outside from car to car was pretty exciting and scarey! Riding trains when I was young was a powerful sensory experience which inspired a lifetime of interest in models, machines, and vehicles of all types.

Funny isn't it that something scary and awe inspiring can translate into nostalgia. The station we boarded from was at the bottom of a downgrade, so as the trains came in, it was with a flurry of hissing steam, clanking rods and squealing brakes. The sense of security fortunately returned once safely ensconsed in a seat with a window (most essential).

Back