Wpf 4/11-13/08

P1010009-15.jpg

Hi all,

I know its been awhile since I've been here, but getting up to my eyeballs in a prototype model weathering project these past 5 weeks left me very little online time.

Carey - nice job on the 'backdated' SW1000. I always try to use detail parts from the scrap box myself, gotta love that 3-foot rule!

Rico - I really like that Sperry car

John - great nighttime urban scene

Jeffery - nice cityscape, reminds me of Hagerstown (MD)

Crandell - nice view looking down the embankment!

Mike - looks like you're accumulating quite a roster of late-sixties Pennsy power, your Merchant Row is off to a good start too!

Ray - that farmstead keeps lookin' better every week! I've strung the same kind of wire along my utility poles...;)

Josh - that truck chassis looks like an International, you've aroused my curiousity for sure

DaveC - some mighty-fine lookin' Guilfords you got there

Chip - nice shots of the viaduct, do you plan to model that on your N-scale layout?

Steve - love those trackside trees! Did you have to paint or dye 'em, or will they stay green

BobB - your work is top-notch as always! The Myjack looks great in orange (I've only ever seen other models in yellow)

I'll follow-on later with pix of my latest...

-ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what has consumed all my modeling time over the past 5 weeks: a CSXT PS2 cement hopper, in leftover Chessie paint with patched-out CSX road number on each side. My goal was to build a model that would survive scrutiny over on the MTW "Prototype Model Showcase" sub-forum. To satisfy the criteria, I needed to supply a few prototype photos and paint/weather my model exactly as was pictured - every ding, scratch and rust spot visible in the proto-photo, as well as identical details (grabiron arrangements, etc.). From the looks of things over there, I believe I passed the test.

Here is a pic of the 'raw' model, fresh from the box:

PS2_BnO_raw_model_side_640x480.jpg

I removed the side ladders on the model and replaced them with sets of 3 horizontal bars to match the prototype; I also transplanted the brake wheel from the top to the lower position. Aside from that, I've spent over 5 weeks painting this thing to look exactly like the prototype does in the only two pics I've found of this car. In fact, I painted, then stripped & re-painted, the ends of this model no fewer than 4 times - wheel-splatter is a real bear to replicate in model form.

Here's the first proto image, a full side view:
pictures%5C25056%5CP-0319.JPG

...and my attempt to replicate this particular side:

PS2_Chessie_model_side_640x480.jpg

This next image was the one that made me want to do this particular model - a 3/4 angle shot by Tim Huemmer when the sun was low in the sky:
pictures%5C1770%5C20040926_0268.JPG

...followed by my own rendition:

PS2_Chesssie_model_closeup_640x480.jpg

Here are some rooftop views, with the weathering based on photos of different [but similarly-styled] covered hopper cars:

PS2_Chessie_model_topdown_angle_01_.jpg

PS2_Chessie_model_topdown_angle_03_.jpg

Great work from you all!

Spacemouse: Great catch on those 2 NS GP38 rebuilds! (5662, 5664)
Railphotog: excellent looking Mijack!
CSX_road_slug: Excellent work on dup-ing the cov hopper!

Ah ha! I think I know what this is for. Good luck Josh, I'll look forward to seeing the finished product.

Chris

Josh - that truck chassis looks like an International, you've aroused my curiousity for sure
-ken
Mwahaha... I spent my whole day Saturday up to about 11PM working on it. I'd say I'm about 60% done now.

The contest is not secret:
http://www.truckstopmodels.com/

It's my entry that is, not gonna post it until mid to late May, just to see what I'm up against.

P.S. Ken, that is one mighty fine hopper, gotta stop by MTW and read the reactions.

Finally got the patch job done on this CNW C44-9W. She had a bit of a turbo fire before the patch was applied by the UP.

100_1800.jpg

100_1799.jpg

Ken Looking good Ken, i would say thats spot on, the trees will stay that colour, think it'd dye, i also put spray paint on, do ya you see the crane in the yard :)
Jerome another stunning job you have done there.
Jeffery the loco on the left looks like it's due some new springs, thats a great shot.

Back