WPF May 30th - June 5th

Bruette

How unusual is this? For me to post a picture is rare, but to start the WPF is a first! This won't be hard for the expert modelers to top.

I had to share my recent acquisition, a very special (to me) Tyco ALCO 430 Spirit of 76 with a Presidential Seal in good condition.

My Layout has not improved much but at least I have made enough progress with reorganizing my inventory to run trains again. Its great to hear my locomotives run and smell the smoke again!

My layout is proof you don't have to have anything fancy to enjoy your trains.

Tyco Spirit of 76 ALCO 430 Presidential Seal.jpg

Congrats Louis for being #1 this week! Very good looking 430 but if you smell smoke while its running you might have an electrical problem. ;)

Louis, nice looking locomotive. I believe I had one in full Santa Fe War bonnet in my youth.

I have a bunch of TYCO 630's and 430's downstairs, I use them to make MLW 630 M's. Your's appears to be near mint condition.
Cheers
Willis

You are a great bunch of guys, Its nice to share my toys with you.

My wife thinks of them as silly toys and she is partially correct. They are toys, but not at all silly to me. I have a wonderful wife that never complains about my trains, the time, money or space they take up, but she could careless when I tell her about my latest toy. Only thing she likes about them is that they make me happy. I feel the same way about her jewelry.

That is where you guys come in. You know how happy our hobby can make us and sharing it is one of the best parts of it.

Rest easy Mike, the smoke and engine sounds were coming from my Lionel trains, I should have clarified that, sorry about that. Yes I do run O and HO on the same layout. Only because I have not yet found the time to get my HO bench work done. Maybe if I stop playing with my trains and fooling with my inventory I would have more time. I would not be too upset if the smoke had been coming from the Tyco locomotive. God knows I have plenty to cannibalize for parts, plenty of experience rebuilding them and I enjoy working on them.

Gary I have a 4 of those Santa Fe versions, 3 I use for parts and one in very good condition. I also have a Tyco Santa Fe GP20 in outstanding condition! I bought it on eBay form a guy that refurbished it and even hand made the railings and stanchions. The craftsmanship is as good as any I have seen, I really consider his work to be art and you know how much I admire an artist. I hope my work can be half as good as this guys work is. I was not looking to buy a GP20, I was just so impressed by the craftsmanship and no one had bid on it. I paid $24.99 including shipping. I feel I nearly stole it considering how many hours went into the work. its one of my most prized trains. The guy was happy when I told him how much I admired it and how happy I am to have it.
I Have not yet made any progress with scenery and art work on my layout, but you inspired me to start learning techniques and watching other peoples work for inspiration. I have had hours of fun learning. I now feel I can actually do a fair job at the work too. Thanks to you Gary my interest in scenery went from none at all to moving up fast on my to do list. After little league baseball season is over, I coach my grandsons' team, I will have more time and hopefully get it to the top of my to do list. That is if I can stop playing with my trains and changing my track plans, but its so much fun!

Thank you Willis and Tony, the decals are not perfect, but they are the best I have and have seen on eBay. I only paid $27.35 including shipping. I now have bought 17 Tyco ALCO 430s. Some for restoration and others for parts. I also have four 630s and the one GP 20. All totaled I have spent $433.01 on my Tyco Locomotives and another $75.95 on the detailing packs and other parts. I know it is a lot of money to spend on toys, but these Tyco trains are very special to me. My single Mom could not afford Lionel, but I know she did with out something to buy me my first train set, a Tyco and I really loved that train set!

I've rambled on quite a bit, but thinking about the Santa Fe has reminded me of a special (to me) story and if you don't want to read it you don't have to!

When I got interested in model trains full time I wanted to replace the trains I lost after my divorce. I bought a Tyco spirit of 76 and pieced together the rolling stock that I could never forget. I also bought the Life Like Chessie/B&O GP38 and the 100 ton hoppers I had. These were the trains I set up every year under our Christmas tree. I was so happy and I showed my oldest daughter. I asked her "do you remember these trains?" she said "kinda, but the one I remember the most was a red and silver one with big red letters" I had to think and then I remembered. One Christmas eve both my spirit of 76 and my Chessie/B&O broke down. I was working a second job at Toys R Us and I did not have time to go to another store so I bought the only locomotive they had left, a Tyco Santa Fe ALCO 430 red and silver. I only used that train for a short time until I fixed my others. I never used it another Christmas. Of all the years I had trains under our tree she remembers the one Christmas I used the Santa Fe. That must be one of the most memorable paint schemes in history.

I have to agree with you regards the wife. Mine also doesn't really give two hoots abouts the trains, how they look etc, but she does love to watch and hear them running. She has her "chat rooms" I have my trains :)

I also agree that showing what we have, those things that make us proud, happy, confused, frustrated and keep us broke, no matter how good or bad they are, is what helps maintain the interest and desire. What is the point of having something you truly love, and not be able to, or wanting to, share that thing with others?

You make some great points Tony, but one thing you left out. Guys like yourself with creativity and artistic talent when you share your work you provide ideas and inspiration for creatively challenged people like myself. For example; your idea to use unused things to make a diorama. I added that to my to do list!

