Your favorite locomotive?

This has probably been done before but I thought it would be interesting to hear what is your favorite locomotive and why.
N-scale model or prototype? For N-scale models I would have to go with the original ConCor PA. It was the first N-scale locomotive that really performed well. Not to mention that it is hands down the best looking diesel locomotive of all time.

If you are talking Prototype I think it would have to be one of the non-streamlined Hudson or Northern Class locomotives. Santa Fe's 6400s and CB&Q 3000s come to mind.

I really like the high nose SD-24, It's beautiful in Southern black.

Hmm... I prefer something
orange...
o2.gif

For freight: EMD SD70 series; from the early SD70's to the latest SD70ACes

For passenger: EMD E6, with the beautiful slanted nose

Definitely the zebra striped CN SD40-2W for me. I see them all the time & I love their K3H horns. But I pretty much love anything diesel, steam was gone long before I came into existance. It just doesn't interest me as much as 80's EMD and everything since then and even GE's later stuff like dash 8's, dash 9's, AC4400's, and Gevo's.
9271.1266713132.jpg

Please explain more. Why?

I would have to say that the build of the first SD50's on SD40-2 frames in the Altoona shops for NW (known as a SD50S, currently rostered as NS 6300-6304 SD40E's) is what started my facination for the series. As the 70 series came into being (70 spartan cabs, 70M, 70/75I, 70MAC, 70M-2, and 70ACe), they give the GE's a run for their money as far as reliability and you don't really see a good rebuild program for the GE's as compared to the EMD's. Every class 1 and most class 2 have a sd70 class loco on their roster. And besides, with every change of the series, there has been some body changes to reflect it, as with the gevos, there hasn't.:cool:

I would have to say I have three favorites.
Any SD40-2 and the WC SD45's(saw many of these in action), and also the Fairbanks Morse H24-66 trainmaster. I wish the H24-66 would of lasted longer. I read that they were ahead of there time back when they were built.

I would have to say that the build of the first SD50's on SD40-2 frames in the Altoona shops for NW (known as a SD50S, currently rostered as NS 6300-6304 SD40E's) is what started my facination for the series. As the 70 series came into being (70 spartan cabs, 70M, 70/75I, 70MAC, 70M-2, and 70ACe), they give the GE's a run for their money as far as reliability and you don't really see a good rebuild program for the GE's as compared to the EMD's. Every class 1 and most class 2 have a sd70 class loco on their roster. And besides, with every change of the series, there has been some body changes to reflect it, as with the gevos, there hasn't.:cool:
Ok that is interesting and makes sense. Then there is also the fuel economy. I was pretty certain it could not be the "good looks" of the unit. When I first saw a set I thought,. "what an ugly utilitarian box on wheels that is".

I like the EMD F series. Not sure why, but the bulldog look just screams streamlined diesel power to me. I also find the idea of B units sort of fascinating. That a company would create a unit that could only work in conjunction with another unit sort of astounds me in this day and age where virtually every unit can be lashed together or operated independently as needs may be.

I also have a thing for switchers. Again, not sure why but somehow I think it's their boxy-ness and dedicated purpose that appeals to me.

In steam, I like the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy and 4-6-6-4 Challenger, although I have to confess most steam appeals to me. Something about the chuff, chuff, chuff as they go by just gets the blood pumping.

Lastly, I like the Union Pacific Gas Turbine units. I just find them technologically interesting and, of course, huge.

That a company would create a unit that could only work in conjunction with another unit sort of astounds me in this day and age where virtually every unit can be lashed together or operated independently as needs may be.
I read that the reason for the cabless B-unit back then was the unions had a deal that every cab had to be manned with a crew of two. The train needed engine power but did not need that many workers to run it.....so they made cabless B engines that could be added in multiples and controlled from the single front cab. The first F-units....the FT's A and B units were connected semi-permanently with a steel drawbar instead of more versatile couplers....and I think that also was an effort to comply with union agreements.

Mike

Overall, I'd have to go with C&O's M1. Even though they didn't get most of the kinks worked out till near the end, they were massive and looked awesome.

For diesel it'd have to be the GP30s. They just looked so brutish.

For a traditional steam engine, it's close between C&O's H-8 Allegheny, H-7 Chesapeake (purely for appearance as they didn't use them very long) and PRR's T1 Duplex.

If I could only have 1 engine on my layout, it'd be the M1... other than no one making it in N... but I'm working on a scratch build to remedy the situation.

My favorite locomotive is the Northern Pacific Z-5 class Yellowstone. This locomotive made quite an impression on me as I had the opportunity to ride in this locomotive numerous times when I was a kid, having relatives working not only on the NP, but also on the Milwaukee Road (family gatherings could be a lot of fun). Their last duty before they were scrapped was as helpers over Bozeman Pass between Livingston and Bozeman, MT. Needless to say, riding on that locomotive as a ten year old was quite a hoot. The 5100 class Challenger is a close runner up.

Attachments

• np5005.jpg
    np5005.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite would be Norfolk & Western's heaviest 4-8-0's the M2c's. 52000lbs Tractive effort, short wheel base, big boiler with Worthington feedwater heater, Baker Valve gear and 15,000 gal tender. They were built in 1910 and most lasted into the mid 1950's.

Didn't the Z-5s get leased to the D&RGW from time to time, or what that the DM&IR Yellowstones.?

The DM&IR had 18 of their own Yellowstones, 8 M-3 class, and then they ordered 10 more duplicates, that were the M-4 class. The NP did not lease any Yellowstones to the Rio Grand, the DM&IR did. The M-4s were delivered directly to the D&RGW. The D&RGW sent a letter to the DM&IR saying that they were the finest locomotives ever to operate on its road. They were used as helpers over the Tennessee Pass over the Continental Divide.

The NP used the Yellowstones for its Mandan Division, which ran from Mandan, ND to Glendive, MT for fast freight service. Prior to that, the NP had to doublehead Mikes over the Mandan Division due to the short steep grades on that division. Aclo built th first order of NP Yellowstones. When they re-ordered, the NP accepted Baldwins bid for 11 more.

The Southern Pacific AC-9 cab forwards were effectively a Yellowstone run in reverse, built by Lima. I believe that the SP also had some conventional 2-8-8-4's in service too. The B&O also has a smaller Yellowstone class locomotive they aquired during WWII. These were smaller due to the tunnel restrictions on its Cumberland Division.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DM&IR had 18 of their own Yellowstones, 8 M-3 class, and then they ordered 10 more duplicates, that were the M-4 class. The NP did not lease any Yellowstones to the Rio Grand, the DM&IR did. .
Thanks, I knew there was a story there that could be drawn out. Too bad this thread isn't in the prototype discussion area.

Back