Thank you Willis and Tony, the decals are not perfect, but they are the best I have and have seen on eBay. I only paid $27.35 including shipping. I now have bought 17 Tyco ALCO 430s. Some for restoration and others for parts. I also have four 630s and the one GP 20. All totaled I have spent $433.01 on my Tyco Locomotives and another $75.95 on the detailing packs and other parts. I know it is a lot of money to spend on toys, but these Tyco trains are very special to me. My single Mom could not afford Lionel, but I know she did with out something to buy me my first train set, a Tyco and I really loved that train set!
Well if you really want sweeter running locos, you can put the bodies on Athearn Chassis. If shipping across the border wasn't so expensive I'd send you a box of Tyco parts. Shipping was one of the reasons I quit eBay everyone was making more money on my stuff than I was.

I've rambled on quite a bit, but thinking about the Santa Fe has reminded me of a special (to me) story and if you don't want to read it you don't have to!

That's what forums are for, a member can participate or not, his own decision entirely. BTW it's a good story :D

Cheers
Willis

Hey Willis,

That is very thoughtful of you to offer the Tyco parts, but I am an old industrial mechanic and I know from my experience of working on strange and sometimes rare equipment that you always need spare parts. I have bought much more spare parts then I would ever need for my Tyco locomotives. My plan was to have enough spare parts so my grandsons can keep these running for many years. I don't even know if they will be interested in them, they are only 5 years old.

Which Athearn Chassis fit under the Tyco ALCO 430? I would be interested in trying that out. I am pretty good at taking apart what I have and rebuilding it, but I have no experience with modifications. I am a mechanic, not an engineer, but if someone has blazed the trail I will follow. I have about 10 good looking shells left over and I would be interested in putting at least 4 of them on Athearn chassis.

I agree with you about eBay. Only the postal services, PayPal and eBay make any significant profit. I do sell a few things on eBay, but I never expect a profit. if I get back 80% of what I paid its better then just sitting in a box and someone else can enjoy it.

Thanks for everything!

Nice loco Louis, brings back memories!
I agree this is a great bunch here, I really need to get back on the Pc more often now that my noggin is "back to normal". (?):rolleyes:

So I finally managed to get started on the new layout!
This is the humble beginnings of the lower staging yard.
The inner radius is 26" , the outer is 38" and is built with code 100 Peco switches and track from the previous layout.
I am planning on using sensors at the fouling points as well as the same video monitoring system I had on the old yard.

Attachments

• staging 1.JPG
    staging 1.JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 209
  • staging 2.JPG
    staging 2.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 169
Hey Rico!

I have missed you, I hope it was nothing serious, either way I am glad you are doing better and back with us!

Your staging tracks look great, the big radius curves are very realistic looking!

Nice yard Rico! It's always nice to start on a new layout!

I've started on a new layout recently as well. I've got the benchwork in, the track down and now it's time for scenery. I got the first module nearly complete this weekend. All that is left is to paint the road, add some road lanes and then install the crossing flashers.

I really like how the first section turned out. My favorite part is the rusty and overgrown siding. :)

Rico,

Very nice yard and as has been said, very realistic looking!

BMR777,

I too love your old over grown rusty siding - the whole thing looks great, but that siding is excellent.

Some what sad day for the ol' layout. We are going to be moving in a few weeks and with the rainy weekend I figured it's about time to take down the layout and get it ready to move. I'm posting a few before and after shots. My idea is to figure out a way to be able to stack and transport the sections. The legs just slide out and with some simple (yeah....right) carpentry I should be able to transport easily enough without too much damage.
DSC00971.JPGDSC00987.JPG
DSC01010.JPGDSC01011.JPG

You have a great looking layout. I would like to be sitting with my toes in the sand next to that lake listening to a ball game!

I wish you well with the move.

Started on a new building for my switching layout, this is Central Oregon Pumice. I have roughed in the main building and can now start working on the conveyors.

Oregon+Pumice+2.jpg

Louis, many years ago I bought three TYCO C-630's at a train show in the LA Area. It might have been 1978? Anywho my idea was to make a couple of runners do them up in UP armour yellow and pull some freights. The ones I had a least were not good runners but I knew that. I managed to modify Irv Athearn frames and trucks for them. I don't remember what I used or rather which I used. I did the research and took time painting the pair. I also did up the handrails and a few minor mods. When the frames where done (with Athearn motors) I had a couple of nifty loco's / products I was very proud of.

Remembering my efforts make me happy they were fun projects. Seeing yours bring back those memories. I remember being especially happy with the early battery flashing lights and how much work it was to get the green paint on the short hoods done. Memories. Trust me Louis I get it.:rolleyes:

Thank you Jim!

I appreciate you sharing your experience and memories with me.

I believe for guys like you, me and many others that memories are a big part of our hobby. I know for sure that they are for me!

Here is the newest addition to my D&H. Atlas Trainman GP39. Installed the digitrax and did some light weathering this weekend.

IMAG0727.jpg

Back